[comp.sys.next] checking for ethernet at boot time

gossett@bethel.edu (Eric Gossett) (05/08/91)

I move my NextStation between two locations.  One location is on an ethernet,
the other is a stand-alone setup.  I would like to run some mounts in rc.local
if I am attached to the ethernet, but not do the mounts if I am stand-alone.
How can I check at boot time to see if I am attached to the ethernet?
----------
Eric Gossett               INTERNET     gossett@bethel.edu
--

--------
Dr. Eric Gossett             INTERNET   gossett@bethel.edu

geoff@ITcorp.com (Geoff Kuenning) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.151325.20226@bethel.edu> gossett@bethel.edu (Eric
Gossett) writes:

> I move my NextStation between two locations.  One location is on an ethernet,
> the other is a stand-alone setup.  I would like to run some mounts in rc.local
> if I am attached to the ethernet, but not do the mounts if I am stand-alone.
> How can I check at boot time to see if I am attached to the ethernet?

In 2.0, look in /etc/rc for the variable NETWORKUP, which is set to
either "-YES-" or "-NO-" (a horrible choice of strings, since it can
confuse "test" but that's not my problem).  Simply modify /etc/rc to
export this variable, and then you can test it in /etc/rc.local.
/etc/rc has lots of examples of how to do this.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff