[net.auto] first impressions: mustang GT

vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) (02/06/86)

>From drutx!mtuxo!houxm!mhuxt!mhuxr!ulysses!burl!clyde!watmath!watnot!watrose!tohaapanen Wed Feb  5 22:08:27 1986
>From: tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen)
>Newsgroups: net.auto
>Subject: Re: First impressions: Mustang GT [long]
>Date: Wed, 5-Feb-86 22:08:27 MST
>
>No flames, just a comparison...

NO COMPARISON , JUST FLAMES

>>1986 Mustang GT 3-door hatchback; silver exterior, red interior; A/C, premium
>>sound system, power windows, power door locks & convenience group, rear-window
>>defogger, tinted glass, sunroof (all options except two-tone paint, auto-trans,
>>and engine block heater); 5.0 L SFI V8 (sequential injection, tuned-intake,
>>true-dual low-restriction stainless steel tuned exhaust, EEC-IV control)
>>
>>Price: ~12,600 (base sticker ~10,500., sugg. price ~13,600)
>
>1986 VW GTI 3-door hatchback; red exterior, grey interior; sunroof,
>power steering, cruise control; 1.8L KE-Jetronic
>
>Price: ~8,800 (base 8,900, list 9,500)  [prices in US$]

HOW CAN YOU EVEN COMPARE A VW TO A REAL FORD

SURE,TRY AND BUY A NEW ONE FOR 9500.00
YOU CAN HARDLY FIND ONE WITHOUT ALL THE
OPTIONS ON IT

>>Mileage: Expect 17 typical.
>
>Mileage: After two weeks, trip computer says 8.8 L/100 km ~= 26 mpg (US).
>And that's driving hard.
>
>>Caveats: upshift light (hah!) doesn't work.
>
>Works on the GTI.  Using it, I managed to get 39 mpg (!) around town.
>At that point the pussyfooting is getting ridiculous though.

ALL YOU CAN DO IS PUSSYFOOT IN A VW

>>Overall impressions: unbelievable what 285 ft-lbs of torque can do in a
>>sub-compact.  Handling is a bit tail-happy; otherwise neutral.
>
>Subcompact!?!?  According to the EPA, the GTI is a *compact*.  The

THE GTI IS THE BIGGEST HUNK OF SHIT ON THE ROAD
DITTO FOR THE REGULAR RABBIT

>Mustang weighs probably 50% more, although it's true that it probably
>has a lot less interior room.

>Two 6'1" adults sit comfortably in the
>back seat of the GTI.

SURE IF YOU HACK THEM INTO PIECES AND STUFF THE LIMBS INTO TRASH BAGS

>>Acceleration: 0-60 in 6.7 sec.
>
>Ah, well, ah, the GTI is only barely into the single digits...
BARELY??

>>..., premium unleaded, ...
>
>I didn't think that the Mustang's fuel injection could take advantage
>of higher octane ratings.  Am I wrong?  Or were you intending to
>advance your ignition timing?

THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT A RABBIT IS IT'S BOSCH CIS INJECTION.

>>Handling: Goodyear Eagles don't seem to be up to par with this car.  Back end
>>is too easy to cut loose around turns.  The lateral forces just build up
>>and give out all at once...
>
>The GTI is very contollable on the limits.  The Pirelli P600's

ONLY BECAUSE THE LIMITS ARE SO LOW

>supplied with the car are very good, if not quite up to the standards
>of the Eagle VR 'S'.  But the weight of the car may have something to
>do with it too...
>
>>..(for you Wabbit owners who are more curious about this feeling...
>
>With my superior traction and lighter car, I could probably tie a new
WORK OUT THE MATH
>Mustang at a stoplight grand prix.  Check out the 0-40 mph acceleration

PROVIDED YOU COULD KEEP THE THING ON THE ROAD ?
DUE TO UNEQUAL DRIVESHAFT LENGTH THE TORQUE STEER ON RABBITS MAKE THEM
VERY UNSTABLE.

>times...  The skidpad figures might make interesting reading too!

YOU SEEM TO BE INTO READING FIGURES AND NOT DRIVING. AS THE OWNER
OF A VW RABBIT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT IT IS THE WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED.
A FRIEND OF MINE HAS 5 RABBITS INCLUDING A GTI. THEY ARE ALL CRAP.
THERE IS NO CONVINCING A RABBIT FREAK, THEY ALL THINK THAT A RABBIT IS
THE LAST WORD IN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING. I DO NOT WANT TO ATTACK THE
RABBIT DRIVERS , ONLY THE CAR.

