[net.auto] VW GTI Info Request

ams@philabs.UUCP (Ali Shaik) (02/17/86)

Okay, all you VW GTI fans!

Mail me some info on the GTI. Try and include stuff on:
	* General performance
	* Maintainance costs (Consumer Reports gives it ho-hum
			     grades here)
	* Price (recent buyers, could you haggle for below retail?)

Thanks. I will summarize your opinions.

	...!ihnp4!philabs!ams
..ucbvax /

Ali Shaik

msg@drutx.UUCP (GrahamM) (02/19/86)

OK, Here you are, I have an '85.

performance: a little underpowered, but all other performance aspects are
excellent!

Maintenance costs: Wasn't Consumer Reports talking about pre-85 Golf's and
GTI's? If so, ignore it, because '85 and '86 are almost completely different
cars. I have 15,000 miles. The only problem I've had was a bad fuel gauge.
Otherwise, NO problems.

Price: The sticker on my car was $11,800. I paid $10,300. Be persistent.
Especially at this time of the year, you get the good deals, because
nobody sells a lot of cars in the winter.

You won't be sorry.

Matt Graham
ihnp4!drutx!msg

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (02/21/86)

In article <626@drutx.UUCP> msg@drutx.UUCP writes:
>OK, Here you are, I have an '85.

(this is going to sound strange from a Mustang fanatic)

>Maintenance costs: Wasn't Consumer Reports talking about pre-85 Golf's and
>GTI's? If so, ignore it, because '85 and '86 are almost completely different
>cars. I have 15,000 miles. The only problem I've had was a bad fuel gauge.
>Otherwise, NO problems.
>
>You won't be sorry.
>
>Matt Graham
>ihnp4!drutx!msg

I thought Consumer Reports reviewed the Golf (as opposed to the U.S Rabbit).
At any rate, if I recall, they liked the car quite a bit, but refused to
recommend it because it failed the bumper-basher test miserably.  Now, if
only you could talk VWOA into installing >=5mph bumpers...

cheers,
-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"