[net.auto] catalytic stench

jge@unc.UUCP (John Eyles) (02/03/86)

Driving my '85 Subaru, I occasionally notice a rotten egg smell,
particularly after rapid accelerations. I vaguely recall reading here
that this has something to do with the catalytic converter.

Would someone be kind enough to explain this again, and suggest whether
it calls for some corrective action ?

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (02/04/86)

The stench you smell is indeed from the catalytic converter.
It is, however, the smell of the paint(?) they use to
cover the damn thing.  Since converters are prone to getting
very hot, they use some kind of special paint which, when it
warms up, stinks to high hell.  Not very many companies use
the type that stinks, but I know that Toyota does.  This only
happens to cars sold in the US market so I suspect that the
paint is made here and put on by the dealers, as was the case
with my Toyota, on a recall.  Something to do with US regulations.
T. C. Wheeler

john@gcc-milo.UUCP (02/04/86)

In article <927@unc.unc.UUCP> jge@unc.UUCP (John Eyles) writes:
>Driving my '85 Subaru, I occasionally notice a rotten egg smell,
>particularly after rapid accelerations. I vaguely recall reading here
>that this has something to do with the catalytic converter.

That nasty smell could be oil on the exhaust manifold.  I drive an 84 Scirocco
and smelled rotten eggs through my heater until I replaced the head gasket.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company

res@ihlpl.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) (02/07/86)

> Driving my '85 Subaru, I occasionally notice a rotten egg smell,
> particularly after rapid accelerations. I vaguely recall reading here
> that this has something to do with the catalytic converter.
>
> Would someone be kind enough to explain this again, and suggest whether
> it calls for some corrective action ?

The gas you are burning is high in sulphur content.  The sulphur forms
Hydrogen Sulphide and Sulphur Dioxide when burned in air, both of which
have the classical "rotten egg" smell.  I recently stopped buying gas at
a particular station when my car suddenly started smelling like that.
With the different brand of gas the smell went away.  Worse than the
smell, perhaps, is the formation of Sulphuric Acid in the exhaust
system to eat away at the metal.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (02/10/86)

I hate to disagree with Rich S., but, as I said before, one
cause for the bad smell from Cat converters can be the type
of paint used to cover the rascal.  My Toyota was recalled
once, just to paint the converter.  The smell was so bad
after the painting, we had to drive with the windows down.
The same problem happened to a friend who had the same
year and model of Toyota.  There was no change in the
gasoline brand used and my friend, further, used a different
brand of gas.  My friend took his car back to the dealer to
complain and was told about the paint.  He passed the word
along to me.  The smell finally went away, but it was a
very sickening, rotten food smell for about 2 months.

Now, I suspect that the paint used in this instance was
of U. S. origin and that it is still used in some cases.
As for sulpher in the gasoline, the amount is not enough
to create the "rotten egg" smell to such a degree that it
will make a person roll down the windows.  If that were so,
no amount of catalytic converting will stop the smell, thus,
there would be a fairly large number of folks driving around
with their windows down.  Besides, if the smell is a result
of normal gasses being produced and wafting into the
passenger compartment, I would suggest that you never
drive that car again until you get the exhaust system
checked.  If the smell is coming from the burning of
hydrocarbons, then there is a likelyhood that carbon
monoxide is also getting into the passenger compartment
and you are in mortal danger.  Since the smell is coming
from the heating of the paint on the converter, you will
just have to wait it out.  The smell will go away.
T. C. Wheeler

ljo@drutx.UUCP (OchsL) (02/10/86)

I don't believe it is the paint.  It wouldn't persist
for over a year without getting any better.  It must
be a chemical reaction inside.

Larry O. (a smelly Honda driver)
AT&T Info. Systems, Denver, CO.

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (02/13/86)

I knew a friend who had this problem. His mechanic solved it by
advising him to change his diet to include fewer legumes. It also
solved his backfire problem. :-)