>>Steering: much tighter than any other power steering I've ever driven.  Makes
>>my T-bird feel like a boat.  Responds instantly.
>
>Try the GTI sometime.  Feels just like driving a non-assisted
TERMINAL UNDERSTEER , PERFECT CAR FOR A LITTLE OLD LADY.
>rack-and-pinion steering.
>
>				   \tom haapanen
>				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
>I'm all lost in the Supermarket
>I can no longer shop happily
>I came in here for that special offer
>Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

ITS NOT A CAR , IT'S A VOLKSWAGON ( thank god)

				Chuck Gerarden
				ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

jon@msunix.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (02/08/86)

> >No flames, just a comparison...
>
> NO COMPARISON , JUST FLAMES
>
> THE GTI IS THE BIGGEST HUNK OF SHIT ON THE ROAD
> DITTO FOR THE REGULAR RABBIT

It's not a Rabbit, it's a Golf.  The '85 Golf is a different car
from the Rabbit.

> >>Acceleration: 0-60 in 6.7 sec.
> >
> >Ah, well, ah, the GTI is only barely into the single digits...
> BARELY??

Road & Track did 0-60mph in 8.9 seconds.  That's not too shabby.  Then
again my Honda VF500F Interceptor does it in 3.9 seconds, but it's kind of
hard to keep the front wheel on the ground.  BTW, during 0-n mph runs,
upshifts near n mph have a large effect on the time.  If you run
a Ferrari 308GTSi 300 rpm past redline in second gear instead of shifting
into third gear, it cuts about a second off the 0-60 time.

> PROVIDED YOU COULD KEEP THE THING ON THE ROAD ?
> DUE TO UNEQUAL DRIVESHAFT LENGTH THE TORQUE STEER ON RABBITS MAKE THEM
> VERY UNSTABLE.

The torque steer on the older Rabbits is nonexistant on the Golf.

I liked the reply.  Would other new car owners please post
their first impressions so we can flame their cars?  I want
to flame a Mitsubishi Starion Turbo a Dodge Colt Turbo (as
Bobby Slayton said, "A sh**ty car that goes fast")  I'll even let
you flame my '84 Scirocco (just another Rabbit underneath :^)).

			Jonathan Hue
			LMSC-Mechanisms & Servos

			{amdcad!cae780,sun!sunncal}!leadsv!msunix!jon

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (02/11/86)

I thought my reply to the original Mustang posting was reasonable --
am I alone in thinking this?  And I thought stuff like Chuck's reply
went away with net.flame!

In article <232@druhi.UUCP> vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) writes:

>NO COMPARISON , JUST FLAMES

>>Price: ~8,800 (base 8,900, list 9,500)  [prices in US$]
>
>SURE,TRY AND BUY A NEW ONE FOR 9500.00
>YOU CAN HARDLY FIND ONE WITHOUT ALL THE
>OPTIONS ON IT

Oh.  We *paid* $8800 (Cdn $12500) for the GTI.  Most new GTIs at the
dealers only have a sunroof.

>>Two 6'1" adults sit comfortably in the
>>back seat of the GTI.
>
>SURE IF YOU HACK THEM INTO PIECES AND STUFF THE LIMBS INTO TRASH BAGS

Chuck, I invite you to try the back seat in a new Golf, Jetta or GTI.
The choice is yours --- in one piece or in a trash bag.  I'm 6'1" and
I can sit comfortably in the back.

>The GTI is very contollable on the limits.  The Pirelli P600's
>
>ONLY BECAUSE THE LIMITS ARE SO LOW

Once again, the supreme self-confidence of pure ignorance shines through.

>>With my superior traction and lighter car...
>
>WORK OUT THE MATH

I'm getting my Bachelor of Mathematics in three months.  I think I'm
capable of basic mathematics.

>PROVIDED YOU COULD KEEP THE THING ON THE ROAD ?
>DUE TO UNEQUAL DRIVESHAFT LENGTH THE TORQUE STEER ON RABBITS MAKE THEM
>VERY UNSTABLE.

The driveshafts are of practically equal lengths on the new GTI, Golf
and GTI.  Not much torque steer.

>YOU SEEM TO BE INTO READING FIGURES AND NOT DRIVING. AS THE OWNER
>OF A VW RABBIT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT IT IS THE WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED.

I have driven the new GTI extensively.  Sounds like you haven't even
seen one.  How could you possibly tell me that you know more about it
than I do?

>A FRIEND OF MINE HAS 5 RABBITS INCLUDING A GTI. THEY ARE ALL CRAP.

Then why did he buy 5?  Tell us, please!  And next time, lay off
the CapsLock key!

vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) (02/12/86)

>I thought my reply to the original Mustang posting was reasonable --
>am I alone in thinking this?  And I thought stuff like Chuck's reply
>went away with net.flame!

net.flame went away, but I have not. It makes me sick to see vw fanatics
cluttering up the net with the diatribe on the merits of owning a VW.
These fanatics think that vw's are sports cars. The rabbit started out
as an economy car, they put flashy interiors in it (more weight), wider
tires, renamed it, a little more power, and TA-DA call it a sports car.
Remember YOU are the one comparing it to a mustang GT. I dare say that on
a real (road racing)track the GT would blow the rabbit off. please don't
feed me shit about "what the magazine says" . Go ahead convince me that
a front wheel drive car corners well, a GTI can't even keep it rear inside
wheel on the road when going around corners quickly. I have driven both
the GTI and rabbit on a track and the understeer is so bad that the speed
of the car drops significantly. just try and slide in/drift out of a corner.
Keeping the wheels on the road is important.

I love their new commercial, GTI's jumping over hills and bouncing all
over the highway. This must be the natural state of the GTI , wheels
in the air. It seems VW of america concurs.

>In article <232@druhi.UUCP> vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) writes:

>Oh.  We *paid* $8800 (Cdn $12500) for the GTI.  Most new GTIs at the
>dealers only have a sunroof.

I am reporting what the dealers are asking in this area, Of course the
more the dealers ask the more a vw fanatic wants one of these bricks on
wheels . The dealer actually EXPECTED me to be excited when I picked up
my rabbit. He has been dealing with people like you to long. The one
and only reason to buy a rabbit is gas mileage. remember it is still
built in america. The vw's built in europe are not the same as the ones
built in the US. reliability is no better than a pinto.

>Two 6'1" adults sit comfortably in the
>back seat of the GTI.

>Chuck, I invite you to try the back seat in a new Golf, Jetta or GTI.
>The choice is yours --- in one piece or in a trash bag.  I'm 6'1" and
>I can sit comfortably in the back.

You must have a size 3 shoe. Or do you just hang your feet out where the
floor pans usually rust through?

>The GTI is very controllable on the limits.  The Pirelli P600's
>>ONLY BECAUSE THE LIMITS ARE SO LOW

>Once again, the supreme self-confidence of pure ignorance shines through.

Once again, Another fanatic buys the biased horse shit that gets published
in C&D or R&T. I will be in Montreal for the GP  I plan on driving my Lotus,
should we see how FANTASTIC your GTI is? Its not a car its just a VW.

>>With my superior traction and lighter car...
>
>WORK OUT THE MATH

I'm getting my Bachelor of Mathematics in three months.  I think I'm
capable of basic mathematics.

I see, If we are to believe magazines then the ~2500 lb GTI at ~105 hp
with a high .CD will outperform a mustang GT at ~3200 lbs ,>200hp with a
lower .CD and of course better tires. please enlighten me.

>PROVIDED YOU COULD KEEP THE THING ON THE ROAD ?
>DUE TO UNEQUAL DRIVESHAFT LENGTH THE TORQUE STEER ON RABBITS MAKE THEM
>VERY UNSTABLE.

>The driveshafts are of practically equal lengths on the new GTI, Golf
>and GTI.  Not much torque steer.

not that you would notice now that the car is larger and heavier.

YOU SEEM TO BE INTO READING FIGURES AND NOT DRIVING. AS THE OWNER
OF A VW RABBIT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT IT IS THE WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED.

>I have driven the new GTI extensively.  Sounds like you haven't even
>seen one.  How could you possibly tell me that you know more about it
>than I do?

I could never presume to tell a VW fanatic anything, just the point
I am trying to make.
" HI, I AM A VW OWNER, DONT CONFUSE ME WITH FACTS, LET ME TELL YOU
ABOUT MY GTI."

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS 5 RABBITS INCLUDING A GTI. THEY ARE ALL CRAP.

>Then why did he buy 5?  Tell us, please!  And next time, lay off
>the CapsLock key!

Glad to tell you why he bought 5. He bought his first one as a commuter
car, for gas mileage, the others for parts cars cuz the first falls apart.
he sold the GTI 3 months after he bought it, the guy he sold it to tried
to sell it AGAIN the next day. Is there something wrong here? He now has
a R5 turbo II  ( real sports GT) and is trying to figure out how to get rid
of all his rabbit droppings. Yet he still maintains rabbits are ok. What
brain washing VW has done. Just another fanatic. VW it's a cult we can
live without.

>				   \tom haapanen
>				   watmath!watrose!haapanen

chuck gerarden

ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

gti@ihlpm.UUCP (Phelps) (02/12/86)

> >I thought my reply to the original Mustang posting was reasonable --
> >am I alone in thinking this?  And I thought stuff like Chuck's reply
> >went away with net.flame!

