[comp.sys.next] Power Surge protection & Terminal use

ceblair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) (04/15/91)

   (1) How careful does one have to be about power surges.  EG, should
a next be unplugged during a thunderstorm.  (I can't fit the plug
from my Next into a surge protector.  Is this intentional?)

   (2) Is there any way to initialize a floppy in DOS format?

   (3) Can one execute the ``eject diskette'' from Terminal?

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.204737.25075@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ceblair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

>   (1) How careful does one have to be about power surges.  EG, should
>a next be unplugged during a thunderstorm.  (I can't fit the plug
>from my Next into a surge protector.  Is this intentional?)

  ALWAYS be careful about power surges. Check as much as you can your local
electrical supply--they can vary markedly over a few city blocks. Also,
since NeXT is a UNIX box, it may do a lot of caching before writing to disk.
Consequence: lose power, lose the file you *thought* you saves 5 minutes ago.
And the outlet on your surge protector--is it 3-prong? (You never know.) The
NeXT plug seems a standard 3-prong to me....
  I do highly recommend getting a UPS--I ordered one the day after I ordered
my slab, and it was 3 months before I saw the slab!

>   (2) Is there any way to initialize a floppy in DOS format?

  Check out /NextAdmin for an app called BuildDOS.

>   (3) Can one execute the ``eject diskette'' from Terminal?

  There should be one. Try unmount in the man pages for some cross refs.

  Good luck (and buy that UPS!).

  Nik.

  PS  UPS=Universal Power Supply (battery backup for power failure--gives you
5 or more minutes to do a graceful shutdown).
--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.233319.3123@engin.umich.edu> dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:
>In article <1991Apr14.204737.25075@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ceblair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) writes:
>>
>>   (1) How careful does one have to be about power surges.  EG, should
>>a next be unplugged during a thunderstorm.  (I can't fit the plug
>>from my Next into a surge protector.  Is this intentional?)
>
>  ALWAYS be careful about power surges. Check as much as you can your local
>electrical supply--they can vary markedly over a few city blocks. Also,
>since NeXT is a UNIX box, it may do a lot of caching before writing to disk.
>Consequence: lose power, lose the file you *thought* you saves 5 minutes ago.
>And the outlet on your surge protector--is it 3-prong? (You never know.) The
>NeXT plug seems a standard 3-prong to me....

I'm thinking of getting a NeXT soon, so I was wondering if there are
any UPS's that can notify the NeXT its connected to that power
just went out and start a shutdown script.  I know of UPS's that do
this with Novell servers, so are there any for NeXT's or UNIX
boxes in general?
--
Bill Chin                            internet:bchin@umd5.umd.edu
MS-Windows Programmer[ignore this :-)] NeXTmail:bchin@is-next.umd.edu

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (04/15/91)

In article <8431@umd5.umd.edu> bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) writes:

>I'm thinking of getting a NeXT soon, so I was wondering if there are
>any UPS's that can notify the NeXT its connected to that power
>just went out and start a shutdown script.  I know of UPS's that do
>this with Novell servers, so are there any for NeXT's or UNIX
>boxes in general?

I saw this quite recently in "comp.sources.misc".
It may be useful if you want to do automatic shutdown
for power outages that lasts a little too long.
There have been two patches to this.