[comp.sys.next] Should I leave my printer on?

kwerle@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Werle) (05/07/91)

I just bought a nice black laser printer...  The only way I've found to
turn it off and on is via PrinterTester.  By this am I to understand that
I should leave it on 24 hours a day?  Have I missed a simple utility for
powering up and down?  What's the deal?
Thanks,
Kurt

gpoc@dsinext1 (Gianfranco Pocecai) (05/07/91)

In comp.sys.next article <28264B87.2025@ics.uci.edu> you wrote:
> I just bought a nice black laser printer...  The only way I've found to
> turn it off and on is via PrinterTester.  By this am I to understand that
> I should leave it on 24 hours a day?  Have I missed a simple utility for
> powering up and down?  What's the deal?
> Thanks,
> Kurt

If you want you can live it on 24 hours a day. I don't think you should!
There is a nice utility whose name is nppower, you can use it to turn your
printer on and off whenever you want simply by tiping nppower on or nppower
off. I run nppower by cron every 15 minutes instead of using it by command
line, it is more practical.
bye
Gianfranco

Gianfranco Pocecai
Computer Science Department                     Tel.   : +39-2-7575244
University of Milano                            Fax    : +39-2-76110556
Via Moretto da Brescia, 9                       Telex  : 335199 - MIDSII
20133 Milano - Italy                            E-Mail : gpoc@dsinext1.unimi.it

cgb@count0.uucp (cgb) (05/09/91)

In article <28264B87.2025@ics.uci.edu> kwerle@ics.uci.edu (Werle) writes:
>I just bought a nice black laser printer...  The only way I've found to
>turn it off and on is via PrinterTester.  By this am I to understand that
>I should leave it on 24 hours a day?  Have I missed a simple utility for
>powering up and down?  What's the deal?
>Thanks,
>Kurt
Try /usr/etc/nppower off

--
NeXT Developer   {model -> controller -> view} Accept no substitutes.