[comp.sys.next] Distorted monochrome monitor

Rudy.Zalesak@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Rudy Zalesak) (05/14/91)

I just bought and set up a neXtStation. The monitor has a slight
amount of distortion in the upper part of the screen (straight
lines bow in the middle) and the upper left hand corner of the
image sticks out slightly. The neXt people tell me that the monitor
is not defective unless the distortion is more than 1/8 ".(which
it isn't).

Has anyone else had this problem? I've never seen a high-end
monitor with as much distortion as this before. Can adjustments
be made at home?

				Rudy Zalesak

"Eternity is in love with the productions of time."
				-William Blake

   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information
        Technology, or the Experimental Bulletin Board Service.
           internet:  bbs.oit.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

frank@urz.unibas.ch (05/14/91)

In article <3738@beguine.UUCP>, Rudy.Zalesak@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Rudy Zalesak) writes:
> I just bought and set up a neXtStation. The monitor has a slight
> amount of distortion in the upper part of the screen (straight
> lines bow in the middle) and the upper left hand corner of the
> image sticks out slightly. The neXt people tell me that the monitor
> is not defective unless the distortion is more than 1/8 ".(which
> it isn't).
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? I've never seen a high-end
> monitor with as much distortion as this before. Can adjustments
> be made at home?

Yes! As a matter of fact I had my monitor exchanged because I couldn't stand
the distortion (the screen displayed rectangles as pillows). The monitors of
my collegues, who bought their NeXTs at the same time, are STARTING to show
simular symptoms, that is, these monitors were quit good at first but now seem
to "burn-in". I don't know what NeXT has done to the monitors but those that
came with the cubes didn't show this effect (at leas not here in Basel).

As to adjusting: the service technition (and I) tried everything he could
(there are a number of controls "under the hood" at the back of the monitor)
but to no vain. It is easy to adjust the position and size of the active area
but quit impossible to adjust deformations (you would have to tamper with the
alignment magnets on the tube, which I strictly recommend NOT to do!).

 | _____   __  _____       Robert Frank                                       |
 |   |    /      |         Institut fuer Informatik                           |
 |   |    |      |         University of Basel, Switzerland                   |
 |   |    |      |         Mittlere Strasse 142                               |
 | __|__  |    __|__       CH-4056 Basel                                      |
 | frank@urz.unibas.ch     tel. + (061) 321 99 67    fax + (061) 321 99 15    |