[comp.sys.next] NetInfo

anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) (05/08/91)

I have a NeXT cluster that I have inhereted from another sysadmin
person here and I am having a bit of trouble with the NetInfo /
domain.

Presently there is one cube (030) that is the master server for /
THis machine is also presently a printserver for /
It has 16 MBytes RAM and a 330 H.Disk. We are also running NIS (YP).

In the / domain are several sub domains...one for each machine on the
net:

/kanga /pooh /roo /owl /eeyore /piglet

where /pooh is the Master server above.

I can't get NetInfor to export the local printer on kanga to /
I am following the procedure in the Next Sys Admin book that you get
with the slabs.

When I try to indicate / on the "where" button in the Print Manager it
takes it okay. Then I try to exit the app and it says...can't write to /
domain...or objects in / are read only etc. etc.

I have tried MANUALLY adding the printer to / through the NetInfo Manager
and I get the same types of results. Has anyone else had problems exporting
printers to / from the slabs?

Also...how COMMITTED is NeXT to continue supporting NIS (YP)?

anne

js3b+@andrew.cmu.edu (James Vincent Schultz) (05/09/91)

anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) writes:

> Presently there is one cube (030) that is the master server for /
> THis machine is also presently a printserver for /
> It has 16 MBytes RAM and a 330 H.Disk. We are also running NIS (YP).

> I can't get NetInfor to export the local printer on kanga to /
> I am following the procedure in the Next Sys Admin book that you get
> with the slabs.
>
> When I try to indicate / on the "where" button in the Print Manager it
> takes it okay. Then I try to exit the app and it says...can't write to /
> domain...or objects in / are read only etc. etc.
>
> I have tried MANUALLY adding the printer to / through the NetInfo Manager
> and I get the same types of results. Has anyone else had problems exporting
> printers to / from the slabs?

> anne

I have had the same problem over here in my cluster.
We have a slab running the netinfo server and printserving the /
domain.

When I tried to move the printserver to another machine,
and have it serve the / domain, I got the cannot write to /
error as well.

No solutions yet, and answer from the net?

James