[comp.sys.next] A laptop NeXT + FSF NeXTstep

thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) (05/11/91)

Chris Petrilli writes

  I might be able to address IBM and NextStep.  It'll most likely never
  happen.  IBM has said they are going to stay with the AIX kernel
  (ack!), and not go to Mach3 under OSF/1.  NextStep 2.0 is VERY VERY
  reliant on the Mach kernel for speed, and simulating it on an AIX
  machine is VERY SLOW.  It is bad on a RS/6000, imagine it on a 386.
  The best bet is Next being nice enough to give NextStep to the FSF,
  and let us run it on GNU (based on Mach3).

One of the problems we have had with RIOS is that it is slow, when
measured by us, for context switching. Putting software for UI
(e.g., NeXTstep) that relies on context switches on top of a
full-bloated UNIX kernal (AIX) and the problem is 'bad'. The '386
context switches a bit faster. But without commitment from IBM to
make a wonderful NeXTstep on their platforms, I guess the portable-
NeXT-as-PS/2 is unlikely to fly.

NeXT give NeXTstep to FSF? This would be a wonderful, weird thing.
How likely is this? NeXTstep is one of the technologies that NeXT
has invested in that is superior to competition. It gives them a
difference that is valuable to users. Giving such away would be a
complex decision, I imagine, for NeXT.

Mark R. Thomsen

petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (05/11/91)

In article <282AE226.3250@deneva.sdd.trw.com> thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) writes:

   NeXT give NeXTstep to FSF? This would be a wonderful, weird thing.
   How likely is this? NeXTstep is one of the technologies that NeXT
   has invested in that is superior to competition. It gives them a
   difference that is valuable to users. Giving such away would be a
   complex decision, I imagine, for NeXT.

I would think the same thing, but when I spoke with someone from NeXT
informally at a demo here at the University, the NeXT rep said the
only stumbling block is Display Postscript.  Ghostscript has 90% of
the functionality and it wouldn't be hard to extend.  It even handles
Type 1 fonts as I recall.  As to whether they would do it... if we had
Ghostscript up and going 100%, I'de say it'de be a 50/50 chance.

Chris

Remember, tehy have already given teh FSF Objective-C, and have placed
NetInfo out for public consumption.

--
+ Chris Petrilli
| Internet:  petrilli@gnu.ai.mit.edu
+ Insert silly disclaimer drivel here.

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (05/11/91)

/ comp.sys.next / petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) / May 10'91/
> if we had
> Ghostscript up and going 100%, I'de say it'de be a 50/50 chance.

But NeXT doesn't have to give it to FSF.  It can simply distribute it under
the GNU General Public License.

And I agree that this would be a shrewd move, especially paying off when
GNU the system becomes reality.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

Jacob Gore writes:
   But NeXT doesn't have to give it to FSF.  It can simply distribute it under
   the GNU General Public License.

To me it's the same thing in reality.  It means free distribution.  If
you put the FSF in control, then you have a good chance of usurping
XWindows as GUI of choice for GNU.  Otherwise, who knows... I know
which one I'de choos. :-)

   And I agree that this would be a shrewd move, especially paying off when
   GNU the system becomes reality.

So... let's all do something.  Everyone write a letter to NeXT (or
contact your CC or Rep for the area) and tell them how this would
benefit them as well as humanity.

Chris
--

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (05/12/91)

In article <PETRILLI.91May11113913@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu> petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) writes:

>So... let's all do something.  Everyone write a letter to NeXT (or
>contact your CC or Rep for the area) and tell them how this would
>benefit them as well as humanity.

Good idea. I suggest emailing their Director of Higher Education,
since he is the liason to educational interests.
His address is

 Ronald_Weissman@NeXT.COM

I'm sending him a brief note right now. Perhaps if we focus on him,
he'll present the issue to the appropriate managers (who are probably
well insulated from us).

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math