[comp.sys.next] LaTeX on NeXT

CCEN001@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu (05/12/91)

Is there an easy way to type backslash (\) on NeXT?
This character is so frequently used within LaTeX,
yet the NeXT keyboard is so unfortunate.

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (05/12/91)

In article <48847@ut-emx.uucp> CCEN001@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu writes:
>Is there an easy way to type backslash (\) on NeXT?
>This character is so frequently used within LaTeX,
>yet the NeXT keyboard is so unfortunate.

One possbile solution is to use the Keyboard App and redefine another key
to produce the (\). My wife found the assignment of (\) to control-/ to
be acceptable for LaTeX work.  The Keyboard App is in the /NextDeveloper/Demos
directory.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May11.232352.12969@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:

>>   In article <48847@ut-emx.uucp> CCEN001@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu writes:
>>   >Is there an easy way to type backslash (\) on NeXT?
>>   >This character is so frequently used within LaTeX,
>>   >yet the NeXT keyboard is so unfortunate.
>>
>>   One possbile solution is to use the Keyboard App and redefine another key
>>   to produce the (\). My wife found the assignment of (\) to control-/ to
>>   be acceptable for LaTeX work.  The Keyboard App is in the /NextDeveloper/Demos
>>   directory.
Except that this does not work with Emacs 2.0 (works with emacs in a
Terminal window, or with Edit).

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

rcombs@nmsu.edu (Randy Combs) (05/15/91)

   From: zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 11 May 91 23:23:52 GMT
   Sender: news@neon.Stanford.EDU (USENET News System)

   In article <48847@ut-emx.uucp> CCEN001@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu writes:
   >Is there an easy way to type backslash (\) on NeXT?
   >This character is so frequently used within LaTeX,
   >yet the NeXT keyboard is so unfortunate.

   One possbile solution is to use the Keyboard App and redefine another key
   to produce the (\). My wife found the assignment of (\) to control-/ to
   be acceptable for LaTeX work.  The Keyboard App is in the /NextDeveloper/Demos
   directory.

   Andrew
   zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

Another possible solution is to use the British keyboard found in
Preferences.  There the backslash is Alternate-/.

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (05/16/91)

Unfortunately, the Alternate-/ solution will not work with Emacs (the
NeXT-ified emacs front end), since the Alt-key is used as Meta; one
can overcome this by rebinding the Meta key. Of course, one can run a
"pure" mouseless emacs in a Terminal/Stuart window.
I use (in Terminal/Stuart) a modified USA-keyboard with Alt-/ = \
and Alt-Shift-/ = |.  I find it useful for emacs and unix pipes
when logged in via a terminal.
Still, it would not have cost NeXT that much to provide one or two extra
keys which can be reached with one's pinkie (say, below the
loudspeaker keys).

Greetings,
Hardy