[comp.sys.next] Is ls -L broken in 2.0?

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (05/13/91)

Neither ls -L nor ls -lL are producing output to show symbolic links.
Are they broken or is there another command I should be using?
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA        rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us         412-471-5320
venetia@investor.pgh.pa.us [NeXT Mail]     ...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp [UUCP]

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.013701.21135@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>Neither ls -L nor ls -lL are producing output to show symbolic links.
>Are they broken or is there another command I should be using?

	Not only do they not show links, but it seems that that field in the
	output is used to to the number of subdirectories below a given
	directory.  Wonder if that is documented somewhere...
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Douglas Scott          Columbia University Computer Music Studio
Internet: <doug@woof.columbia.edu> <das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>
UUCP: ...!columbia!woof!zardoz!doug          Phone: (703)765-4771

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.155119.26819@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
   In article <1991May13.013701.21135@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
   >Neither ls -L nor ls -lL are producing output to show symbolic links.
   >Are they broken or is there another command I should be using?

	   Not only do they not show links, but it seems that that field in the
	   output is used to to the number of subdirectories below a given
	   directory.  Wonder if that is documented somewhere...

If you want to see your symbolic links, use ls -l (ell).
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

fche@db.toronto.edu ("Frank Ch. Eigler") (05/15/91)

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:

> Not only do they not show links, but it seems that that field in the
> output is used to to the number of subdirectories below a given
> directory.  Wonder if that is documented somewhere...

It *is* the number of links!  This is because the subdirectories'
".." file is a hard link to the parent directory, and thus gets
counted for the ls -[lL] display.

> If you want to see your symbolic links, use ls -l (ell).

Good advice.  "ls -l" is much more interesting.

--

-- Frank Ch. Eigler -- Comp Eng -- <fche@db.toronto.edu> --

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (05/15/91)

Bob Peirce #305 writes
> Neither ls -L nor ls -lL are producing output to show symbolic links.
> Are they broken or is there another command I should be using?

ls -L *follows* symbolic links, it doesn't show them.  Just plain old
ls -l will show you the links.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers