[comp.sys.next] getting rid of Services

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (05/09/91)

Hi.  I'm too lazy to read the manuals, and figured heck, at least this
isn't a post about why you should or should not buy a Mac or an Amiga :-)

Anybody know how to remove Services from your Services menu that got
put there by some application?  Some of them I'm quite sure I'll never
use, and they just make it harder to find the Services that I am
interested in.  I'd rather not have to delete the owning applications
in order to do this, but will consider it :-)

Thanks.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (05/09/91)

    Anybody know how to remove Services from your Services menu that got
    put there by some application?

check out the services subdirectory of your .NeXT directory.

(i figured the details out once to get rid of the Mail services, but
have since forgotten; i think it was relatively obvious.  librarian
preferences lets you enable/disable some of its services, which helps
as an example.  one trick:  after each change, you want to delete the
.cache file, maybe the .applist file, and logout/login)

                                             .mike.
--

                                             .mike.

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (05/09/91)

In article <495@heaven.woodside.ca.us> Glenn Reid writes:
>Anybody know how to remove Services from your Services menu that got
>put there by some application?

Use the enable_service/disable_service commands described in the release
notes:

	disable_service Define in Webster
	enable_service Mail/Selection

It's supposed to take effect for any apps launched after the command. If not,
you can try the make_services command to force it to rebuild its caches.

Ali, Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com