[comp.sys.next] searching for active objects

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) (05/09/91)

being a multi-threaded kind of guy, i recently did some active object
work under Mach on the NeXT computer using c++.

what other languages and where can i find them that support
active objects?  i'm looking for things like Actor.

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg  | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@Xetron.COM     | so?

oscar@cui.unige.ch (Oscar Nierstrasz) (05/09/91)

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) writes:

>what other languages and where can i find them that support
>active objects?  i'm looking for things like Actor.

Here's a reasonably complete list of references to active object
languages.  (No apologies for omissions, though I would like to hear
of references that have been missed.)  There is a mix of research
prototypes and products or near-products.

%L Amer87a
%K olit obcl concurrency oocp87
%A P. America
%T POOL-T: A Parallel Object-Oriented Language
%B Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming
%E A. Yonezawa, M. Tokoro
%I The MIT Press
%C Cambridge, Massachusetts
%D 1987
%P 199-220

%L Amer90a
%K olit obcl concurrency oopsla90 ecoop90
%A P. America
%T A Parallel Object-Oriented Language with Inheritance and Subtyping
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA/ECOOP '90
%V 25
%N 10
%P 161-168
%D Oct 1990

%L Andr90a
%K olit obcl lo concurrency oopsla90 ecoop90
%A J-M. Andreoli
%A R. Pareschi
%T LO and Behold! Concurrent Structured Processes
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA/ECOOP '90
%V 25
%N 10
%P 44-56
%D Oct 1990

%L Blac87a
%K olit ooplas obcl concurrency emerald distribution
%A A. Black
%A N. Hutchinson
%A E. Jul
%A H. Levy
%A L. Carter
%T Distribution and Abstract Data Types in Emerald
%J IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering
%V SE-13
%N 1
%P 65-76
%D Jan 1987

%L Bos89a
%K olit ooplas obcl procol concurrency
%A J. van den Bos
%A C. Laffra
%T PROCOL -- A Parallel Object Language with Protocols
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA '89
%V 24
%N 10
%P 95-102
%D Oct 1989

%L Caro90a
%K olit obcl concurrency eiffel joop
%A D. Caromel
%T Concurrency and Reusability: From Sequential to Parallel
%J Journal of Object-Oriented Programming
%V 3
%N 3
%D Sept/Oct 1990
%P 34-42

%L Kafu89a
%K olit obcl concurrency act++ inheritance ecoop89 binder(oop) obib(obcp)
%A D.G. Kafura
%A K.H. Lee
%T Inheritance in Actor Based Concurrent Object-Oriented Languages
%J Proceedings of the Third European Conference on
Object-oriented Programming
%C Nottingham
%I Cambridge University Press
%D July 10-14, 1989
%P 131-145

%L Kahn86a
%K olit ooplas obcl vulcan prolog concurrency oopsla86
%A K. Kahn
%A E.D. Tribble
%A M.S. Miller
%A D.G. Bobrow
%T Objects in Concurrent Logic Programming Languages
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA '86
%V 21
%N 11
%P 242-257
%D Nov 1986

%L Kahn90a
%K olit obcl lucy janus concurrency oopsla90 ecoop90
%A K.M. Kahn
%A V.A. Saraswat
%T Actors as a Special Case of Concurrent Constraint Programming
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA/ECOOP '90
%V 25
%N 10
%P 57-65
%D Oct 1990

%L Krak90a
%K olit obcl guide concurrency joop
%A S. Krakowiak
%A M. Meysembourg
%A H. Nguyen Van
%A M. Riveill
%A C. Roisin
%A X. Rousset de Pina
%T Design and Implementation of an Object-Oriented Strongly Typed
Language for Distributed Applications
%J Journal of Object-Oriented Programming
%V 3
%N 3
%D Sept/Oct 1990
%P 11-22

%L Lieb87a
%K olit obcl act1 concurrency oocp87 obib(obcp)
%A H. Lieberman
%T Concurrent Object-Oriented Programming in Act 1
%B Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming
%E A. Yonezawa, M. Tokoro
%I The MIT Press
%C Cambridge, Massachusetts
%D 1987
%P 9-36

%L Mese90a
%K olit obcl maude concurrency oopsla90 ecoop90
%A J. Meseguer
%T A Logical Theory of Concurrent Objects
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA/ECOOP '90
%V 25
%N 10
%P 101-115
%D Oct 1990

%L Moss87a
%K olit ooplas obcl trellis owl concurrency ecoop87 obib(obcp)
%A J.E.B. Moss
%A W.H. Kohler
%T Concurrency Features for the Trellis/Owl Language
%J Proceedings of the European Conference on
Object-oriented Programming
%C Paris, France
%D June 15-17, 1987
%P 223-232

%L Nier87c
%K olit obcl hybrid concurrency triggers chloe oopsla87 obib(obcp)
%A O.M. Nierstrasz
%T Active Objects in Hybrid
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA '87
%V 22
%N 12
%P 243-253
%D Dec 1987
%X Introduces the concurrency features of Hybrid, an object-oriented
language that supports persistent, active objects.

