[comp.sys.next] Portable Unix box!

jasona@sugar.hackercorp.com (Jason Asbahr) (05/10/91)

Greets!

Earlier today I was mucking about at the Offshore Technology Conference
in Houston (where else?) and came across a most interesting piece of
hardware (no, not the salesgirl in the jumpsuit!)...

It's smaller than a cube but thicker than a station -- it's Sony's answer
(read as market niche) to the NeXT...the NEWS 3250 laptop.

From their brochure:  "...a high performance, full-functioned RISC laptop
workstation that can be taken anywhere.  The heart of this 17 lb miracle
is a 20MHz R3000 processor, which together with a R3010 floating-point
accelerator, delivers 17 MIPS and 1.8 MFLOPS.  Equipped with up to 24MB of
main memory, and a 240 or 406MB hard disk, the NEWS 3250 can handle any
job expected of a desktop workstation..."

The display is a back-lit LCD 11" monochrome at 1120 x 780 resolution.
A mouse is included (how nice of them - smirk) and X Windows and Motif
are bundled.  The drives are 1.44MB and can read MS-DOS and Unix formats.

"In similar mode to the rest of the NEWS workstation line, a high-quality
audio capability is included.  16-bit/8-bit stereo or mono, with sampling
rates up to 37.8kHz, is supported via the built-in speaker and external
input/output audio jacks."

SCSI, Ethernet, serial, and parallel ports available in the back.

The 406MB version goes for $11,000.

Oh yes -- no battery power either.

I must really be out of touch, because seeing the NEWS laptop at the OTC
was a mild shock.  If Sony can put out a laptop, so can NeXT!  :)

          -Jason Asbahr
           jasona@sugar.hackercorp.com
           jasona@nuchat.sccsi.com
--

chris@nthropy.uucp (Chris Chauvin) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May10.005215.7074@sugar.hackercorp.com> jasona@sugar.hackercorp.com (Jason Asbahr) writes:
>It's smaller than a cube but thicker than a station -- it's Sony's answer
>(read as market niche) to the NeXT...the NEWS 3250 laptop.
>
>The display is a back-lit LCD 11" monochrome at 1120 x 780 resolution.
>A mouse is included (how nice of them - smirk) and X Windows and Motif
>are bundled.  The drives are 1.44MB and can read MS-DOS and Unix formats.
>
>I must really be out of touch, because seeing the NEWS laptop at the OTC
>was a mild shock.  If Sony can put out a laptop, so can NeXT!  :)

 Did you look at the update rate on the LCD screen?  I hear it is rather slow.
Supposedly, the cursor gets really big when you move the mouse so that you
can follow it.  I think maybe this is the reason NeXT hasn't built a laptop.
I haven't seen a 3250, so this is all conjecture.

>          -Jason Asbahr
>           jasona@sugar.hackercorp.com
>           jasona@nuchat.sccsi.com
>--

Chris Chauvin
chris@nth.com

slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.155141.24235@nthropy.uucp> chris@nthropy.UUCP (Chris Chauvin) writes:
>In article <1991May10.005215.7074@sugar.hackercorp.com> jasona@sugar.hackercorp.com (Jason Asbahr) writes:
>>The display is a back-lit LCD 11" monochrome at 1120 x 780 resolution.
>
> Did you look at the update rate on the LCD screen?  I hear it is rather slow.
>Supposedly, the cursor gets really big when you move the mouse so that you
>can follow it.  I think maybe this is the reason NeXT hasn't built a laptop.
>I haven't seen a 3250, so this is all conjecture.

Do be truthful, I have always been a big fan of Eltroluminescent screen
technology. I wish more companies would take notice to them because practically
nothing has a better contrast ratio, they are already backlit (as in they don't
need it, the screen is like CRT anyway), and they take less power than a full
gas plasma (actually, they CAN take less power to run than a gas plasma). This
is portrayed in the recent look into cold cathode flat screens.

Scott Fields	slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu		University of Oklahoma