[comp.sys.next] Hooking up a terminal to my NeXT

mahesh@next.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) (05/10/91)

Hey Folks:
    This is slightly embarassing, but I have *NO* clue as to what I
am doing wrong.
	I want to hook up a Mac to a NeXT with a serial cable.  So,
a) I got a printer cable, hooked it up 'tween serial port A of the NeXT
and the modem port on the Mac
b) On the NeXT, I turned on ttya (in /etc/ttys), and set the terminal type
to vt100, and then rebooted the NeXT (for good measure)
c) On the Mac, I started up kermit (8 bits, no parity)

AND, nothing happened.  THe Mac does not echo anything, butI know
that stuff I type on the Mac's keyboard is getting through.  e.g.,
if I type in my login name and password (blindly), a "w" on the NeXT
shows that I am logged in, but there is NO echo on the Mac's screen.
The cable is fine ( it's a Mac printer cable).
Any clues?

Am I missing something *so* obvious?  How do I do this?

Thanx...

Mahesh Subramanya                     INTERNET: mahesh@darwin.cc.nd.edu
Senior Analyst
Office of University Computing
University of Notre Dame              Voice:    (219) 239-5600  x6421
Notre Dame,  IN  46556

severyn@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Niles Severyn) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.150656.21680@news.nd.edu> mahesh@next.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
>AND, nothing happened.  THe Mac does not echo anything, butI know
>that stuff I type on the Mac's keyboard is getting through.  e.g.,
>if I type in my login name and password (blindly), a "w" on the NeXT
>shows that I am logged in, but there is NO echo on the Mac's screen.
>The cable is fine ( it's a Mac printer cable).

Sounds like you're connecting your mac to a 68040 NeXT. The 040's use
an RS-423 serial port, and macs use ans RS-422 port. You will need a
different cable than the one you are using. Look at the zs man page
and set up your cable like the one for connecting a 030 to an 040. The
way I "made" the cable for connecting my slab and my gs, was I took a
"mac to modem" cable that goes from din-8 to din-25, and another null
modem cable that goes from din-8 to din-25, and just simply plugged
them together.

The actual problem is that the NeXT the rts line high constantly,
which, when using the printer cable, becomes connected to the Receive
data plus on the mac, causing it to null out everything that's sent.

For a while, I *was* using an Imagewriter II cable for transferring
files one way (no xmodem, cat ONLY).

lwb@pensoft.uucp (Lance Bledsoe) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May10.150656.21680@news.nd.edu> mahesh@next.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
>Hey Folks:
>    This is slightly embarassing, but I have *NO* clue as to what I
>am doing wrong.
>	I want to hook up a Mac to a NeXT with a serial cable.  So,
>a) I got a printer cable, hooked it up 'tween serial port A of the NeXT
>and the modem port on the Mac
>b) On the NeXT, I turned on ttya (in /etc/ttys), and set the terminal type
>to vt100, and then rebooted the NeXT (for good measure)
>c) On the Mac, I started up kermit (8 bits, no parity)
>
>AND, nothing happened.  THe Mac does not echo anything, butI know
>that stuff I type on the Mac's keyboard is getting through.  e.g.,
>if I type in my login name and password (blindly), a "w" on the NeXT
>shows that I am logged in, but there is NO echo on the Mac's screen.
>The cable is fine ( it's a Mac printer cable).
>Any clues?
>
>Am I missing something *so* obvious?  How do I do this?

I have successfully connected a terminal (well, a pc with emulation)
to my NeXT box.

Here are the steps to take if your interested:

For what it's worth:

1.  Acquire an "MAC+ to Imagewriter" 8pin -> db25 cable.
2.  Plug cable into "A" port of NeXT and db25p of TTY or PC.
3.  Log in as root of NeXT and:
	a.  Turn "on" the "ttya" port and select proper
            terminal type (in "/etc/ttys" file).
	b.  Make whatever corrections to "/etc/gettytab"
            are necessary.
4.  Power off/on system (actually init -1 1 might work).
5.  Have fun with your terminal.

Good luck!
Lance Bledsoe

--
Lance Bledsoe                       Off:    (512) 343-1111
Pencom Software, Inc.               Fax     (512) 343-9650