[comp.sys.next] Where for art thou Adobe Illustrator for the NeXT?

murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (05/17/91)

Well the subject line says it all, does anyone know when  or whether
Adobe has released Illustrator for the NeXT?

Bill Murphy
murphy@physics.purdue.edu

West Lafayette, IN:  Where progress takes a back seat to tradition.

jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (05/18/91)

In article <5116@dirac.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:

>Well the subject line says it all, does anyone know when  or whether
>Adobe has released Illustrator for the NeXT?
>
>Bill Murphy
>murphy@physics.purdue.edu
>
>West Lafayette, IN:  Where progress takes a back seat to tradition.

I am beta-testing Adobe Illustrator 3.0 for the NeXT. It is fairly robust,
but there are still a few more bugs to fix. I have been told that there would
be another beta-release in June, so, I think the product release wouldn't
happen until after that.

Believe me, it is worth looking forward to!

Now, where is Photoshop for the NeXT?

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.232743.6387@wimsey.bc.ca> jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) writes:
>In article <5116@dirac.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:
>>
>>Well the subject line says it all, does anyone know when  or whether
>>Adobe has released Illustrator for the NeXT?
>>
>I am beta-testing Adobe Illustrator 3.0 for the NeXT. It is fairly robust,
>but there are still a few more bugs to fix. I have been told that there would
>be another beta-release in June, so, I think the product release wouldn't
>happen until after that.
>
>Believe me, it is worth looking forward to!

It looks like it's taking forever.  I am getting really impatient
with this.  Was it an article in NeXTWorld which said that
Illustrator is actually being ported from the Mac version?
This is really bad, having the least common denominator
of its functionality forced down to the level of Mac,
not even talking about the possible uglyness in the code,
which I don't care too much to me.
More than that, though, NeXT release will always trail that of the
Mac version probably by more than a year at this rate.

Nevertheless, I would very much like to see Illustrator come
to NeXT.  We will be anxiously waiting, and waiting ....

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (05/18/91)

I got so impatient that I went out and bought an SE so that I could
run Illustrator, Freehand, Fontographer, etc. It's great! Put an
ethernet card in it, and I'm all set! I even put a scanner on it (for
much less than a NeXT-type scanner) and use it for all my OCR work!

So when Illustrator finally arrives, maybe I'll take a look at it ;-)

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
	- Celibacy is a curable condition -