[comp.sys.next] Power up w/o keyboard?

rob@LL.MIT.EDU (Rob Steele) (05/10/91)

I have two cubes and one monitor.  Can I run one of them
without attaching the monitor?  (I RTFM--did I miss it?)

Rob Steele                        rob@ll.mit.edu
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood St.                      What is man that thou
Lexington, MA  02173                art mindful of him?
617/981-2575

jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (05/10/91)

In article <9105091404.AA02432@LL.MIT.EDU> rob@LL.MIT.EDU (Rob Steele) writes:
>I have two cubes and one monitor.  Can I run one of them
>without attaching the monitor?  (I RTFM--did I miss it?)

>Rob Steele                        rob@ll.mit.edu
>MIT Lincoln Laboratory
>244 Wood St.                      What is man that thou
>Lexington, MA  02173                art mindful of him?
>617/981-2575

Depends on the power supply in your NeXT cube. Power supplies in older cubes
require that monitors be plugged in before powering up. These power supplies
expect certain amount of load to be present before it will operate. I don't
have the parts number handy, but you can find out by simply powering up your
cube with the monitor attached, go into the ROM Monitor before the system
boots up, unplug the monitor. If the system stays on, then your cube has a
newer power supply which will run without the monitor attached. Otherwise,
you're out of luck! Last time I talked to NeXT about this, there is NO plan
for power supply upgrade.

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

ta-aca@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) (05/12/91)

The newer Cubes will run without a monitor plugged in, however, you might
need to disable the sound test in the ROM monitor (do a "help" and then use
th ecommand that lets you see the bootup parameters .. I think its "p").

aca
// Email:  ta-aca@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu   OR   athan@cs.columbia.edu