[comp.sys.next] A Few Questions

dean@neptune.Berkeley.EDU (06/30/89)

Since we just received our Next at work last Friday afternoon, I have a few
elementary questions.  Please reply via email as I'm sure most of this
newsgroup has no interest in the answers....

1) In /usr/adm/messages, I see a lot of unable to open /dev/tty messages.
What's causing this, and what can I do about it ?

2) Can someone point me to a port of Kermit, as I have the file-transfer
bootstraping problem -- the machine is not networked, so it looks like
I'm going to have to bring in uuencoded stuff with tip...which doesn't
seem quite able to keep up with 2400 baud in a Terminal window....

3) Will there be a combined Terminal/Shell, ala xterm sometime ?  I note
that Apollo also got this wrong...

4) I'm trying to display some scrolling text in a panel.  The obvious (to me)
approach didn't quite work.  I got the text up, but no scrollbar.  I'm trying
to put a Text-class object into a ScrollView, and make that the ContentView
of the panel.  Can someone provide some hints ?

5) This is really silly, but:  I can't get the workspace manager's
autolaunch on login feature working on my account, it works fine on the
me account Next provides...I haven't checked whether or not it will work
for root.  What, if anything, do I need to do to get this working ?

6)  Is there a Mach book around the level of _The Design and Implementation
of 4.3 BSD Unix_, (Karels, McKusick, et al.)  Or even, where can I order
mach manuals from ?

7) Why did lint go away ?

Well, I'm posting from home, and that's all I can remember.  Please don't
waste net.bandwidth on these....

Thanks,
Drew Dean
Internet: dean@xcssun.berkeley.edu
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!xcssun!dean
My opinions, unless otherwise noted, are _not_ those of UC Berkeley, the

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (07/02/89)

In article <15094@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dean@xcssun.Berkeley.EDU () writes:
>1) In /usr/adm/messages, I see a lot of unable to open /dev/tty messages.
>What's causing this, and what can I do about it ?
It's the Workspace talking to itself, I think; no need to worry about it.

>4) I'm trying to display some scrolling text in a panel.  The obvious (to me)
>approach didn't quite work.  I got the text up, but no scrollbar.  I'm trying
>to put a Text-class object into a ScrollView, and make that the ContentView
>of the panel.  Can someone provide some hints ?

This is most easily done by using one of the ScrollingText objects
from Interface Builder. Make it the outlet of some object, and,
on initialization of that outlet, you can set the text in the
ScrollView with a simple:

	[[anObject docView] setText:"Hello World."];

Or, you can use readText:, or, even better yet, readRichText:.
In some cases you might have to recalculate the frame of the Text object
with a call to getMinWidth:...; see the ScrollingText class in the Yap sources
on how to do this.

>7) Why did lint go away ?
With an ANSI compiler, you probably won't need it.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com

woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Woo) (07/03/89)

1.  What version of GNU C is shipped with 0.9?

2.  It is stated in the documentation that NeXT will make
their mods to the GNU C compiler available.  Has anyone posted
these to one of the repositories?

3.  Has anyone built GNU g++ or libg++?

Alex Woo
woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) (07/04/89)

In article <10374@polya.Stanford.EDU> Ali T. Ozer writes:
>In article <15094@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dean@xcssun.Berkeley.EDU () writes:
>>7) Why did lint go away ?
>With an ANSI compiler, you probably won't need it.

If you miss 'lint' as an entity, you can always do something like:

    alias lint "cc -Wall -S -o /dev/null"

and then 'lint program.c' prints the warning messages but produces no binary.
Of course, to redirect output to a file you'll need to redirect stderr, eg.

    lint program.c >& program.lint

- Christopher
-------

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/05/89)

>    lint program.c >& program.lint

If I am not mistaken, lint did a lot more than produce only a
few messages for one file. It could for example check the consistency
of a number of source files, as well as indicate if, for example,
printf format arguments were properly specified for what followed.
(at least in some versions). I don't think -Wall can do all of it.

/ivo

jpf@hpindda.HP.COM (Jeff Francis) (08/04/89)

Here's a few questions for you NeXT gurus:

- How BSD 4.3 compatible, at both the command level and
  syscall/libcall level, is the NeXT OS?

- Has NeXT provided AppKit Objects for network IPC?

- What docs are available now (0.9) and what is expected to
  be available in 1.0? If possible be specific by including volume
  name and contents.

- What's the deal on "SoftModem" and "SoftFax?"  Do they, or will they, exist?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Francis

jpf%hpinddu@sde.hp.com

pwm@csis.dit.csiro.au (Peter Milne) (05/16/91)

Folks, a few questions:

[1] What sort of delays are people seeing from NeXT from when they send in
    their registration card to when they receive Improv etc back from
    NeXT?  I sent my card in over a month ago but haven't received anything.

[2] 2.1 has recently been installed on my NeXTstation.  I had gained the
    impression that 2.1 automatically powered the NeXT laser printer
    down when it was idle, but this doesn't seem to be the case on my
    system.  Do I need to do something to activate this feature in 2.1?

[3] Is there some way that I can change the default paper size in
    WriteNow, FrameMaker, PrintManager, etc to be A4 rather than Letter?
    I assume that there are defaults database variables which can do this,
    but I don't know what they are.

[4] Sometime ago someone posted a list of all the names of defaults
    database variables for the common NeXT applications - could someone
    please send me a copy of these or better, details on how to
    discover what they are.  (dread -g only tells you the details of
    variables which have actually been set, I want to know the names of
    all the variables which could be set.)

[5] Does anyone have a list of the bugs/improvements/new features 2.1
    provides?

Perhaps answers to 2, 3, and 4 would be worthy of inclusion in FAQ, eh
Pascal?

Peter

goose@surf.sics.bu.oz.au (Ralph Schwarten) (05/17/91)

From article <1991May16.014526.18093@csis.dit.csiro.au>, by pwm@csis.dit.csiro.au (Peter Milne):
> Folks, a few questions:
> [Questions deleted]

Sorry Peter, I can't answer your questions.
What interested me most about your posting however was the fact that you
seem to be an Australian !

I thought that I was one of few people in Aus to actually have a NeXT.
('030 cube)
How did you manage to get your station over here ?
What do you think of it ?
What do your colleagues think of it ?
What sort of price did you pay for it ?
The reason for the last question is this: I have a friend who would like
to get a station. (A new one)  I obtained my cube second hand from the
uni of Montreal.

Hope to hear from you soon
Best Regards
Ralph Schwarten

p.s regards to George Bray if you know him