> net.flame went away, but I have not. It makes me sick to see vw fanatics
> cluttering up the net with the diatribe on the merits of owning a VW.
> These fanatics think that vw's are sports cars. The rabbit started out
> as an economy car, they put flashy interiors in it (more weight), wider
> tires, renamed it, a little more power, and TA-DA call it a sports car.
> Remember YOU are the one comparing it to a mustang GT. I dare say that on
> a real (road racing)track the GT would blow the rabbit off. please don't
> feed me shit about "what the magazine says" . Go ahead convince me that
> a front wheel drive car corners well, a GTI can't even keep it rear inside
> wheel on the road when going around corners quickly. I have driven both
> the GTI and rabbit on a track and the understeer is so bad that the speed
> of the car drops significantly. just try and slide in/drift out of a corner.
> Keeping the wheels on the road is important.

Get yor facts straight..or don't say anything. First off, who in the
hell ever said a GTI was a sports car to you. I bet you made this
up. If you would calm down you would realize it is actually a sports
hatchback...nothing less and much more. You then complain about how
the car handles. Ever see how a 'STANG plows off at corner 5 at Road
America consistently? Shame, shame on a rear drive car!

I'm not trying to cause bad feelings. But you people who put
someone down for the priorities of owning a particular car are
infantile. If you want to profile, buy a Mustang...want
understatedness? Get a GTI.

You then say how you can not drift a GTI...You obviously don't know
about LEFT FOOT BRAKING to do this...The Mustang driver would
benefit from this procedure as well. AGAIN>>>KNOW BEFORE YOU SPEAK!

> I love their new commercial, GTI's jumping over hills and bouncing all
> over the highway. This must be the natural state of the GTI , wheels
> in the air. It seems VW of america concurs.

Hey...This is typical of most cars with McPhereson strut front
suspension and a front wieght bias. Dont criticize without being in
the know about what your complaining about.

> >In article <232@druhi.UUCP> vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) writes:
>

> >Oh.  We *paid* $8800 (Cdn $12500) for the GTI.  Most new GTIs at the
> >dealers only have a sunroof.
>
> I am reporting what the dealers are asking in this area, Of course the
> more the dealers ask the more a vw fanatic wants one of these bricks on
> wheels . The dealer actually EXPECTED me to be excited when I picked up
> my rabbit. He has been dealing with people like you to long. The one
> and only reason to buy a rabbit is gas mileage. remember it is still
> built in america. The vw's built in europe are not the same as the ones
> built in the US. reliability is no better than a pinto.
>

> >Two 6'1" adults sit comfortably in the
> >back seat of the GTI.
>
> >Chuck, I invite you to try the back seat in a new Golf, Jetta or GTI.
> >The choice is yours --- in one piece or in a trash bag.  I'm 6'1" and
> >I can sit comfortably in the back.
>
> You must have a size 3 shoe. Or do you just hang your feet out where the
> floor pans usually rust through?
>
> >The GTI is very controllable on the limits.  The Pirelli P600's
> >>ONLY BECAUSE THE LIMITS ARE SO LOW
>
> >Once again, the supreme self-confidence of pure ignorance shines through.
>
> Once again, Another fanatic buys the biased horse shit that gets published
> in C&D or R&T. I will be in Montreal for the GP  I plan on driving my Lotus,
> should we see how FANTASTIC your GTI is? Its not a car its just a VW.

How is that British Quality anyways...Still start in winter like my
GTI does? What mag. do you read anyways...Popular Science?

> >>With my superior traction and lighter car...
> >
> >WORK OUT THE MATH
>
> I'm getting my Bachelor of Mathematics in three months.  I think I'm
> capable of basic mathematics.
>
> I see, If we are to believe magazines then the ~2500 lb GTI at ~105 hp
> with a high .CD will outperform a mustang GT at ~3200 lbs ,>200hp with a
> lower .CD and of course better tires. please enlighten me.
>
> >PROVIDED YOU COULD KEEP THE THING ON THE ROAD ?
> >DUE TO UNEQUAL DRIVESHAFT LENGTH THE TORQUE STEER ON RABBITS MAKE THEM
> >VERY UNSTABLE.
>
> >The driveshafts are of practically equal lengths on the new GTI, Golf
> >and GTI.  Not much torque steer.
>
> not that you would notice now that the car is larger and heavier.
>
> YOU SEEM TO BE INTO READING FIGURES AND NOT DRIVING. AS THE OWNER
> OF A VW RABBIT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT IT IS THE WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED.
>
> >I have driven the new GTI extensively.  Sounds like you haven't even
> >seen one.  How could you possibly tell me that you know more about it
> >than I do?
>
> I could never presume to tell a VW fanatic anything, just the point
> I am trying to make.
> " HI, I AM A VW OWNER, DONT CONFUSE ME WITH FACTS, LET ME TELL YOU
> ABOUT MY GTI."
>

