[comp.sys.next] pcomm

rwong@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Robert Wong) (05/11/91)

Has anyone managed to get pcomm (a telecommunications program
(non-graphical)) to work on the NeXT?  If you have, do you have any hints?
Also, where can I get either the source code or the binaries for pcomm?

Please e-mail me (at Robert_Wong@mtsg.ubc.ca (rather than
rwong@questor.wimsey.bc.ca) and I'll summarize.  Thanks.

 ---
    Robert Wong (rwong@questor.wimsey.bc.ca)
      The QUESTOR Project: Free Public Access to Usenet & Internet in
                            Vancouver, BC, Canada, at +1 604 681 0670.

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (05/12/91)

In article <eRcR21w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> rwong@questor.wimsey.bc.ca
(Robert Wong) writes:
> Has anyone managed to get pcomm (a telecommunications program
> (non-graphical)) to work on the NeXT?  If you have, do you have any hints?
> Also, where can I get either the source code or the binaries for pcomm?

	I tried porting it and spent a good deal of my time before finally giving up.
I think the sources are at uunet.uu.net. Try asking ARCHIE where they are.
   The short answer to a long porting session is: NO. They are written in the
SYS V dialect of UNIX which doesn't share much TTY functionality with BSD UNIX.
I found that I'd have to re-write much of the tty and i/o routines which would
take me more time then I had.
    Try using kermit, it's less hassle.

	   - jiro nakamura
      jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

mattly@aldur.esd.sgi.com (James Mattly) (05/17/91)

In <1991May12.032441.11765@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:

>> Has anyone managed to get pcomm (a telecommunications program
>> (non-graphical)) to work on the NeXT?  If you have, do you have any hints?
>> Also, where can I get either the source code or the binaries for pcomm?

>	I tried porting it and spent a good deal of my time before finally giving up.
>I think the sources are at uunet.uu.net. Try asking ARCHIE where they are.
>   The short answer to a long porting session is: NO. They are written in the
>SYS V dialect of UNIX which doesn't share much TTY functionality with BSD UNIX.
>I found that I'd have to re-write much of the tty and i/o routines which would
>take me more time then I had.

	This isn't entirely true (nor false).  There is a port of pcomm for BSD.
You can find it in the same place as you found the SysV version (an archive of
comp.sources.unix).  It's a bit later chronologically however.  As I was highly
motivated to get the poor thing to work I did some relativly unethical things
during the port to the next.  Basicly for the time being (on my system at least)
the chdir function of the package is broken.  The error is some kind of curses
weirdness and as I've not used curses (nor really have any desire to) I just
commented the code out and continued the build.
	Once built the package has some definite preferences as to where it lives
else it just craps out.  Other than that it was simple to get built and install.
Good luck!

--
	James Mattly (mattly@aldur.esd.sgi.com)

capslock@wet.UUCP (Allen Crider) (05/19/91)

>(Robert Wong) writes:
> Has anyone managed to get pcomm (a telecommunications program
> (non-graphical)) to work on the NeXT?  If you have, do you have any hints?
> Also, where can I get either the source code or the binaries for pcomm?

You can get the binaries from our bbs. The source code is there also, but
the changes are uncommented. the bbs # is 415-841-6302 and it is running
a telebit t2500 modem.