[comp.sys.next] running NeXTStep across Ethernet/Internet?

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (05/23/91)

How can I get a remote NeXT elsewhere on a network (or Internet)
to display on my local NeXT?

In X-speak, I'm looking for some analog of setting the $DISPLAY
variable on the remote host.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

gpoc@dsinext1 (Gianfranco Pocecai) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May22.172349.1228@math.ucla.edu> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu
(Barry Merriman) writes:

> How can I get a remote NeXT elsewhere on a network (or Internet)
> to display on my local NeXT?
>
> In X-speak, I'm looking for some analog of setting the $DISPLAY
> variable on the remote host.
>
> --
> Barry Merriman
> UCLA Dept. of Math
> UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
> barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)   barry@arnold.math.ucla.edu (NeXTMail)

On Your host , in the Preferences Applications, you should scroll to the Unix
button and set  Public Window Server.
Then log into the other host (elsewhere on the network) and give the command:

		ApplicationName -NXHost yourhostname

You can also run an app on your machine and have the interface shown on another
(on the other host you should have set the Window Server as Public) :

		ApplicationName -NXHost otherhostname

I hope this will help you.
bye
Gianfranco

Gianfranco Pocecai
Computer Science Department                    Tel.   : +39-2-7575244
University of Milano                           Fax    : +39-2-76110556
Via Moretto da Brescia, 9                      Telex  : 335199 - MIDSII
20133 Milano - Italy                           E-Mail : gpoc@dsinext1.unimi.it