[comp.sys.next] 20 Meg floppies and a laptop NeXT

trims@athena.mit.edu (Erik G Trimble) (05/04/91)

i just got this gear idea:

a portable NeXT!!!

25Mhz 68040 and 56001
backlit active matrix display
8Mb RAM
40Mb swapdisk
New 80MB floptical
under 12 lbs

Put W-M on the swapdisk, the rest of the OS on the floptical
transfer you apps to the swapdisk via the floppy drive

vola' !!!   UNIX on the Fly!!!

(if they could sell it for under $5000, oh, baby!!!)

-erik

ta-aca@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) (05/04/91)

>i just got this gear idea:
>
>a portable NeXT!!!
>
>25Mhz 68040 and 56001
>backlit active matrix display
>8Mb RAM
>40Mb swapdisk
>New 80MB floptical
>under 12 lbs
>
>Put W-M on the swapdisk, the rest of the OS on the floptical
>transfer you apps to the swapdisk via the floppy drive
>
>vola' !!!   UNIX on the Fly!!!
>
>(if they could sell it for under $5000, oh, baby!!!)

If you could do it ... I would ... lets see ... pull each of my nose hairs
out one by one. ( :-), I think that one was on Different Strokes some years
ago).

One of the things that makes the NeXT what it is is its MegaPixel display
(i.e. 1M of pixels).  I don't think a decent, readble 1024x1024 or ~1100x800
or whatever will be small/portable enough.  Backlighting?  Swapdisk?  Under
12 pounds?  Not with the battery it would take to power the thing for any
significant amount of time.  A decent unix in 80 Megs?  I wouldn't want to
try it ... especially not NeXTStep anyway (ok, so you could put two drives
on, but that would EASILY blow your $5k and increase the size of the battery
and the weight).

Now if you were talking a "Transportable" ... MAYBE.
If holographic memories were out ... much of this would be moot but ...

Oh, and much of this applies to all the NeXTStepTerminal discussions I've
seen lately ... including the idea about converting 386 boxes to NeXTStep -->
The reason its been so successful so far is because the NeXT boxes have a
unique combination of features (processing speed, well thought out data paths
in the hardware (uh, read, many DMAs), lightweight processes, DSP, MegaPixel
dispay (NeXTStep on a VGA?! I'ld rather do the thing in the first sentence of
my reply), etc. etc.).  Ok.  I closed all my parenthesies.  Off I go to sleep
(its 9:16AM, but I've been up all night).

Flames to /dev/attenuator.  Once they're toned down, I'ld love to read them.

aca
//Email:  ta-aca@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu   OR   athan@cs.columbia.edu

thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.132003.17343@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
ta-aca@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) writes:
> One of the things that makes the NeXT what it is is its MegaPixel display
> (i.e. 1M of pixels).  I don't think a decent, readble 1024x1024 or ~1100x800
> or whatever will be small/portable enough.  Backlighting?  Swapdisk?  Under
> 12 pounds?  Not with the battery it would take to power the thing for any
> significant amount of time.  A decent unix in 80 Megs?  I wouldn't want to
> try it ... especially not NeXTStep anyway (ok, so you could put two drives
> on, but that would EASILY blow your $5k and increase the size of the battery
> and the weight).

The Sony 3250 has a 1-bit display comparable to the NeXT in pixel count,
a 20 MHz R3000, Unix, considerable memory and storage (when outfitted all
the way up, 32MB RAM + 400MB HD), and a size that is 'luggable'. It is
not the dream machine, but such a machine may be on the way. Then we just
get NeXTstep running, port some apps, and ...?

A portable NeXTstation would be sometimes useful. I wonder, however, if
something different might be in the works. How about a PenPoint product
that is fully file compatible with NeXT, uses speech recognition (Sphinx,
maybe), and costs $1000? You download some stuff and take it with you,
enter some data, edit some stuff, and transfer files using any available
comms (net, phone, fax, whatever). A complementary product that supports
needs of people on the go might be more marketworthy than a portable
equivalent in the near term. A portable NeXT will be expensive for a while
but a PenPoint product might be timely and (relatively) inexpensive.

Mark R. Thomsen

kwang@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (<The Scarecrow>) (05/09/91)

In comp.sys.next trims@athena.mit.edu (Erik G Trimble) writes:

>i just got this gear idea:
>
>a portable NeXT!!!

Well, Sony recently came out with a portable (17.5 lbs) RISC
workstation.  Comes w/X11R4, Motif, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
I don't have a spec sheet, but I believe it was also somewhere above
20,000.  Crazy what some people will pay for the latest and
greatest...

   - Kevin Wang
   - kwang@polyslo.calpoly.edu, owner of the everchanging quoteline!
   Q: What do you call 1,000 lawyers buried up to their necks in dirt?
   A: Not enough dirt.

thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) (05/10/91)

In article <28289b4d.6175@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> kwang@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (<The
Scarecrow>) writes:
> >a portable NeXT!!!
>
> Well, Sony recently came out with a portable (17.5 lbs) RISC
> workstation.  Comes w/X11R4, Motif, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
> I don't have a spec sheet, but I believe it was also somewhere above
> 20,000.  Crazy what some people will pay for the latest and
> greatest...

The Sony 3250 is perhaps the best portable as a base for a NeXT.  I
am curious, though, about the new IBM PS/2 portable.  IBM liscenced
NeXTstep for RIOS and PS/2. NS 1.0 was a pig on PS/2s. Have not
heard a thing recently.  Is this worth looking into?