%L Toko86a
%K olit ooplas obcl orient84k concurrency knowrep actors oopws86
%A M. Tokoro
%A Y. Ishikawa
%T Concurrent Programming in Orient84/K:
An Object-Oriented Knowledge Representation Language
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices
%V 21
%N 10
%P 39-48
%D Oct 1986

%L Toml89a
%K olit ooplas obcl rosette concurrency oopsla89
%A C. Tomlinson
%A V. Singh
%T Inheritance and Synchronization with Enabled Sets
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA '89
%V 24
%N 10
%P 103-112
%D Oct 1989

%L Trip88a
%K olit obcl sina concurrency joop
%A A. Tripathi
%A M. Aksit
%T Communication, Scheduling and Resource Management in SINA
%J Journal of Object-Oriented Programming
%V 2
%N 4
%D Nov/Dec 1988
%P 24-36

%L Wata88a
%K olit obcl abclr concurrency oopsla88
%A T. Watanabe
%A A. Yonezawa
%T Reflection in an Object-Oriented Concurrent Language
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA '88
%V 23
%N 11
%D Nov 1988
%P 306-315

%L Yoko86a
%K olit ooplas obcl concurrentsmalltalk concurrency oopsla86
%A Y. Yokote
%A Mario Tokoro
%T The Design and Implementation of ConcurrentSmalltalk
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA '86
%V 21
%N 11
%P 331-340
%D Nov 1986

%L Yoko87a
%K olit ooplas obcl concurrentsmalltalk concurrency obib(obcp)
%A Y. Yokote
%A M. Tokoro
%T Concurrent Programming in ConcurrentSmalltalk
%B Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming
%E A. Yonezawa, M. Tokoro
%I The MIT Press
%C Cambridge, Massachusetts
%D 1987
%P 129-158

%L Yoko87b
%K olit ooplas obcl concurrentsmalltalk concurrency obib(obcp)
%A Y. Yokote
%A M. Tokoro
%T Experience and Evolution of ConcurrentSmalltalk
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA '87
%V 22
%N 12
%P 406-415
%D Dec 1987

%L Yone86a
%K olit ooplas obcl abcl1 concurrency lisp oopsla86 obib(obcp)
%A A. Yonezawa
%A J-P Briot
%A E. Shibayama
%T Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming in ABCL/1
%J ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Proceedings OOPSLA '86
%V 21
%N 11
%P 258-268
%D Nov 1986

Dr. O.M. Nierstrasz                 | Tel:    41 (22) 787.65.80
University of Geneva                | Fax:            735.39.05
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique | Home:           733.95.68
12 rue du Lac, CH-1207 Geneva       | E-mail: oscar@cui.unige.ch
SWITZERLAND                         |         oscar@cgeuge51.bitnet

sakkinen@jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (05/09/91)

In article <2167@kgw2.XETRON.COM> dennisg@Xetron.COM writes:
>being a multi-threaded kind of guy, i recently did some active object
>work under Mach on the NeXT computer using c++.
>
>what other languages and where can i find them that support
      ^^^^^ 1
>active objects?  i'm looking for things like Actor.
                                              ^^^^^ 2

(1) Huh?  C++ does not support active objects;  but there are many
extensions that do, each of them in a different way.
For instance, one extension presented in the literature by
P.A. Buhr et al. mimicked Ada's task types.
There are a number of OO languages that have been originally
designed for concurrency.

(2) Obviously Hewitt and Agha's actor languages are meant here,
not The Whitewater Group's Smalltalk-like language that has been
confusingly named 'Actor'.

The book, "Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming", edited by
Yonezawa and Tokoro (MIT Press 1987), contains articles
on many different languages and systems.  Recommended.
(Recommendations on more recent _books_ in the area are solicited.)

After reading the most relevant chapters of the above book, continue
by looking in the proceedings of both OOP and parallel-programming
conferences.  Last autumn's OOPSLA/ECOOP had two ordinary sessions
on concurrency;  also a panel discussion and a two-day workshop,
but what was presented there is not in the proceedings.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
PL 35
SF-40351 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)