[comp.sys.next] Dust prob

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (05/09/91)

This might not be the apprpriate newsgoup to post this, but I don't know
whereelse I can post this.

Anyway, since we all know our Optical Disk has Dust problem... actually
it's not only the OPtical disk, but also, inside the computer, and all
other hi-tech instruments. As I discovered last time during the upgrade,
I realized that my Cube sucked in TOO much dusts that some chips on the
hard disk analog board were completely "covered" by dust!!!

So I was wondering/concerning, and is considering getting somekind of
air filter for the room. I've seen several Ionizers which are supposed to
be effective removing dust in the air. Since it release ions to the air,
I was wondering if it does any harm t my NeXT?

Any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks

--
cyliao@bagend.eng.umd.edu       o Q. Who am I?
      NeXTmail o.k.       	o A. A NeXTed person with 320meg HD and OD

anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.193535.6387@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>This might not be the apprpriate newsgoup to post this, but I don't know
>whereelse I can post this.
>
>Anyway, since we all know our Optical Disk has Dust problem... actually
>it's not only the OPtical disk, but also, inside the computer, and all
>other hi-tech instruments. As I discovered last time during the upgrade,
>I realized that my Cube sucked in TOO much dusts that some chips on the
>hard disk analog board were completely "covered" by dust!!!
>
>So I was wondering/concerning, and is considering getting somekind of
>air filter for the room. I've seen several Ionizers which are supposed to
>be effective removing dust in the air. Since it release ions to the air,
>I was wondering if it does any harm t my NeXT?
>
>Any suggestion is welcome.
>Thanks

Do you have the filters installed in your cube?????

anne

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) (05/10/91)

I cut a small piece of filter (SS11) from a large Bionaire unit,
and held it over the fan on the inside of the cube with an elastic.
No doubt it diffuses the airflow a bit. I will have to take
my cubes temperature with a fever thermometer. Anyone know the
temperature which would indicate trouble?

... Richard <Tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca>