[comp.sys.next] Diagram! edu. price outside US? how?

andreas@falke.?? (Andreas Eisele) (05/18/91)

Our institute would like to purchase Diagram! from Lighthouse Design
for a NeXTstation at the educational price of $75.--. However, as it
seems, we can not buy it, since both Lighthouse and NeXT Connection
have a minimum amount of $ 250.-- for shipments outside the US.

As far as I know, no actual shipment has to be done, since we only
need a registration number in order to turn the demo version from the
archive at Purdue into a full functional version and since all
documentation is included online in this version (does someone know if
this assumption holds?). In the ideal case, we would tell Lighthouse
or NeXT Connection our MasterCard number and they would give us the
registration number for the program. In this way everything could be
done within a couple of days and besides two FAX messages no
additional costs would arise. I proposed this to Lighthouse, but they
said they would not handle orders below their minimum amount.  They
suggested to buy 4 licences instead (which is a bit too much for a
single slab, I think).

I also asked a nearby NeXT-dealer, but they want more than $250 for a
_single_ academic licence...

So for me it looks as if it is not possible for a non-US academic
institution to buy a single licence of Diagram! at the educational
price (sigh), or does someone have a proposal?

Perhaps some other non-US academic customers (perferably in Germany)
want to participate in a collective order? Or does anyone have a spare
licence they want to sell?

Thanks for any suggestion,

Andreas
|Andreas Eisele                Institut fuer maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung|
|Tel.:    +49-711-121-3128     Universitaet Stuttgart, Keplerstrasse 17    |
|Fax.:    +49-711-121-3141   D-7000 Stuttgart 1,  Fed. Rep. of Germany     |
|Internet: andreas@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de                      |

PPSTL@livid.uib.no (05/20/91)

[...]

I had my copy shipped to a friend in the States who mailed it to me.
Costs $25 (the $250 stuff is for when they send you things - DHL is fast
but expensive :-)

Thor
me@fiol.uib.no