[comp.sys.next] 2.1 upgrade

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (03/30/91)

I've heard that the upgrade to 2.1 is free, and that NeXT is only charging
for the media.  If this is so, would about 10 other people like to each
chip in $5 and I'll but a copy, and make it available via ftp for
those 10 people.  If you are interested, send me email.  Before I do this,
I will give NeXT a call.  If they have a problem, or if I would be violating
net ethics, I won't do it.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (04/06/91)

    A while ago, I asked if any people would be interested in chipping in to
purchase a 2.1 upgrade which I would make accessible via anon ftp for that
group.  Since then, about 9 people have said that they would chip in.  In
addition, a person at NeXT said it would be okay to share it with other
people.  So, I have ordered a copy of the upgrade.
    Fortunately, the group of people that are helping to cover the cost
seem willing to have it made available via anon ftp even to people that
don't contribute.  So, after all of the people who contribute have a change
to get the 2.1 upgrade, I will make it avialable via anon ftp.
    (The upgrade is still in the mail.)

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

fletcher@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) (05/23/91)

Just when you thought all the upgrade questions were done---comes---

Another upgrade question--I have the 2.1 upgrade on OD and would like
to put it on floppies for a friend with a Station. How can I do this?
I know how to split files but I don't know how the Installer handles
this or what it excepts (since the packages are larger than a single
disk.)

Any info?

Thanks,
Charlie
fletcher@socrates.umd.edu

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.141333.22849@socrates.umd.edu>
 fletcher@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) writes:
>Just when you thought all the upgrade questions were done---comes---
>
>Another upgrade question--I have the 2.1 upgrade on OD and would like
>to put it on floppies for a friend with a Station. How can I do this?
>I know how to split files but I don't know how the Installer handles
>this or what it excepts (since the packages are larger than a single
>disk.)
>
>Any info?

From the NeXT on-line documentation (search with "chunkPackage")
--- excerpt ---

The chunkPackage utility can be used to break up an Installeri
package (generated with the package script) when the package
is too large to fit on a single volume (for example, a single
floppy disk).  The chunkPackage utility is located in the
Installer file package:

	/NextApps/Installer.app/chunkPackage

The chunkPackage utility has the following command line
syntax (the bracketed argument is optional):

	chunkPackage package  volume-size  [ -d destination-dir ]

Arguments:

package	is the Installer package folder generated by the package script.

volume-size
	is the capacity in kilobytes of the volumes on which
	the smaller packages will be stored.

destination-dir
	specifies where to create the smaller packages.  If
no destination is specified, the chunks directory is created
in the current directory.

Given a package Foo.pkg, the chunkPackage utility createrectory
Foo.chunks with the subdirectories Foo.1, Foo.2, ..., Foo.n
and stores a smaller sub-package isn each of these subdirectories.
For example, the following command breaks up the Foo.pkg into
a number of smaller packages that will fit on 1400-kilobyte
(1.4Mbyte) floppies and places them in ./Foo.chunks:

	package Foo.pkg 1400 -d ./Foo.chunks

The ./Foo.chunks directory has the following structure after
running this script:

	./Foo.chunks
	    /Foo.1/Foo.pkg
	    /Foo.2/Foo.pkg
	    /Foo.n/Foo.pkg

Finally, you'll need to copy the Foo.pkg folder in Foo.1 onto
floppy #1, the Foo.pkg folder in Foo.2 onto floppy #2, and so on.