[comp.sys.next] Lisp on the NeXT

880716a@aucs.UUCP (Dave Astels) (04/20/89)

In article <4761@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>that one could implement Flavors/CLOS/whatever in such a way that classes
>defined in C looked (programatically) pretty much the same as classes
>defined in Lisp.

That would be the way to go.  Sort of like Mac toolbox access.  Otherwise
you aren't any furthur ahead that running under vanilla UNIX.  You should be
able to access all the NeXTStep goodies and the Kits as well.  GNU EMACS Lisp
isn't the way to go, as far as I can see.  There should be a LISP/CLOS
developement  environment that features all this as well as both interpretor
and a true compiler that will create programs that can be launched from the
WorkBench.

(my terminology may be off as I am not too familiar with NeXT yet.)

-Dave

jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) (04/10/91)

Thanks everyone for your replies to my query about LISP on the NeXT's.
Many of the responses where quite illuminating.  I haven't heard of a
lot of corporate level efforts using LISP though which is odd.  Surely
someone out there is doing LISP in a corporate research environment.
Maybe not.

Anyway, I wanted to ask one more question.  I know that ESL uses
NeXT's rather heavily.  Is there anyone out there at ESL who reads
this bboard?  Could you send me some info on what you folks do on
NeXT's?  I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of work is being done
in the corporate environment as well as in the LISP world on the NeXT.

So thanks again and keep those responses coming!

bernou@LELAND.STANFORD.EDU (Bernard Salanie) (05/17/91)

There is a FAQ that deals with "How do I get Lisp on the NeXT".
Well, one solution is to download David Betz's xlisp from
/pub in bikini.cis.ufl.edu. To get the program to work
correctly on the NeXT, I had to make a few changes in
unixstuf.c :

#define BSD

in function init_tty:  declare extern char xltoplevel()
in function read_keybd:
	change     char buf[1]   to   char buf[100]
	change     sizeof(buf)   to   sizeof(char)

I've been playing with the program (I know very little about LISP... yet)
and it seems to work fine.

Bernard Salanie