[comp.sys.next] No Matlab, no NeXT

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (05/09/91)

crum@alicudi.usc.edu writes:

>A related note: Maple, another great math-related package, is being
>ported to NeXT.  It will include a significant (user interface?)
>upgrade, as I understand.  The person working on it was at yesterday's
>meeting of the Southern California NeXT Users Group (SCaN)

I for one would be very interested in news on the MAPLE port to NeXT.
-Bill
--

EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw
SMail:          Math Dept. -- 314 TMCB; BYU; Provo, UT 84602 (USA)

pulliam@nas.nasa.gov (Thomas Pulliam) (05/09/91)

  In a follow up on MatLab for the Next.  I also stongly suggest
everyone interested get on the horn and let MathWorks know there is a
market out there.  My inside info says if they get a big enough
push they may fall over.

  By the way try contacting Chris Velis  (508) 369 5115 at MathWorks.
He's been real helpful to me.

             *********************
             *                   *
             *      You're       *
             *                   *
             *       In A        *
             *                   *
             *       Box !       *
             *                   *
             *             @1990 *
             *********************

   |  Thomas H. Pulliam                   |
   |  MS 202A-1 NASA Ames Research Center |
   |  Moffett Field, Ca  94035            |
   |  (415) 604-6417                      |
   |  pulliam@rft29.nas.nasa.gov          |
   |  pulliam@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov        |

Blue Whales with Peace and Farewell

dscy@eng.cam.ac.uk (D.S.C. Yap) (05/09/91)

sksircar@shade.Princeton.EDU (Subrata Sircar) writes:

>Matlab is one of the best products I've seen.  Our lab swears by it.
>Mathworks doesn't seem to have any plans to port it, which is a
>shame.  If they did, I'd probably buy a NeXT.

We do dynamics research and use matlab extensively.  Right now I'm
looking to spend some money.  If Matlab was available for the NeXT,
we'd buy three.  Since it isn't we likely won't buy any.  Anybody
listening?

Well, I've just reached over and grabbed a manual.  Mathworks can be
reached at the following address, but better yet, there is an email
address :-).  If you care, send them a note, it doesn't cost any money;
I'm forwarding this letter to them.

The Mathworks, Inc.
21 Eliot Street
South Natick, MA 01760

(508)653-1415  or  FAX (508)653-2997

If you live in the same area code, give them a call, ask for a sales
rep, ask for his/her name, and tell them what you want.  This is the
best way to get people motivated.

Cheers,

Davin
--
         .oO tuohtiw esoht fo noitanigami eht ot gnihton evael Oo.
      Davin Yap, University Engineering Department, Cambridge, England

crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (05/09/91)

A related note: Maple, another great math-related package, is being
ported to NeXT.  It will include a significant (user interface?)
upgrade, as I understand.  The person working on it was at yesterday's
meeting of the Southern California NeXT Users Group (SCaN).  I am not
sure if he wants his name mentioned here, but post if you're
interested and perhaps more detail will be revealed.

A NeXTdimension-equipped NeXTcube was at the SCaN meeting, along with
a NeXT Systems Engineer (Chet Kapoor, if I remember correctly) and
NeXTUCLA campus consultant Allen Denison.  The audienced convinced the
demonstrators to try all sorts of bleeding-edge wild-and-crazy things,
and most such tests resulted in very positive results;  Like,
PaperSight by VISUS supporting full-collor TIFF file annotations to
scanned in documents, even though the demonstrator from VISUS made
a comment before the demo that the version of PaperSight he was demonstrating
wasn't designed to support color at all.  And, compressing the 500K
image of the toucan bird using the maximum JPEG Q-factor allowed by
CompressionLab -- resulting in a 5K image file generated in 13 seconds,
that was still presented a very recognizable image of the bird.  (The
NeXTdimension system was not capable of JPEG compression hardware,
but that topic has been discussed here before.)

Gary