[comp.sys.next] stty question

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (05/23/91)

When I telnet into a NeXT across the net, I have had problems with it
just printing a nl rather then a nl/cr at the end of each line.
 stty everything showed that -nl was set.
      (which should output CR-LF for carriage return or new-line)
 stty -extproc seemed to fix the problem.

I looked through the man pages for stty and tty(4), but didn't see any
mention of the -extproc flag.  Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

In article <1991May23.061038.21099@neon.Stanford.EDU>
	zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>I looked through the man pages for stty and tty(4), but didn't see any
>mention of the -extproc flag.  Does anyone know what it is?

extproc is "external processing"--it's a (new) feature of pseudo-
terminals necessary to support linemode telnet (RFC 1184).

Next Software Releases 2.0 and 2.1 ship with the 4.3-reno
versions of telnet and telnetd.  These are BROKEN, telnetd
rather severely.  There have been two subsequent official
Berkeley releases.  I have ported the most recent versions to the
NeXT, and fixed all the bugs I know about.  telnetd is done, but
I'm still playing with the telnet side.  I should have something
ready for release Real Soon Now.  If you absolutely can't wait
until then, send me private e-mail.

--> If you only have 2.x-Crippled (no compilers) don't bother.
--> Ditto if you're not on Internet with "connected" status.

					-=EPS=-