[comp.sys.next] The ongoing glut of NeXT-related posts

In article <1991May9.044759.27402@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> sparkie@uhura.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) writes:
> If it is not obvious, postings which state
> the superiority of amigas do not have anything to do with comp.sys.next -
> thus a user of comp.sys.next can "flame" someone who is not achieving
> those goals.

And the superiority of NeXTs to Amigas, Macs, PC (see, it's not just Amigas
that are getting beat on here) etc has little to do with c.s.amiga.advocacy.

And it's not a "recent" glut, either. Folks who are into the NeXT have been
bashing the Amiga since this group was created. They have also been using this
group as an excuse to bash Suns, IBM-clones, Macs, and everything else as
well.

This is a classic case of blaming the victim. It wasn't Amiga users who started
this flame war... it was an ex-Amiga user who has found a new religion (I guess
when the Amiga developers said "we're here to bring you a computer, not a
religion" he got disenchanted...) that did that. A NeXT user.

Quit blaming the victim, observe and set followups appropriately (clue:
alt.flame is rarely appropriate), and create a comp.sys.next.advocacy so
your fanatics can find a place to live.

Capiche?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <76261@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dwboyce@acsu.buffalo.edu (Doug Boyce) writes:
> In article <1991May13.002647.187@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> :Quit blaming the victim, observe and set followups appropriately (clue:
> :alt.flame is rarely appropriate), and create a comp.sys.next.advocacy so
> :your fanatics can find a place to live.

> Since when does the actions of a few condemn an entire group?

*Bingo*

That's why you need a .advocacy group. To get those few out of the way so you
can do real work. Most of this discussion would actually be more appropriate
crossposted between the NeXT, Mac, and IBM advocacy groups.

If they existed.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <r02Hv-k3@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> In article <1991May13.002647.187@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>    [ I've gone wild bashing everyone deleted]

[ Mike going wild bashing everyone deleted... ]

(OK, it's a cheap shot. But someone has to do it)

> One of the reason that I find the NeXT so exciting is that the average
> businessman can get a personal workstation.  The horsepower of a Sun
> plus the user friendliness of a Mac.

Which Sun? Which Mac?

The NeXT is a killer machine, but I'm damned if I can figure out what it's for.

> But you think that an IBM PC/XT
> is all that most people will ever need?

It's all that J. Random Suit needs.
--