> A FRIEND OF MINE HAS 5 RABBITS INCLUDING A GTI. THEY ARE ALL CRAP.
>
> >Then why did he buy 5?  Tell us, please!  And next time, lay off
> >the CapsLock key!
>
> Glad to tell you why he bought 5. He bought his first one as a commuter
> car, for gas mileage, the others for parts cars cuz the first falls apart.
> he sold the GTI 3 months after he bought it, the guy he sold it to tried
> to sell it AGAIN the next day. Is there something wrong here? He now has
> a R5 turbo II  ( real sports GT) and is trying to figure out how to get rid
> of all his rabbit droppings. Yet he still maintains rabbits are ok. What
> brain washing VW has done. Just another fanatic. VW it's a cult we can
> live without.
>
> >				   \tom haapanen
> >				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
>

> chuck gerarden
>
> ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser
Does his R5 corner on it's door handles like all French Crap?

> [...]

> I am trying to make.
> " HI, I AM A VW OWNER, DONT CONFUSE ME WITH FACTS, LET ME TELL YOU
> ABOUT MY GTI."
>

> A FRIEND OF MINE HAS 5 RABBITS INCLUDING A GTI. THEY ARE ALL CRAP.
>
> >Then why did he buy 5?  Tell us, please!  And next time, lay off
> >the CapsLock key!
>
> Glad to tell you why he bought 5. He bought his first one as a commuter
> car, for gas mileage, the others for parts cars cuz the first falls apart.
> he sold the GTI 3 months after he bought it, the guy he sold it to tried
> to sell it AGAIN the next day. Is there something wrong here? He now has
> a R5 turbo II  ( real sports GT) and is trying to figure out how to get rid
> of all his rabbit droppings. Yet he still maintains rabbits are ok. What
> brain washing VW has done. Just another fanatic. VW it's a cult we can

All you anti GTI people out there would not know a decent car if it
ran you over. Take your gold chains and pinky rings and go home to
your ugly whatever. Just stay the hell out the left lane with your
Olds 98!

jimb@drutx.UUCP (Jim Bryant) (02/13/86)

> From: vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC)
> Subject: first impressions: mustang GT
Yes, I'm already very impressed, can't wait to hear what this guy has to
say......

> >I thought my reply to the original Mustang posting was reasonable --
> >am I alone in thinking this?  And I thought stuff like Chuck's reply
> >went away with net.flame!

You're not alone Tom. Your reply was reasonable, and his reply should
have been in net.flame (or better yet, flushed down net.toilet).

> net.flame went away, but I have not. It makes me sick to see vw fanatics
> cluttering up the net with the diatribe on the merits of owning a VW.
                                 ^^^^^^^^
First of all, why don't you look up the word diatribe in the dictionary,
YOU are the one cluttering up the net with diatribe. Tom was in no way
being abusive or bitter in his comparison -- as he said, "NO FLAMES - just
a comparison." If it makes you sick to see VW fanatics, or any other
fanatics on the net, use your 'N' key. Furthermore, if you want to give
any creditability to what you post to the net, try to state *your
opinion* in a civilized and intelligent manner. Talk about fanatics.

> These fanatics think that vw's are sports cars. The rabbit started out
> as an economy car, they put flashy interiors in it (more weight), wider
> tires, renamed it, a little more power, and TA-DA call it a sports car.
> Remember YOU are the one comparing it to a mustang GT. I dare say that on
> a real (road racing)track the GT would blow the rabbit off. please don't
> feed me shit about "what the magazine says" . Go ahead convince me that
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, I see, I should believe *you* and consider *your* limited experience
with this car verses that of professional drivers from several
magazines. Right, sure Chuck, anything else you would like me to believe
while you're at it?

I hope that some day you will discover that the way to enlighten a group
of people, such as readers of the net, is not by posting an article that
sounds as if it comes from a crazed high school student, but by responding
in a calm, rational, intelligent manner. Grow up.

Enough said, let's not turn this into net.flame.

> >				   \tom haapanen
> >				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
>
> chuck gerarden
> ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

jim bryant
...!ihnp4!drutx!jimb

vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) (02/13/86)

>All you anti GTI people out there would not know a decent car if it
>ran you over. Take your gold chains and pinky rings and go home to
>your ugly whatever. Just stay the hell out the left lane with your
>Olds 98!

Well if you drive a GTI you probably DO run a lot of people over.
As it has been said in many previous articles, the GTI driver
drives like he buys; with a blindfold.

Sounds like you have a persecution problem,  I seem to be
the only one on the net that thinks VW is shit. I left my
chains and ring in my leisure suit.  You mean to imply a
GTI COULD actually keep up with an olds?

chuck gerarden
ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) (02/13/86)

>From drutx!jimb Wed Feb 12 17:26:54 1986
>Subject: RE:first impressions: mustang GT

>> net.flame went away, but I have not. It makes me sick to see vw fanatics
>> cluttering up the net with the diatribe on the merits of owning a VW.
                                 ^^^^^^^^
>First of all, why don't you look up the word diatribe in the dictionary,
>YOU are the one cluttering up the net with diatribe. Tom was in no way
>being abusive or bitter in his comparison -- as he said, "NO FLAMES - just

I did not say Tom was cluttering up the net, you are only acknowledging that
he is a fanatic.

>a comparison." If it makes you sick to see VW fanatics, or any other
>fanatics on the net, use your 'N' key. Furthermore, if you want to give
>any creditability to what you post to the net, try to state *your
>opinion* in a civilized and intelligent manner. Talk about fanatics.

>> These fanatics think that vw's are sports cars. The rabbit started out
>> as an economy car, they put flashy interiors in it (more weight), wider
>> tires, renamed it, a little more power, and TA-DA call it a sports car.
>> Remember YOU are the one comparing it to a mustang GT. I dare say that on
>> a real (road racing)track the GT would blow the rabbit off. please don't
>> feed me shit about "what the magazine says" . Go ahead convince me that
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Oh, I see, I should believe *you* and consider *your* limited experience
>with this car verses that of professional drivers from several
>magazines. Right, sure Chuck, anything else you would like me to believe
>while you're at it?

WHAT ! another gullible person who believes whatever he reads.
The drivers who do the tests are quite good and deserve all the respect
due them. It is the editors, writers, and statisticians who convert the
facts to fit the EXPECTED results.

>I hope that some day you will discover that the way to enlighten a group
>of people, such as readers of the net, is not by posting an article that
>sounds as if it comes from a crazed high school student, but by responding
>in a calm, rational, intelligent manner. Grow up.

I am not posting articles to enlighten everyone, you just happen to be one of
the few who does not agree with my opinion of the VW line .
You see I DO own a VW (you did not indicate that you did) I am speaking
from experience gained through my own testing.

>Enough said, let's not turn this into net.flame.

> >				   \tom haapanen
> >				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
>
> chuck gerarden
> ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

>jim bryant
>...!ihnp4!drutx!jimb

chuck gerarden
ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

olds@ihlpa.UUCP (Mondeville) (02/14/86)

> > From: vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC)
> > Subject: first impressions: mustang GT
> Yes, I'm already very impressed, can't wait to hear what this guy has to
> say......
>
> > >I thought my reply to the original Mustang posting was reasonable --
> > >am I alone in thinking this?  And I thought stuff like Chuck's reply
> > >went away with net.flame!
>
> You're not alone Tom. Your reply was reasonable, and his reply should
> have been in net.flame (or better yet, flushed down net.toilet).

> > net.flame went away, but I have not. It makes me sick to see vw fanatics
> > cluttering up the net with the diatribe on the merits of owning a VW.
>                                  ^^^^^^^^
> First of all, why don't you look up the word diatribe in the dictionary,
> YOU are the one cluttering up the net with diatribe. Tom was in no way
> being abusive or bitter in his comparison -- as he said, "NO FLAMES - just
> a comparison." If it makes you sick to see VW fanatics, or any other
> fanatics on the net, use your 'N' key. Furthermore, if you want to give
> any creditability to what you post to the net, try to state *your
> opinion* in a civilized and intelligent manner. Talk about fanatics.
>
> > These fanatics think that vw's are sports cars. The rabbit started out
> > as an economy car, they put flashy interiors in it (more weight), wider
> > tires, renamed it, a little more power, and TA-DA call it a sports car.
> > Remember YOU are the one comparing it to a mustang GT. I dare say that on
> > a real (road racing)track the GT would blow the rabbit off. please don't
> > feed me shit about "what the magazine says" . Go ahead convince me that
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Oh, I see, I should believe *you* and consider *your* limited experience
> with this car verses that of professional drivers from several
> magazines. Right, sure Chuck, anything else you would like me to believe
> while you're at it?
>
> I hope that some day you will discover that the way to enlighten a group
> of people, such as readers of the net, is not by posting an article that
> sounds as if it comes from a crazed high school student, but by responding
> in a calm, rational, intelligent manner. Grow up.
>
> Enough said, let's not turn this into net.flame.
>
> > >				   \tom haapanen
> > >				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
> >
> > chuck gerarden
> > ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser
>
> jim bryant
> ...!ihnp4!drutx!jimb