I travel a lot and having chucked my office Mac for a NeXT. Now I
would love a portable to go with it.

Mark R. Thomsen

petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (05/10/91)

Mark R. Thomsen writes:

   [quotes about how great a NeXT portable would be!]

   The Sony 3250 is perhaps the best portable as a base for a NeXT.  I
   am curious, though, about the new IBM PS/2 portable.  IBM liscenced
   NeXTstep for RIOS and PS/2. NS 1.0 was a pig on PS/2s. Have not
   heard a thing recently.  Is this worth looking into?

I might be able to address IBM and NextStep.  It'll most likely never
happen.  IBM has said they are going to stay with the AIX kernel
(ack!), and not go to Mach3 under OSF/1.  NextStep 2.0 is VERY VERY
reliant on the Mach kernel for speed, and simulating it on an AIX
machine is VERY SLOW.  It is bad on a RS/6000, imagine it on a 386.
The best bet is Next being nice enough to give NextStep to the FSF,
and let us run it on GNU (based on Mach3).

   I travel a lot and having chucked my office Mac for a NeXT. Now I
   would love a portable to go with it.

Good to hear that.

Chris
--
+ Chris Petrilli
| Internet:  petrilli@gnu.ai.mit.edu
+ Insert silly disclaimer drivel here.

mrc@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Crispin) (05/13/91)

In article <PETRILLI.91May10014133@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu> petrilli@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) writes:
>The best bet is Next being nice enough to give NextStep to the FSF,
>and let us run it on GNU (based on Mach3).

I don't think there is much likelihood of this happening, although I
think it would be wonderful if it happened.

The underlying cause as I see it is that NeXT is a software company,
and that the cube and the slab are merely delivery platforms for this
software.  This problem is exacerbated by the fact that neither NeXT,
nor most of its enthusiasts, realize this.

From the beginning, NeXT has taken the position of keeping tight
control of the software.  I heard Steve Jobs criticize the Unix model
(using SUN as an explicit example) and praise the MS-DOS model where
everyone has the same operating system without `local hacks' that
purportedly make it difficult for software vendors to provide plug &
play software.

In a sense, then, NeXT sees itself as a Microsoft which makes hardware
too.

However, Microsoft is focused on what it markets, and its effort has
always been to acquire as close to exclusive market share in that
focused range as possible.  MS-DOS is the primary operating system for
PC's and compatible.

NeXT, on the other hand, is not focused.  NeXT is trying to produce
both a hardware and a software platform in defiance of industry
trends.  The industry trend in software is towards open standards,
which NeXTstep is not.  The base hardware platform is (at academic
pricing) competitively priced, but it is not a price/performance
leader.  Even at academic pricing, NeXT expansion memory and disk
drives are exhorbitantly priced.

NeXT is, I believe, attempting to recreate the success of the
Macintosh.  However, times have changed.  There is no longer a great
pent-up and unsatisfied demand for a window/icon GUI as there was in
the early 1980's.  Even when that demand existed, a technically
superior but uncompetitive product could fail, as Jobs discovered with
the Lisa.

I would like to see NeXT become more focused; and I believe NeXT will
have to become more focused if it is to survive.  What I would like to
see is perhaps the hardest thing for NeXT to do; abandon the software
side of the business and focus on being a hardware company.

This is because I don't see much of a future in NeXTstep.  This may be
an unpopular opinion to express in this newsgroup, but it is
realistic.  I'm not seeing other hardware vendors jumping over each
other trying to get a NeXTstep license; nor do I see IBM taking their
NeXTstep license seriously.  Of the community of NeXT users I know,
most of them are old-time Unix users who use their NeXTs as Unix
boxes.  Terminal is their most important NeXTstep application.

NeXTstep is neat and does neat things, and by comparison X is an ugly
mess.  On the other hand, TOPS-20 and Multics were neat and did neat
things too, and by comparision BSD Unix is an ugly mess.  Being neat
and doing neat things does not by itself give you superiority over the
"ugly mess".  The existance of MS-DOS is more than adequate proof!

I can see that a number of software vendors have said "thanks but no
thanks" to NeXTstep.  I can see that I'm the only person in my group
who did any NeXTstep programming at all, and I've been told to focus
my efforts on other things (including MS-DOS, sigh!).  I've been sent
to Motif programming class in a couple of days, so I can guess what
I'm going to end up doing in the not-too-distant future.  [Fortunately
I purchased co-Xist with Motif, or I'd have to give up the NeXT...]

If NeXT were to focus on being a hardware company, NeXT would have to
produce a much wider range of products than at present, with an
entry-level machine in the ~$1000 range.  NeXT must have more reliable
shipping and delivery schedules; they cannot pretend to be selling a
mass commodity while producing to order as if they were making
mainframes.

NeXT must be prepared to compete on a price/performance basis and not
on a software exclusivity basis.  I remember Steve Jobs saying that
one reason why NeXT didn't want to release sources was that then
customers could easily figure out how to get it running on a Sun.
This is the wrong worry for someone trying to break into the market.
NeXT should be producing a superior price/performance competitor so
that Sun worries about all its Sun software users from running it on
NeXTs.

Finally, NeXT has to establish credibility.  I think that NeXT's staff
is doing a superhuman job, but NeXT the company has to do better.  The
recent glowing press release when NeXT is in serious trouble is one
example; the vapor products and delayed shipments of others is
another.

I really hope that NeXT is listening, for everybody's sake.