[net.auto] Bondurant Driving School--Request for Info

jhs@druhi.UUCP (ShoreJ) (01/31/86)

Does anyone out there have the mail address and/or phone number
for the [Bob] Bondurant Performance Driving School in California?
I've been checking the ads in R&T and Car & Driver mags, but
have found only ad info for the Jim Russell schools in California,
Canada, and UK. I know Bondurant does advertise from time to time,
but can't find any recent ones.

Also, has anyone out there attended either school? If so, could
you pass on your impressions of the courses, what they cost you,
etc.?

Thanx in advance.

-- Jeff Shore @ AT&T-IS, Denver
   ..!ihnp4!!drutx!druhi!jhs or (303) 538-4195 (w)
			        (303) 457-4420 (h)

elliot@well.UUCP (Elliot Fabric) (02/02/86)

The phone book lists: Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
                      Highway 378 & Highway 121
                      Sonoma, California
                      707-938-4741
He is located at the Sears Point Racetrack.  I have toured it.
Often tempted to sign up for a course but haven't.
Bondurant had one of his drivers take us out on the
skid pads and around the track as passengers in a modified
Ford LTD.  Real excitement.

eli@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (02/07/86)

In article <196@druhi.UUCP> jhs@druhi.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone out there have the mail address and/or phone number
>for the [Bob] Bondurant Performance Driving School in California?
>I've been checking the ads in R&T and Car & Driver mags, but
>have found only ad info for the Jim Russell schools in California,
>Canada, and UK. I know Bondurant does advertise from time to time,
>but can't find any recent ones.
>
>Also, has anyone out there attended either school? If so, could
>you pass on your impressions of the courses, what they cost you,
>etc.?
>
>Thanx in advance.
>
>-- Jeff Shore @ AT&T-IS, Denver
>   ..!ihnp4!!drutx!druhi!jhs or (303) 538-4195 (w)
>			        (303) 457-4420 (h)

Before you take his course, you might like to take a look at his book.
Its called, "Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving."  Its published in 1982
by Motorbooks International Publishers and Wholesalers, Inc., P.O. Box 2,
Osceola, Wisconsin, 54020.  Its 142 pgs and I picked up my copy for ~$12 at
the local Crown Books.  The first chapter deals with his own driving career;
sort of a "why I'm qualified to teach you how to drive."  Then, throughout
the book, he puts in little plugs for his course, and is constantly telling
you why its better than the other courses.  Overall, its a pretty good book
and deals with everything from proper seating position to getting a racing
sponsor (if you decide you like you like to drive so much that you want to do
it for $$$).  Unfortunately, though he pretty much fully explains the "hows",
such as the "mechanics" of proper high speed cornering, the book is a little
short on many of the "whys".

Anyways, in the back of the book, he lists a couple of driving schools in
N. America.  So with out further ado, I shall just list them as he does on
p. 139.

       Driving Schools

Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Sears Point International Raceway
Highways 37 and 121
Sonoma, California 95476
Telephone (707) 938-4741

Bertil Roos School of Motor Racing
Pocono International Raceway
Box 221-T
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania 18610
Telephone (717) 646-7227 or 646-3174

Bill Scott Racing School
P.O. Box 190
Summit Point, West Virginia 25446
Telephone (304) 725-4071

Skip Barber Racing School
1000 Massachusetts Avenue
Boxboro, Massachusetts 01719
Telephone (617) 263-3771

British School of Motor Racing
Riverside International Raceway
22255 Eucalyptus Avenue
Riverside, California 92508
Telephone (714) 656-3576
British School also located at Laguna Seca International Raceway.

Jim Russell International Racing Drivers School, Canada
Box 119-AC9
Mt. Tremblant, Quebec J0T 1Z0
Canada
Telephone (819) 425-2739

Anyways the list is about 4 years out of date so I won't guarantee any of
the addresses or phone #s.

-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: eli@cvl, eli@lemuria, eli@asgard, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: eli@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!eli

steve@davinci.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Steven Sekiguchi) (02/14/86)

Here is the info I got off the Bob Bondurant brocheure;

There are 5 courses available

	1) a 4 day grand prix course ($1800) this one seems to be aimed
	   at those interested in professional driving.
	2) 2 or 3 day Advanced Road Racing Course ($550/day). prerequisite:
	   the 4 day grand prix course and a current racing liscense.
	   this one is a refresher course to brush up on your technique.
	3) 2 or 3 day High Performance Driving Course ($650 and $975)
	   This course gives you the theory and techniques of High
	   Performance driving, then track time to apply and practice
	   what you learned. the 3 day course offers an additional
	   day on the track.
	4) 1 Day Advanced Street and Highway course ($295) This course
	   is amimed at the average driver. With instruction on
	   skid control and "car control".
	5) 4 day Corporate Chauffeurs Course (Anti-Terrorist,
	   Anti-Kidnapping) ($1800). a training program for drivers
	   in need of such information. (there is a seperate brocheure
	   which I didn't get)

For the two non-racing courses you can rent one of their cars ($75/day).
All are held at sears point international raceway.

I haven't taken any of the courses but I intend to try the 1 day class
just for kicks when the weather dries up.

Steven Sekiguchi
U.C. Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720
(415) 642-9157