  This is to reply to all you foolish gti<<<<(notice little letters I give this car
  no respect at all)people.You have some nerve trying to tell people not to flame
  your letters.If the oringinal author would'nt have been so damn stupid as to
  compare that bullshit gti to a real machine such as a mustang GT,this would have
  all been avoided.Now lets skip all the magazine hogwash because it doesn't mean
  a damn thing ON THE ROAD.Lets see that gti shit really try to beat a mustang at
  a stoplight or on a nice twisty road.It couldn't do it.In real world,the single most
  important thing in `street' competition is HORSEPOWER.How the hell do you gti
  people think you can outhandle......blah...blah...blah a high performance V8?,
  you won't have the chance because the mustang or any other HI-PO V8 will have
  dusted your butt and you'll be to busy crying to do any driving.90% of your
  driving is done on open highway or city streets, not on a racing course.So
  all those handling specs attained on the `track' will not be used on the street.
  Acceleration however will.Have you gti people ever gotten up enough guts to
  challange a GT or something comparable on the street???.If you did I'm sure
  you would'nt have posted your silly attempts to justify owning an underpowered
  slug such as a gti.I by the way do not own a GT,lest you think my opinion is
  biased.I drive a '76 Trans-Am,and I love see you gti,bmw saab,..etc..fools
  try to beat my 4bbl 400 T.A..I'ts almost more fun than real competetion.
  I blow you folks away so bad,you don't even care to finish the race,and you're
  to chicken to pull up next to me again(and see me laughing my head off).
  You never even bother to find out if you can out handle me or not.
  Most of you gti people probably don't race your cars anyway.

  The bottom line is don't compare your gti to cars outside it's class.
  The mustang GT and all comparable cars including mine are DEFINITELY
  out of your class.

      						Eugene G. Mandeville
						AT&T Bell Labs
						ihnp4!ihlpa!olds

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (02/15/86)

Children, children, BOBBY! STOP HITTING YOUR BROTHER, MARY!
STOP EATING WITH YOUR HANDS, DANNY! STOP HITTING THE TABLE
WITH YOUR SPOON...    About 50% of the reponses in this
Mustang GT, GTI, etc. discussion could have been penned by
four year olds.  I really like my car (a DODGE DAYTONA TURBO)
but I am sure there are plenty of people out there who would
be happy to chew my ear off about how it's nothing but a tin
box with wheels that couldn't accelerate its way out of a paper
bag.  I, however, like the way it looks, like the reasonable
economy, am quite comfortable with the acceleration and handling.
In general, I don't give a flying f**k how inadequate someone
else feels my car is.  Some people who still haven't managed to
pass puberty yet, however, feel that others who have a different
set of priorities for what they want in a car are deranged to like
the cars they are driving and disagree over what automobiles they
think are the bee's knees.
These pre-adolescents feel they must enlighten you with the mistake
of your ways.  Their course is the gentle technique of
torrents of caustic abuse of your car, your person, and your intelligence.
Their intelligence is not in question, we all know that measured on
a thermometer it wouldn't even get out of the bulb.  The technical
term for these persons is usually muttered under the breath when
reading their postings as sort of an incantation.  The term is derived
from the root words donkey and holy which after removing the extraneous
syllables and performing the proper translation on donkey produce
a conjunction most sublime and yet, most proper to use in these
circumstances.
Just to be clear, I think both the Mustang GT and the GTI are quite
reasonable autombiles.  I happened to have priorities that made
me prefer the car I bought.  That yours are different bothers me
not in the least.

Happy motoring!

    O  -
    \-/

David Albrecht

jon@msunix.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (02/15/86)

