[comp.sys.next] 030->040 Mach 3, System 3

kheit@remus.rutgers.edu (KHEIT) (05/17/91)

Hi, I just received my 040 upgrade and I heard that some users new how
to use the old 030 for a print server, window server etc.  I have an
extra 80 meg quantum drive and 8 megs of ram to put in the 030.  I
figured I could network them togeter, but the problems is the power
source.

Q:Could I just put the 030 on the NeXTBus and have the 040 be the
Master without conflicts in someway ( I know this is unlikely until
Mach 3 comes out...)

Q:Does anyone know what can be done for a power source (other than
finding the right pins in the slot and jimmying it?

Q:Does anyone know when the new release of System software is coming
out, and if it will have version 3 of mach (which should support
multi-processing) .

Q:Does anyone know how to make the next sound box work on a monochrome
next cube.  It was accidentally ordered and I kept it rather than
dealing with the hassel of sending it back...  My speaker is a little
shakey and I would like the mic thats built into it.

Q:I have a 660 meg drive, but about 60-100 megs seems to be missing
after I did the build disk System release 2.0.  Where's all the
missing space?

Q:Has anyone ever replaced the built in speaker on the MegaPixel and
if so what, was it difficult and what were the specs on the new
speaker.

	Thanx a whole bunch...Any answers will be greatly appriciated.

		John

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (05/20/91)

In article <May.16.14.17.46.1991.2866@remus.rutgers.edu> kheit@remus.rutgers.edu (KHEIT) writes:
>Hi, I just received my 040 upgrade and I heard that some users new how
>to use the old 030 for a print server, window server etc.  I have an
>extra 80 meg quantum drive and 8 megs of ram to put in the 030.  I
>figured I could network them togeter, but the problems is the power
>source.
>
>Q:Could I just put the 030 on the NeXTBus and have the 040 be the
>Master without conflicts in someway ( I know this is unlikely until
>speaker.

I don't intend to flame anyone but,  you are supposed to send the '030
board back after your upgraded machine is working.  You are NOT to keep
the '030 board.

I for one would like NeXT to give me the choice of upgrading when the next
new NeXT comes out but if people like you don't send their boards back
what do you think the chances of that are????

I hope NeXT keeps track of who sent their boards back and who didn't.
Remember NeXT no longer makes the '030 board and not everyone upgraded to
a '040 so the '030 boards that come out of upgraded cubes might be needed
for spare parts inventory.

>	Thanx a whole bunch...Any answers will be greatly appriciated.
>
>		John

Kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */