[comp.sys.next] NeXT General Educational Disqucount?

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) (05/10/91)

In article <9105092050.AA15574@wwc1.wwc.edu> vencgr@wwc1.UUCP (Gregory D. Vence) writes:
>Hello,
>	I'm looking for info on a General edu discount for NeXT machines,
>the college I'm attending isn't registered, or whatever.  Is there a discount
>in general or only at affiliated schools?
>	Also, what is the going edu rates for an '040' with 8-bit graphics?
>	Thanx, I'm looking to switch,
>		Greg.
>
>+---------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
>I Greg Vence -- KH2EA/7 (Yeah, Guam is home)  I Amiga gets the job done. I
>I vencgr%wwc1@hpspkla.spk.hp.com              I (usually)                I
>+---------------------------------------------+--------------------------+

so why the hell did you post this here? This belongs in Comp.sys.Next, not
*.amiga. Geeze, I kinda wish there was a comp.sys.amiga.next newsgroup...

Follow-ups to CS.Next

**********************************PiRho****************************************
"All power comes from the barrel of a gun"  //
sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu            \\ // Amiga makes it possible
                                         \X/

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (05/11/91)

   (Gregory D. Vence) writes:
   >Hello,
   >	I'm looking for info on a General edu discount for NeXT machines,
   >the college I'm attending isn't registered, or whatever.  Is there
   >a discount
   >in general or only at affiliated schools?

There is an edu discount at certain schools only, and the amount of
discount is institution-dependent.

   >	Also, what is the going edu rates for an '040' with 8-bit
   >graphics?

There is no one set going edu rate. And the '040 systems are either 2,
16, or 32 bit graphics, depending on which system you buy.

   >	Thanx, I'm looking to switch,

Smart move.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) (05/11/91)

In <CNH5730.91May10133848@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:

>There is no one set going edu rate. And the '040 systems are either 2,
>16, or 32 bit graphics, depending on which system you buy.

I think 4, 16, or 32 bit is more accurate.
or even 2+2, 12+4, or 24+8 bit.

... Richard <Tilley@ccu.UManitoba.ca>

cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.075053.10746@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) writes:
> In <CNH5730.91May10133848@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:
>

> >There is no one set going edu rate. And the '040 systems are either 2,
> >16, or 32 bit graphics, depending on which system you buy.
>
> I think 4, 16, or 32 bit is more accurate.
> or even 2+2, 12+4, or 24+8 bit.
>
> ... Richard <Tilley@ccu.UManitoba.ca>

Why 4 bits???  There are only four diferent "shades" on the B&W monitor:
White, black, dark gray and light gray, and that is represented by only two
bits.  Am I missing something?

Richard Dib
AT&T BL

ly@neon.Stanford.EDU (Eric Ly) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May12.044514.329@cbnewse.att.com> cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) writes:

>> I think 4, 16, or 32 bit is more accurate.
>> or even 2+2, 12+4, or 24+8 bit.
>
>Why 4 bits???  There are only four diferent "shades" on the B&W monitor:
>White, black, dark gray and light gray, and that is represented by only two
>bits.  Am I missing something?
>
>Richard Dib
>AT&T BL

The 4 bits, or 2+2 bits, refer to two bits of data and two bits of
alpha, which is the transparency used when two images are merged
together to create blending effects.  On color machines, more bits are
used to specify the alpha, either 4 or 8 depending on the hardware
capabilities.

						Eric Ly

perstoro@netmbx.UUCP (Wilhelm Schaefer) (05/12/91)

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) writes:

>In <CNH5730.91May10133848@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:

>>There is no one set going edu rate. And the '040 systems are either 2,
>>16, or 32 bit graphics, depending on which system you buy.

>I think 4, 16, or 32 bit is more accurate.
>or even 2+2, 12+4, or 24+8 bit.
 What does the plus mean?
 or would it be correct to write 1+3, 10+6, 20+12 :-)

 so long
		-- --- good old perstoro --- --

hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org (Heiko W.Rupp) (05/15/91)

> tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) writes:
>
> >In <CNH5730.91May10133848@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:
>
> >I think 4, 16, or 32 bit is more accurate.
> >or even 2+2, 12+4, or 24+8 bit.
>  What does the plus mean?
Before the plus is the number of Bitplanes used for color and after it
ist the number of bitplanes for transparency (at least for NeXTDimension)
>  or would it be correct to write 1+3, 10+6, 20+12 :-)
No, it won't :-(

Greets
-Heiko

--
Heiko W.Rupp, Gerwigstr.5, D-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |   hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org
Tel: +49 7021 693642  (voice only)              |   uk85@dkauni2.bitnet

gregor@oit.itd.umich.edu (Gregor Purdy) (05/16/91)

In article <1924148b.ARN134f@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org> hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org (Heiko
W.Rupp) writes:
> > > I think 4, 16, or 32 bit is more accurate.
> > > or even 2+2, 12+4, or 24+8 bit.

Or even R+G+B+A for color systems, since some 16-bit, non-transparency
color schemes use 5+6+5+0 bits per pixel. I think this is because the human
eye is more sensitive in the green-ish area of the spectrum.
--
Gregor N. Purdy, NeXT Campus Consultant | "I am that which is not everything