[comp.sys.next] GnUStep

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (05/11/91)

In article <PETRILLI.91May10014133@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu> petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) writes:

[about how unlikely it is to see NeXTStep on IBMs, due to Mach aversion]

>The best bet is Next being nice enough to give NextStep to the FSF,
>and let us run it on GNU (based on Mach3).

Yes, this would be great; they could call it GnUStep.

This would not hurt NeXT at all, because

(a) it would give their interface  much wider distribution,
increasing software development (both by enlarging the market,
and giving more developers access).

(b) A basic GnUStep would not have all the great bundled NeXT
user-level software (mail, Mathematica, Websters, Writenow,etc),
nor the great NeXT hardware (sound capability, for e.g)
so people would still have a motivation to buy NeXT computers.

I really think NeXT should get on the ball and do this---it
would only help. It should be clear now that IBM has no real
intention to switch to a NeXTStep standard, so the idea
that IBM would perform function (a) is dead.

It happens to the best of them---remember, after 6 years in the
biz, Adobe finally was forced to release their font specifications
to avoid being crushed by functional equivalents pushed by
powerful forces (MicroSoft, Apple). The same will be true for
NeXTSTep---if they don't release it (GNU is the perfect channel)
the whole world will end up running X or Windows 3.0 (shudder).

It would be glorious if Steve Jobs, when announcing 3.0,
could stand proudly and say that NeXTStep would now be the
standard GUI for GNU.

Further, If NeXT doesn't do this, some other more clear thinking
company (maybe HP? DEC already did, with X) will realease their
own system, which will probably be good enough to where noone
would really care about NeXTStep after that. Remeber that competition
for market share in hi tech markets is very unstable---whoever
get the initial edge usually totally dominates. (Fortunately
for us, X is just bad enough to where NeXTStep could beat it,
if released soon).

Finally, I have a selfish motive: I would like to write some
GUI interface stuff on NeXTs, but I can't really do this at the
moment, because the target audience (mostly Nuclear Fusion Engineers)
use mainly X based workstations. If GnUStep were available,
I could do it, and just say ``this runs under GnUStep, available
at ftp site...''. Since the programs I develop are important
(used to model $10 billion machines), the engineers would have enough
motivation to grab GnUStep to use the GUI interface. As it stands
though, we will have to slap an X interface on them.

Does anyone at NeXT knwo whether NeXT is even considering releasing
a minimal version of NeXTStep (including IB, of course) through
GNU or some other channel?

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (05/11/91)

Barry Merriman writes:
   >The best bet is Next being nice enough to give NextStep to the FSF,
   >and let us run it on GNU (based on Mach3).

   Yes, this would be great; they could call it GnUStep.

   This would not hurt NeXT at all, because
   [...enumerates the exact reasons why this should and must be done...]

   It would be glorious if Steve Jobs, when announcing 3.0,
   could stand proudly and say that NeXTStep would now be the
   standard GUI for GNU.

I'de like to see it more than anyone... it may or may not happen, but
it is nice to dream about.  Somehow RMS and SJ go together.

   Further, If NeXT doesn't do this, some other more clear thinking
   company (maybe HP? DEC already did, with X) will realease their
   own system, which will probably be good enough to where noone
   would really care about NeXTStep after that. Remeber that competition
   for market share in hi tech markets is very unstable---whoever
   get the initial edge usually totally dominates. (Fortunately
   for us, X is just bad enough to where NeXTStep could beat it,
   if released soon).

I don't know about X being 'just bad enough' but it is inferior in
most everyone's opinion.  It would be nice to see X relagated to the
'bottom of the heap' as the replacement for the 'dumb terminal' with
NeXTstep as teh ruling 'workstation' environment.  MIT had more to do
with X being release than DEC, as I recall.

   Finally, I have a selfish motive: I would like to write some
   GUI interface stuff on NeXTs, but I can't really do this at the
   moment, because the target audience (mostly Nuclear Fusion Engineers)
   use mainly X based workstations. If GnUStep were available,
   I could do it, and just say ``this runs under GnUStep, available
   at ftp site...''. Since the programs I develop are important
   (used to model $10 billion machines), the engineers would have enough
   motivation to grab GnUStep to use the GUI interface. As it stands
   though, we will have to slap an X interface on them.

Me too... while this HP 9000/300 doesn't compete with the '040
machines (it is OK when compared to the '030), it would be nice to
trash X11R4 and get NeXTstep up and running on this 20" color monitor.
If NeXTstep were as freely available as X, I think it would become the
dominant GUI, with X11R4 staying around because it's so entrenched.
Let's face it there are hundereds if not thousands of X apps floating
around.

   Does anyone at NeXT knwo whether NeXT is even considering releasing
   a minimal version of NeXTStep (including IB, of course) through
   GNU or some other channel?

Like I originally said... the feeling I got is that YES, they were
considering it, but they decided not to because of Display Postscript.
I have been told that the author of Ghostscript has got mots of DPS
running, so it shouldn't be too much harder to get it all running...
then comes Objective-C (already given to the FSF) and Mach (available
now, and when GNU and OSF/1 are available).  That's a pretty wide base
of systems.

Everyone cross your fingers.

Chris
--