[comp.sys.next] Chinese or Japanese Postscript Fonts

chung@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Chien-Li Chung) (05/23/91)

Anyone in Japan know how much Canon is charging for the kanji fonts?
Also can I get an address so I can make the purchase?

Thanks!

Chien-Li Chung
CUCCA

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.210923.3212@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
chung@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Chien-Li Chung) writes:

>Anyone in Japan know how much Canon is charging for the kanji fonts?
>Also can I get an address so I can make the purchase?

This is a typical good news and bad news story.
The good news is that NeXT OS with Japanese support, Release 2.1J
is scheduled to be released next month.

The bad news is that the two Kanji PostScript fonts, unless
Canon & NeXT have changed their minds, will cost you, gasp,
150,000 yen.
You have to figure 200,000 yen, at that rate, for the complete
usable Japanese OS.

That's $1500.  A half the price of a NeXTstation for EDU users.
This is BAD.

A Japanese NeXT users' group NeXus, has written an open letter
to Canon to reconsider this prohibitive font pricing, but
I haven't heard what the Canon's response was, or if they
responded.

If any of the readers here know a high-level person at NeXT,
preferably a liason to NeXT Japan and Canon, please do
let them know that NeXT won't fly in the Asian market with
that pricing.

Incremental cost going from the US version of the OS to
the Japanese version should not cost more than $500.

It could actually be Morisawa which, I understand, is
the font foundary responsible for the high license price
of the font.  Please, Mr. Jobs, put your talent here
and convince Morisawa to lower the font licensing fees.

As I understand things, NeXT in the US is not selling 2.1J
in the US.  Thus, you must contact Canon directly.

Canon's NeXT marketing division:

Phone: +81-3-5232-8010             Fax: +81-3-3457-0116

81 is the country code for Japan.

Please post any information you obtain in comp.sys.next.
Thanks.

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu