[comp.sys.next] EPS, Improv, and TeX

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (05/06/91)

I would like to be able to include graphs from Improv, and tiff pictures in a
TeX document. To get ps files from these programs (Improv, Scene, Icon, and
Webster) I have been using the save button from the Print panel.
In order to use the TeX macro's I move the Bounding Box to the beginning
of the document.  However, the EPS always starts on a new page, and does
a page break after the image.  It also looks like the BoundingBox's are
the size of a full page of paper.  Be removing the last showpage from the
ps file, I think I have been able to get rid of one page break.  Has
anyone been able to include ps files in TeX without the page break?
Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

stuart@previous.ADS.COM (Stuart Crawford) (05/06/91)

This is a kludge, but it works.

1.  Save the postscript file from your application
2.  Start up Draw
3.  Drag the postcript to the Draw canvas
4.  Change the pagelayout in draw so that it barely encloses your
    postcript figure
5.  Save a new version of the postscript from Draw

This also, of course, allows you to modify your figures via the Draw tools.  A
less mindless approach to doing what you require involves editing the saved
postscript source via Yap.

--

	Stuart

erik@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Erik Schumacher) (05/07/91)

OK - it is really quite simple to get the graphics right in TeX.  As had been
said, the first thing one has to do is to move the BoundingBox command to
the top of the postscript file. Then one can eather use the epsf style
option, and include the graphic by \epsffile{foo.ps}, or one can use the
\special commands as for example \special{psfile=foo.ps hscale=50 vscale= ....}. The first option has the advantage that tex automatically makes the box
for the graphic, magnifications can be specified with \epsfxsize and
\epsfysize. The second option provides more flexibility, as one can also rotate
the graphic (angle=...) etc. All this is very nicely described in the NexTTeX
manual that came as an .dvi file with NeXTTeX.  Have fun.

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (05/07/91)

    A number of people have answered my original question by pointing out
that the output of the print command is ps rather then eps.  I guess my
real question is "How can one get EPS out of Improv, or Webster?"  If
that is not possbile, my next question is "How can I convert the ps
file from the print command into an EPS file?".

Note to NeXT:  The print command should have a button to "Save as EPS". :-)

The EPS created from Icon works great.  In my original posting, I didn't
think it worked, however on another test, it worked great.

NeXT: The ultimate TeX environment.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

tvz@zandtwerk.Princeton.EDU (Timothy Van Zandt) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.192653.17696@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:

>    A number of people have answered my original question by pointing out
>that the output of the print command is ps rather then eps.  I guess my
>real question is "How can one get EPS out of Improv, or Webster?"  If
>that is not possbile, my next question is "How can I convert the ps
>file from the print command into an EPS file?".

In many cases, the easiest way to get an eps file is to copy graphics to
the pasteboard and copy the pasteboard to a file using the paste command
in a terminal window, as follows:

localhost> paste > foo.eps

Examples where this works:

1. A eps image is received by NeXTMail.

2. Graphs in Improv (use Command-a to select all before copying. TeXview
chokes on the resulting eps file, but tex and dvips work fine).

3. Worksheets in Improv (Select the data you want, and then choose Copy as
Graphic from the Edit menu.)

4. Graphs in Mathematica.

This does not work with Webster. You can convert Webster tiff files to eps
using the tiff2eps utility.

Tim Van Zandt
tvz@princeton

jeffa@janderholm.lotus.com (Jeff Anderholm) (05/24/91)

In article <9157@idunno.Princeton.EDU> tvz@zandtwerk.Princeton.EDU (Timothy Van
Zandt) writes:
> In article <1991May6.192653.17696@neon.Stanford.EDU>
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:

> >    A number of people have answered my original question by pointing out
> >that the output of the print command is ps rather then eps.  I guess my
> >real question is "How can one get EPS out of Improv, or Webster?"  If
> >that is not possbile, my next question is "How can I convert the ps
> >file from the print command into an EPS file?".
>
> In many cases, the easiest way to get an eps file is to copy graphics to
> the pasteboard and copy the pasteboard to a file using the paste command
> in a terminal window, as follows:
>
> localhost> paste > foo.eps
>
> Examples where this works:
>
> 1. A eps image is received by NeXTMail.
>
> 2. Graphs in Improv (use Command-a to select all before copying. TeXview
> chokes on the resulting eps file, but tex and dvips work fine).
>
> 3. Worksheets in Improv (Select the data you want, and then choose Copy as
> Graphic from the Edit menu.)
>
> 4. Graphs in Mathematica.
>
> This does not work with Webster. You can convert Webster tiff files to eps
> using the tiff2eps utility.
>
> Tim Van Zandt
> tvz@princeton

In Improv's Presentation Builder, you can also use File Save To and select EPS
to get a chart image for importing into other documents.

Jeff Anderholm
Lotus