[net.auto] Looking for 2 door liftback

paul@axiom.UUCP (Paul O`Shaughnessy) (02/11/86)

I am looking around for a two door hatchback (either new or recent year).
Most of my driving is by myself, but I have occasional use for a back seat.
(No jokes - I have a '64 Chevy Impala for that.)  Therefore I'd like a 4-
person car with rear seats that fold down individually.  I require a
reasonable amount of cargo room, enough for a disassembled bicycle if
possible.  With this style of car, it makes sense to get something with
power and handling.  Top price is $12K (no Testarossas, please) but I'll be
very pleased to pay a lot less.  So far, my experiences with American dealers
has been poor.   The Plymouth guy tried to sell me a loaded LeBaron ('..your
fuel is low, your fuel is low, your...) and the Ford guy tried an '86 Escort
GT ('It's got a spoiler on the back!').  The Dodge Daytona looked better.
The Japanese cars looked even better.  The best test drive I had was in a
1984 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo with 10K miles.  If anyone is willing, I'd like
to hear and compare notes on this class of not too expensive liftbacks.
Are there any decent American cars here?  Any horror stories on Japanese?
As I live near Boston, I must avoid cars which are extremely desirable to
car and car stereo maggots.  I also wish to spend the money on the car and
the engine, NOT on electric windows or mirrors, electronic dash (simple,
informative and analog, please), or other silliness.  All of these desires
may be conflicting, I know, but I presently have transportation, so I feel
no compulsion to run out and buy the next 'deal'.  Thanks in advance, and
I hope that any resulting information will be use to others as well.

-----

Paul O'Shaughnessy
Axiom Technology Corp.
Newton, Massachusetts

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (02/14/86)

In article <161@axiom.UUCP> paul@axiom.UUCP (Paul O`Shaughnessy) writes:
>I am looking around for a two door hatchback (either new or recent year).
>Most of my driving is by myself, but I have occasional use for a back seat.
>(No jokes - I have a '64 Chevy Impala for that.)  Therefore I'd like a 4-
>person car with rear seats that fold down individually.  I require a
>reasonable amount of cargo room, enough for a disassembled bicycle if
>possible.  With this style of car, it makes sense to get something with
>power and handling.  Top price is $12K (no Testarossas, please) but I'll be
>very pleased to pay a lot less.

Go to a Volkswagen dealer, and test drive a Golf GTI.  Find out why
Motor Trend picked it as Car Of The Year '85.  Fast, agile, economical,
lots of inside room (people and/or stowage).  Starts under $9000,
loaded for around $11,000.  Driven by LOTS of net.auto readers, I might
add.  (Do all of you like your cars?)

I almost bought one -- instead, I got the Jetta GLI.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley