[comp.sys.next] Improv <-> 1-2-3

jweiss@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jerry Weiss) (05/20/91)

 An accountant in our group fell in love with Improv.  We were all set
to order him one, when reality set it and he asked how hard it would
be to transfer his work to 123 on a pc.  Has anyone switched back and forth
between the two machines?  I imagine the data is easy enough to transfer but
getting forumla to function would seem to be a rougher road.  He has to share
financial information with others, few of whom will be getting NeXT's.

Jerry Weiss,  Northwestern Med School.

jeffa@janderholm.lotus.com (Jeff Anderholm) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May19.201925.3692@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>
jweiss@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jerry Weiss) writes:

>  An accountant in our group fell in love with Improv.  We were all set
> to order him one, when reality set it and he asked how hard it would
> be to transfer his work to 123 on a pc.  Has anyone switched back and forth
> between the two machines?  I imagine the data is easy enough to transfer but
> getting forumla to function would seem to be a rougher road.  He has to share
> financial information with others, few of whom will be getting NeXT's.
>

> Jerry Weiss,  Northwestern Med School.

Improv will import data, formulas and numericalformat information from 123
Release 2.X or 3.X files.   Macros, graphs, or Allways WYSIWYG formating
information are not read into Improv.   The resulting imported spreadsheet file
will be completely functional...it just might require some editing and clean up
to make it as useful as it can be under Improv.

Exporting to 123 file format is a breeze.   Simple use the File Save command
and choose either 2.X or 3.X format.  Your Improv formulas will be converted
into standard issue 123 formulas.

For those who don't want to abandon 123 on DOS completely, there is also SoftPC
on NeXT.  123 can be run in this DOS emulation Window..you can even copy/paste
from 123 on SoftPC into Improv.

Jeff Anderholm
Lotus