[comp.sys.next] IB question

jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jules Andrew Yasuna) (05/14/91)

I want to create a simple application which creates a window and
runs a Terminal shell in this window. I have used IB to generate
the menu-window connection but I don't know how to run the
Terminal inside the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bedney@monolith.lanl.gov (Bill Edney) (05/14/91)

In article <gc=x_LC00WBNA0qqBn@andrew.cmu.edu> jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jules
Andrew Yasuna) writes:
> I want to create a simple application which creates a window and
> runs a Terminal shell in this window. I have used IB to generate
> the menu-window connection but I don't know how to run the
> Terminal inside the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look at the Subprocess example in NextDeveloper/Examples. It shows how one can
run a Unix process in a window.
--
- Bill Edney
- Los Alamos National Laboratory

"I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me. Kind of a nice
arrangement."

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (05/15/91)

In article <gc=x_LC00WBNA0qqBn@andrew.cmu.edu> jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jules Andrew Yasuna) writes:
   I want to create a simple application which creates a window and
   runs a Terminal shell in this window. I have used IB to generate
   the menu-window connection but I don't know how to run the
   Terminal inside the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is not an IB question. This is a programming question. You might
try emailing Scott Hess, programmerus maximus and author of Stuart.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (05/15/91)

In article <CNH5730.91May14134257@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:
   In article <gc=x_LC00WBNA0qqBn@andrew.cmu.edu> jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jules Andrew Yasuna) writes:
      I want to create a simple application which creates a window and
      runs a Terminal shell in this window. I have used IB to generate
      the menu-window connection but I don't know how to run the
      Terminal inside the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

   This is not an IB question. This is a programming question. You might
   try emailing Scott Hess, programmerus maximus and author of Stuart.

Well, sort of, but not really a whole lot.  The problem with
forwarding this stuff to me is that there's not a _whole_ lot
I can do.  Terminal emulation is a hairy thing to do right, and
I've put a ton of time into it, and still have work to do on it.
In other words, no freebies :-(.

Also, it's simply not simple.  I'd like to make some plug&play
stuff eventually, but I don't have the tiem right now.

Anyhow, for most applications, the Subprocess example program
will supply what's needed.  It's not got vt100 emulation, sure,
but that's why it's free (and I'm paid for vt100 emulation).
:-).

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad	<almost out!>