[comp.sys.next] NeXTWorld "credit department"

seth@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Strumph) (05/08/91)

could someone send me the email address for nextworld magazine?

or better yet, if someone reading this is affiliated with nextworld
magazine,  could you please tell your "credit department" to stop
the threatening letters to people (like me) who agreed to the offer of a
single free issue, not a paid subscription.  i don't want or need a paid
subscription.  we bought enough nextstations that we should have
free subscriptions up to our ears pretty soon (or do you plan to bill us
for those too?)

Seth Strumph
Columbia University
seth@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu

cs19@cs.umn.edu (Scott Wisdom) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May8.143229.9184@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
seth@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Strumph) writes:
> or better yet, if someone reading this is affiliated with nextworld
> magazine,  could you please tell your "credit department" to stop
> the threatening letters to people (like me) who agreed to the offer of a
> single free issue, not a paid subscription.  i don't want or need a paid
> subscription.  we bought enough nextstations that we should have
> free subscriptions up to our ears pretty soon (or do you plan to bill us
> for those too?)
I too have recieved threatening letters. I paid for my subscription, but they
keep sending me letters saying I haven't (even though they cashed the check).
No number on the letters to call, so I can't clear this up. If they thrash my
credit, I'll take 'em to court.

-Scott Wisdom
wisdom@heckle.cs.umn.edu

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.143229.9184@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> seth@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Strumph) writes:

>or better yet, if someone reading this is affiliated with nextworld
>magazine,  could you please tell your "credit department" to stop
>the threatening letters to people (like me) who agreed to the offer of a
>single free issue, not a paid subscription.  i don't want or need a paid
>subscription.  we bought enough nextstations that we should have
>free subscriptions up to our ears pretty soon (or do you plan to bill us
>for those too?)

Oh dear... sounds like the same sort of tactics MacWorld magazine used
to ( and perhaps still do ) use.

petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (05/09/91)

Seth Strumph writes:

   or better yet, if someone reading this is affiliated with nextworld
   magazine,  could you please tell your "credit department" to stop
   the threatening letters to people (like me) who agreed to the offer of a
   single free issue, not a paid subscription.  i don't want or need a paid
   subscription.  we bought enough nextstations that we should have
   free subscriptions up to our ears pretty soon (or do you plan to bill us
   for those too?)

Agreed.  I asked for a "free" sample issue, and then sent them a nice
letter explaining, that while the magazine was nice, it was not worth
the money for 6 issues a year, especially since I get most all my
magazines for free.  I have since received 4 letters from tehm
demanding payment, and have attempted to call to no avail.  I will not
stand for this harassment!

I only wanted to see the magazine, not subscribe.  It is nice, but not
worth the money, especially when NeXT hands out issues at the NUG here
(at least they did last time).

Chris Petrilli
--
+ Chris Petrilli
| Internet:  petrilli@gnu.ai.mit.edu
+ Insert silly disclaimer drivel here.

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/09/91)

petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) writes:

>Agreed.  I asked for a "free" sample issue, and then sent them a nice
>letter explaining, that while the magazine was nice, it was not worth
>the money for 6 issues a year.

  At least you got your "free" sample issue.  Even that failed to make
it to me!  I immediately wrote Cancel on the first bill and sent it
back to them, yet I've received 3 or 4 letters saying "Your account is
overdue... Please pay [or else]".
  Are there real people in their Credit dept, or do they just staff it
with zombies?

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics" - Lady Whiteadder

rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Randal John Vose) (05/09/91)

>Seth Strumph writes:
>letter explaining, that while the magazine was nice, it was not worth
>the money for 6 issues a year, especially since I get most all my
>magazines for free.  I have since received 4 letters from tehm
>demanding payment, and have attempted to call to no avail.  I will not
>stand for this harassment!

>I only wanted to see the magazine, not subscribe.  It is nice, but not
>worth the money, especially when NeXT hands out issues at the NUG here
>(at least they did last time).

