[comp.sys.next] What is /usr/shlib

rdd@wuphys.wustl.edu (Rakhal D. Dave) (05/17/91)

There is 3.0 MBs of stuff in /usr/shlib. Theses are all libraries:
libNeXT_s.C.shlib*   libmusic_s.A.shlib*  libsys_s.B.shlib*
libdsp_s.A.shlib*    libni_s.A.shlib*
Question is do I need these for day to day work. This would be using all the
application programs and sometimes installing stuff and doing a "make" etc.
What are these libraries used for ?  I'd love to make some extra space.
Rakhal.

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May17.164126.8724@wuphys.wustl.edu> Rakhal D. Dave writes:
>There is 3.0 MBs of stuff in /usr/shlib. Theses are all libraries:
>libNeXT_s.C.shlib*   libmusic_s.A.shlib*  libsys_s.B.shlib*
>libdsp_s.A.shlib*    libni_s.A.shlib*
>Question is do I need these for day to day work.

Yes you do! Those are the shared libraries used by the various apps, and if
you get rid of any of these files, chances are some apps (not only NeXT but
also third party apps) will stop running.

Ali, Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com

johnr@oceania.UUCP (John Robison) (05/21/91)

In article <763@rosie.NeXT.COM> aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
> In article <1991May17.164126.8724@wuphys.wustl.edu> Rakhal D. Dave writes:
> >There is 3.0 MBs of stuff in /usr/shlib. Theses are all libraries:
> >libNeXT_s.C.shlib*   libmusic_s.A.shlib*  libsys_s.B.shlib*
> >libdsp_s.A.shlib*    libni_s.A.shlib*
> >Question is do I need these for day to day work.
>
> Yes you do! Those are the shared libraries used by the various apps, and if
> you get rid of any of these files, chances are some apps (not only NeXT but
> also third party apps) will stop running.

And, more importantly, your machine will not finish its boot!!

John
--
| A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance |
| of his own verbosity.  --> We gladly accept NeXT Mail <-- |