[comp.sys.next] Why doesn't Mathematica's help work?

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (05/12/91)

Well, FAQ and NextAnswers checked, here's one for you: on my machine,
Matematica's help function won't work. Neither the '?'-cursor, nor any
Help-Button in any panel, nor Help on Selection... nothing. I get the
help panel, sure, but it has no information in it---the text text
field is just empty!

I've done some exploration of my own (just snooping around as joe
user), opened Mathematica.app to look inside it, and there was a
notebook named MatematicaHelp.ma, mod 644, I was even able to load it
into Mathematica and it seemed to be the right thing, there's some
blurb in there telling me that this is the file used by the on-line
help system.

So what's the problem? everything seems to be fine, but it won't work!
Has a similar thing happened to you?  I'm trying all this un an '030
Cube, 16 MB RAM, 330 MB Harddisk, NextStep 2.0.
--
               Federico Heinz (federico@actisb.uucp)

--
               Federico Heinz (federico@actisb.uucp)

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/13/91)

In comp.sys.next article <1427@actisb.UUCP>
   federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) wrote:
> Well, FAQ and NextAnswers checked, here's one for you: on my
> machine, Mathematica's help function won't work. Neither the
> '?'-cursor, nor any Help-Button in any panel, nor Help on
> Selection... nothing. I get the help panel, sure, but it has
> no information in it---the text field is just empty!

Yeah.  There's some kind of bug in Mathematica and system 2.0.  I believe they
were surprised it worked at all.  The new version of Mathematica should solve
that of course (when it is available).

I suspect that if we were smart enough we could probably patch the program or
the help panel or something so it would work.  When I found out about this
problem I discovered one helpful thing.  When the help panel comes up, click in
the slider bar (where the slider would be if the panel realized it had text to
view).  The help magically appears.

The problem is it's going to show you the help for wherever you clicked the
slider bar, which probably won't be the section of help that you would have
seen if the panel just worked in the first place.
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

(note: I tried mailing a reply but that didn't seem to work...)

finn@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Lee Samuel Finn) (05/14/91)

In article <pf.h0.m@rpi.edu> gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
>In comp.sys.next article <1427@actisb.UUCP>
>   federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) wrote:
>> Well, FAQ and NextAnswers checked, here's one for you: on my
>> machine, Mathematica's help function won't work. Neither the
>> '?'-cursor, nor any Help-Button in any panel, nor Help on
>> Selection... nothing. I get the help panel, sure, but it has
>> no information in it---the text field is just empty!
>
>Yeah.  There's some kind of bug in Mathematica and system 2.0.  I believe they
>were surprised it worked at all.  The new version of Mathematica should solve
>that of course (when it is available).
>
>I suspect that if we were smart enough we could probably patch the program or
>the help panel or something so it would work.  When I found out about this
>problem I discovered one helpful thing.  When the help panel comes up, click in
>the slider bar (where the slider would be if the panel realized it had text to
>view).  The help magically appears.
>
>The problem is it's going to show you the help for wherever you clicked the
>slider bar, which probably won't be the section of help that you would have
>seen if the panel just worked in the first place.
>Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
>ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA
>
>(note: I tried mailing a reply but that didn't seem to work...)

I tried this after the suggestion was posted the first time, and it
didn't do a thing for me.