[comp.sys.next] Mac-II <-------> NeXT ----> NeXT Laser Printer

rohigarg@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Rohit Garg) (05/13/91)

I currently own a Mac-II and am thinking of buying a NeXTStation along
with a NeXT laser printer.

I would like to be able to use the NeXT laser printer to print Mac stuff
also. (Both the machines will be sitting in the same room side-by-side.)

Some one suggested me that I should get a ethernet card for my Mac,
connect the two machines, and use the NeXT machine as the print server
for the Mac.

Has some one out there tried this and if yes, how much does this cost?
Are there any other options?

Also, are there tape back-up units that works with both Mac-II as well
as the NeXTStation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Rohit Garg

200 Union Street S.E.			127 Vincent Hall
EE/CSci Building, # 5-225G     OR	Mathematics Department
Computer Science Department		University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota			Minneapolis, MN 55455
Minnepolis, MN 55455

rohigarg@ai.cs.umn.edu

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May13.034039.4152@cs.umn.edu> rohigarg@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Rohit
Garg) writes:
> I currently own a Mac-II and am thinking of buying a NeXTStation along
> with a NeXT laser printer.
>
> I would like to be able to use the NeXT laser printer to print Mac stuff
> also. (Both the machines will be sitting in the same room side-by-side.)

Rohit -
	Why don't you use SneakerNet (TM) rather than Ethernet? I mean, since the Mac
II can write out to a MS-DOS disk and the NeXT floppy can read MS-DOS, why
don't you save your output to a PostScript file, then SneakerNet it over to the
NeXT and print it from there using lpr. Sure, it's a pain, but a small pain
compared to $500 worth of Ethernet equipment.
   Rumour has it that NeXT may soon have AppleTalk compatibility. Or then
again, Apple might have Ethernet capability. Who knows? I don't.

    - jiro nakamura
      jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (05/14/91)

CAP with lwsrv allows Macintosh systems to print to NeXT Laser Printers
using the standard Macintosh LaserWriter driver and print dialog.
I set it up in a couple labs.  CAP is the Columbia AppleTalk Package
for UNIX, and it is freely available.  It requires something like
a Shiva FastPath-4 or Cayman Gatorbox to do AppleTalk-in-IP (KIP)
encapsulation/decapsulation, though, unless someone has taken advantage
of the new NeXT KernLoad system to cause CAP to use EtherTalk instead
of KIP.  When that is done (or when NeXT incorporates AppleTalk
support in system software, hopefully with all of EtherTalk Phase I,
EtherTalk Phase II and LocalTalk) the requirements for CAP tools to
work won't be as compicated and particular.

Gary