I did the same thing... however, I haven't been harassed with these letters
demanding payment of some sort.

All I did to let them know was to write the word "CANCEL" (in big, black
letters done with a permanent marker) on one of the bills that they send.
I mailed it back and haven't heard from them since...

From the looks of it, the 29 cents was worth the effort...

Randy Vose
University of Illinois
Urbana/Champaign

rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
rvose@suna0.cs.uiuc.edu

FHSJFC@BYUVM.BITNET (05/09/91)

I too have been harrased by these many letters.  I too just wanted to
*see* the mag.  After this last letter which was particularly
threatining I called directory assistance to get their number in
boulder since *no* info is on any of their "bills" except for the
P,O. Box.  Not Listed.  So, I looked on p. 4 of the April issue and
found a toll free number for the subscription dept only to talk with
a very nice and helpful person who apologised profusely and canceled
my subscription right there.  The number is 1-800-745-7002 and the
E-Mail address is subscrip@nextworld.com.  again, i found this info
in NeXTWORLD and I am in *no* way affiliated with NeXT or NeXTWORLD.
I just thoguht this info might be helpful to some.

Jeff Carlson

rreid@DPW.COM (r l reid ) (05/09/91)

Not to mention it was such a fluff magazine.  Steve Jobs on the cover?
Boy, and here I thought I bought this machine because it was the
most apropriate platform for the work I was doing.  I didn't
realize I was supposed to do it to save the world from all other
computers, vendors, interfaces and to usher in the new world order.
Because Jobs is god.  Because IBM is evil and Unix is - well,
we all know about Unix and DOS, don't we, snicker, nudge.

The $3 I spent on NextWorld was poorly spent.

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (05/09/91)

>Agreed.  I asked for a "free" sample issue, and then sent them a nice
>letter explaining, that while the magazine was nice, it was not worth
>the money for 6 issues a year, especially since I get most all my
>magazines for free.  I have since received 4 letters from tehm
>demanding payment, and have attempted to call to no avail.  I will not
>stand for this harassment!
>
>I only wanted to see the magazine, not subscribe.  It is nice, but not
>worth the money, especially when NeXT hands out issues at the NUG here
>(at least they did last time).

Empty threats at best...

Suggested recourse:

1) Tell them you will not be intimidated and to f__k off.
2) Threaten legal action.
3) Report their behavior to the BBB.
4) Send nasty letters to their editors etc.

Magazine/books sales approaches have become VERY aggressive in recent
times.  A day doesn't go by when I don't get some 10 million dollar
giveaway + magazine subcription junk mail or phone solicitation.
Don't make it worth their trouble.

jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (05/09/91)

In article <PETRILLI.91May8194925@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) writes:

> Agreed.  I asked for a "free" sample issue, and then sent them a nice
> letter explaining, that while the magazine was nice, it was not worth
> the money for 6 issues a year, especially since I get most all my
> magazines for free.  I have since received 4 letters from tehm
> demanding payment, and have attempted to call to no avail.  I will not
> stand for this harassment!

You might try to contact the state Attorney General's office. They are
supposed to deal with this sort of nonsense.

I've seen NeXT World at am not impressed at all.  It's certainly not
worth what they want for it.  It's as bad as PC World and Mac World,
it's sister magazines. Lots of glitzy stuff, little substance.  I wish
the folks who put out PC Magazine and MacUser (both of which have lots
more substance than the "World" family of magazines) would produce a
NeXT magazine.

Jim Mann                                      jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com
Stratus Computer

kevinh@cmi.com (Kevin Hegg) (05/09/91)

> Suggested recourse:
>
> 1) Tell them you will not be intimidated and to f__k off.
> 2) Threaten legal action.
> 3) Report their behavior to the BBB.
> 4) Send nasty letters to their editors etc.

