[comp.sys.next] Couple of questions

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (02/07/91)

In article <8006@plains.NoDak.edu> cooper@plains.NoDak.edu (Jeff Cooper) writes:
>I've got a couple of questions about my new NeXTstation...
>
>1) I went and got some of the fonts from nova.cc.purdue.edu and installed
>   them in /LocalLibrary/Fonts and when I log onto my account, I can use
>   the fonts without any trouble but whenever someone else is on, they get
>   the list of fonts but WriteNow says that they are unuseable...any ideas
>   why??

The fonts are probably not readable by the other users.  Make sure that
the directory (like Helvetica.font) is readable and executable, and
make sure that the contents (Helvetica.afm, etc) are readable by the
other users (either world readable or by a group that they're in).

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A.Venkatesan) (05/09/91)

1. I just found out to my horror that the password length on my NeXT was
limited to just 8 letters. And here I was, having given myself lengthy
passwords, thinking no one could break one that long easily, when the
machine was having the last laugh seeing only the first eight. So is there
any way to set up passwd to see more than eight letters?????

2. Out of curiosity: Suppose I were to become su and delete the home directory
of some user without deleting his account, what would happen when that user
tries to login?? Would his account be automatically disabled when his home
directory is gone or would he get logged on to the root directory??

Please reply by email, as the machine here has its own mind in editing
netnews and discards postings from some days arbitrarily.

Thanks,      Venky.

 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$           **************************************
 $  T.C.A.VENKATESAN $           *EMAIL : IO92395@MAINE.BITNET        *
 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$           **************************************

DEPT. OF PHYSICS AND ASTRONOMY
UNIV. OF MAINE
ORONO, MAINE 04469.

IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A.Venkatesan) (05/09/91)

1. I just found out to my horror that the password length on my NeXT was
limited to just 8 letters. And here I was, having given myself lengthy
passwords, thinking no one could break one that long easily, when the
machine was having the last laugh seeing only the first eight. So is there
any way to set up passwd to see more than eight letters?????

2. Out of curiosity: Suppose I were to become su and delete the home directory
of some user without deleting his account, what would happen when that user
tries to login?? Would his account be automatically disabled when his home
directory is gone or would he get logged on to the root directory??

  I am using a '030 machine running NS 2.0.

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (05/13/91)

In article <91128.150648IO92395@MAINE.BITNET>, IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A.Venkatesan) writes:
> 1. I just found out to my horror that the password length on my NeXT
>    was limited to just 8 letters.

More precisely, everything past that is ignored.  At least if they use
the same password hashing scheme every other even vaguely UNIXish
system does.

>    So is there any way to set up passwd to see more than eight
>    letters?????

Sure.  Hack on crypt(3) to your heart's content, then rebuild passwd
and login.

What's that, you say?  Rebuild how?  Oh yes, that's right, NeXT thinks
binary distributions are reasonable.  Gee, I guess you're stuck.
(Unless you want to try making similar changes by disassembling and
editing the binaries.  And NeXT doesn't even provide adb.  Yup, you're
*really* stuck.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (05/14/91)

>>    So is there any way to set up passwd to see more than eight
>>    letters?????
>
>Sure.  Hack on crypt(3) to your heart's content, then rebuild passwd
>and login.
>
>What's that, you say?  Rebuild how?  Oh yes, that's right, NeXT thinks
>binary distributions are reasonable.  Gee, I guess you're stuck.

It wouldn't matter anyway.  The password stuff on BSD systems is not
based on crypt.  In general the password source code is not available
with the Berkeley distribution.

ORGANIZATION:  BLETCH (Bletcherous League of Evil Twisted Computer Hackers)
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com
SPOKEN:        Dark Hacker                 PHONE:      (703) 243-1611

The Mythos of Dark Hacker:

"Controlled by the sinister and shadowy "suits" Dark Hacker now employs
the tools of computer science to free himself from the suit's will.
By day he is a lackey... but at night when the city sleeps he
becomes.... DARK HACKER!"