> > Yes, I'm already very impressed, can't wait to hear what this guy has to
> > say......
> >
> > > net.flame went away, but I have not. It makes me sick to see vw fanatics
> > > cluttering up the net with the diatribe on the merits of owning a VW.
> >                                  ^^^^^^^^
> > > These fanatics think that vw's are sports cars. The rabbit started out
> > > as an economy car, they put flashy interiors in it (more weight), wider
> > > tires, renamed it, a little more power, and TA-DA call it a sports car.
> > > Remember YOU are the one comparing it to a mustang GT. I dare say that on
> > > a real (road racing)track the GT would blow the rabbit off. please don't
> > > feed me shit about "what the magazine says" . Go ahead convince me that
>
>a damn thing ON THE ROAD.Lets see that gti shit really try to beat a mustang at
>a stoplight or on a nice twisty road.It couldn't do it.In real world,the single most
>important thing in `street' competition is HORSEPOWER.How the hell do you gti
>people think you can outhandle......blah...blah...blah a high performance V8?,
>you won't have the chance because the mustang or any other HI-PO V8 will have
>dusted your butt and you'll be to busy crying to do any driving.90% of your
>driving is done on open highway or city streets, not on a racing course.So
>all those handling specs attained on the `track' will not be used on the street
>I blow you folks away so bad,you don't even care to finish the race,and you're
>to chicken to pull up next to me again(and see me laughing my head off).
>You never even bother to find out if you can out handle me or not.
>The bottom line is don't compare your gti to cars outside it's class.

This is getting to be a lot of fun.  Pardon me for including so much
of previous articles but this stuff is great.  It makes me sick too
when people (esp. preppies and underprivileged yuppies) try to tell
me that the GTI is the ultimate in high performance cars.  They've never
experienced a vehicle with a high power-to-weight ratio.  However, no one
on the net has said that, or said that they can blow a Mustang GT away with
their GTI.  The only thing that was done was a comparison which
pointed out the GTI is a sporty, fun to drive, good handling, tossable
car with decent acceleration.  We all know the Mustang GT has the acceleration
to peel back your eyes and handling to rearrange your internal organs.

If you feel threatened by these comparisons and want to read stoplight
challenges into them, fine.  People with GTI's know that they have small,
sporty cars with good performance.  They also know that they'd need twice
the horsepower to compete in a stoplight grand prix with a Mustang GT.
I have an '84 Scirocco and I find it more fun to drive than my friend's
'85 5-liter 5-speed Mustang GT.  We were up skiing at Tahoe after Christmas
and raced around the lake a few times.  He of course blew me away on the
straights but I made him work hard to keep up with me on the twisty stuff.

Neither I nor other VW "fanatics" who have posted to the net have delusions
of beating a Mustang GT on the street or on the track.  We do think we have
cars capable of good performance and enjoy driving them on twisty roads.
And if you want to race something, race me on my Honda VF500F Interceptor.
After one of my 3.9 second 0-60mph runs, you'll be crying so hard you
won't be able to find your keyboard to post another follow-up.

Bitchin' Camaro!		Jonathan Hue
Bitchin' Camaro!		LMSC-Mechanisms & Servos
Tire Tracks Across your Lawn!
(c) The Dead Milkmen, 1985	{amdcad!cae780,sun!sunncal}!leadsv!msunix!jon

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (02/17/86)

Summary:GTIs OK, Mustangs OK

First, it seems to me that this argument is getting way out of hand,
with flames being posted on top of flames.  I really don't think the net
is the place for this sort of thing, but I'll go ahead and post this
anyway.

Okay, now a few facts about myself and my car, so that you all know
where I'm coming from.  I drive an '83 GTI, and as I've said before, I
think that it is a wonderful car.  It is fairly fast, handles very well
(and for 2 years in England I owned an Alfasud, an excellent handling
car) and is quite economical.  It has also been dead reliable, and has
not cost me a cent in repairs outside of routine maintainance ( after
40,000 miles).  However, I will be the first to admit that it is not a
sports car.  What it is is a sports hatchback, the first sold in the
States, but a catagory of cars that is very popular in Europe, and a
class of cars defined by the GTI there.  Indeed, the GTI is still
reckoned to be the best of its class there.  The GTI is also *not* a
direct competitor to the Mustang GT, which is an altogether larger, more
powerful, more expensive car whose competition is more on the order of
various Camaros, Toyota Supras, etc.

Finally, let me make a comment on the "wheels up" cornering of the GTI,
and of most VWs.  While it does look kind of funny (I always thought
that it looks like a dog in search of a fire hydrant :-), every magazine
that I've read, as well as personal experience, says that it does not
adversely affect the handling of the car.  I know that the old model of
the GTI would circle the skid pad at just under 0.8 G, while the new one
manages just over 0.8G-very respectable for any car, and about equal to
what a Mustang GT can do.  I might add that, from what I've read, the
older Mustang GTs were kind of dog's in handling, but that in the last
couple of years they have gotten much better.

Now, I hope that this will get some of the flames off of the net.  If
you do have any flames about this article, kindly send them to
/dev/null.

--
Dave Fritzinger, Public Health Research Institute, NY,NY
{allegra!phri!fritz}

"I think. I think I am. Therefore, I am,...I think."

					Moody Blues