Seems to me that people are going overboard on how to resolve this
problem. Why not try the simplest and most effective action. IGNORE THEM!
You have no legal obligation to respond to anything they send you. They
can't and won't take any legal action against you. By the way, NextWorld
is not unique in this tactic. Virtually every magazine publisher uses
these tactics.

Kevin Hegg, EDS Corp - Center for Machine Intelligence
2001 Commonwealth Blvd., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
Phone: (313) 995-0900  Internet: kevinh@cmi.com   Applelink: D5990

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (05/10/91)

I wonder if this discussion will make it into NeXT Worlds
``comp.sys.next'' column, which deatures the hot topics on
this newsgroup :-).

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

finn@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Lee Samuel Finn) (05/10/91)

In article <10428@etsu.CMI.COM> kevinh@cmi.com (Kevin Hegg) writes:
>> Suggested recourse:
>>
>> 1) Tell them you will not be intimidated and to f__k off.
>> 2) Threaten legal action.
>> 3) Report their behavior to the BBB.
>> 4) Send nasty letters to their editors etc.
>
>Seems to me that people are going overboard on how to resolve this
>problem. Why not try the simplest and most effective action. IGNORE THEM!
>You have no legal obligation to respond to anything they send you. They
>can't and won't take any legal action against you. By the way, NextWorld
>is not unique in this tactic. Virtually every magazine publisher uses
>these tactics.
>
>Kevin Hegg, EDS Corp - Center for Machine Intelligence
>2001 Commonwealth Blvd., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
>Phone: (313) 995-0900  Internet: kevinh@cmi.com   Applelink: D5990

Ah, but if they think you owe them, and don't pay, they might report
you to a credit agency. Wouldn't that be fun.

No, I don't think it is necessarily wise to ignore things like this.
In an ideal world, they would be unable to cause you problems, but
this is far from an ideal world.

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/10/91)

  Well, I got yet anothr NeXTWorld Credit Dept letter today:

"You received several issues of NeXTWORLD, but we haven't received
anything from you since you placed your original order."

  In fact, I've received ZERO issues of NeXTWORLD.  Who are they
trying to kid??

finn@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Lee Samuel Finn) writes:

>Ah, but if they think you owe them, and don't pay, they might report
>you to a credit agency. Wouldn't that be fun.

  Not really.  I think I will write back with a big Cancel (as I've
already done twice!) and a nasty letter.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (05/10/91)

seth@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Strumph) writes:

> could someone send me the email address for nextworld magazine?
>
> or better yet, if someone reading this is affiliated with nextworld
> magazine,  could you please tell your "credit department" to stop
> the threatening letters to people (like me) who agreed to the offer of a
> single free issue, not a paid subscription.  i don't want or need a paid
> subscription.  we bought enough nextstations that we should have
> free subscriptions up to our ears pretty soon (or do you plan to bill us
> for those too?)
>
> Seth Strumph
> Columbia University
> seth@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu

I called NeXTWorld yesterday and told them exactly that. They claimed
that "someone" had phoned in a telephone subscription in my name. While
that may (faint chance) be true, it certainly wasn't *me*, and I don't
*want* a subscription after seeing how the magazine handles delivery. I
eventually convinced them to wipe the account and delete it. Call them
voice and talk to them...that seems to work best...

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

scott@nic.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.173530.4148@math.ucla.edu> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
   I wonder if this discussion will make it into NeXT Worlds
   ``comp.sys.next'' column, which deatures the hot topics on
   this newsgroup :-).

Those were the _hot_ topics?  Sigh, I'm glad they didn't put in
some of the not-so-hot ones . . . I felt that most of the stuff
in NextWorld's comp.sys.next column was actually quite lame.
Maybe they only printed what the "censors" liked?  :-)

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad	<almost out!>

blenko-tom@cs.yale.edu (Tom Blenko) (05/13/91)

Why don't all you people with a beef send mail to NeXTWorld?  Site is
nextworld.com. Relevant valid users (according to the NeXTWorld mag)
(letters to the editor), and nextworld@nextworld.com (general).

	Tom