[comp.sys.next] Edit

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.124936.28168@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
>appears that WriteNow supports some nice keyboard commands for editing
>(go to end of line, go to beginning of line and selection changes too),
>but Edit doesn't support any of them.
>Is there a real reason for this inconsistency?

I suspect the reason is that WriteNow was a product before the Cube; it
is a port (or a rewrite) of a program that already had the features.  NeXT
hasn't gotten around to it for Edit (whether they intend to is a separate
question, of course).

>Then there's the Find/grep function of Edit. I tried a simple regular
>expression replace command, but it appears that it doesn't support stuff
>like \(.*\)$ replaced with \1foobar, which just appends foobar to the
>end of every line.

There's my biggest complaint.  I'd gotten very used to saying:

cmd-a shift-cmd-l sed 's/whatever/something/'

to get around the problem.

Then they took shift-cmd-l away.  I could do without the automatic
parens matching (manual was fine); I really, really want REAL regular
expressions.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

grant@gouche (Grant J. Munsey) (05/19/91)

Couple 'o questions about Edit.

It looks to me like Edit uses /bin/sh to execute commands
invoked with the User Commands menu entry. Is there some
way to change this to /bin/csh?

When I 'su' and then use 'openfile' on a text file it won't
connect to the Edit that I have running (it was started by
the window manager) Is there a way to fix this?

I like Edit except for one thing, I can't mark a place (like
the declarations portion of a procedure) so that I can
flip back to it quickly. I can't seem to keep two copies of
the same file open so that i can just have different parts
of the same file show at once. I could do this by firing off 2
copies of Edit but then the file contents wouldn't track
Is there some way to do this that I haven't discovered?

Thanks,
----
Grant Munsey, Mainticore, Inc. (408) 733-3838
grant@gouche.portal.com  or  decwrl!apple!portal!gouche!grant