[comp.sys.next] German digital answering machine/modem/fax?

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (05/21/91)

I recall a german company that was going to release
a digital answering machine/modem/fax (something wonderful
along those lines) for the NeXT this spring. Anyone
remember their name or how to get in touch with them?
Has anyone seen a demo of this?

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

mahmoud@karazm.math.uh.edu (Ahmed Mahmoud) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.182407.22103@math.ucla.edu> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>I recall a german company that was going to release
>a digital answering machine/modem/fax (something wonderful
>along those lines) for the NeXT this spring. Anyone
>remember their name or how to get in touch with them?
>Has anyone seen a demo of this?
>

>--
>Barry Merriman
>UCLA Dept. of Math
>UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
>barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

This is the message I received about MIX. This product is supposed to be able
to imulate a fax,modem,phone in software.
                                  ahmed

--------------------------------<cut>-------------------------------------
From piers@ilink.uucp Thu Apr  4 13:30:12 1991
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 12:48:32 MET DST
From: piers@ilink.uucp (Piers Uso Walter)
To: Ahmed Mahmoud <mahmoud@karazm.math.uh.edu>
Subject: Re:

Hello,

thanks for your inquiry about mix, the NeXT multimedia information
exchange.

mix is a telephone, modem, fax machine and voice mail system running
in software on the Digital Signal Processor that is built into every
NeXT computer.

Basically this is what you get:

- A voice mail system with digital storage for announcement and
  incoming messages
- A 9600 bps send and receive group III fax modem
- A 2400 bps full duplex data modem

All of this is totally integrated and (as a software product)
expandable with future software upgrades.
For all four services, mix gives you more functionality while being
easier to use than conventional hardware machines.

mix does NOT use a serial port on your NeXT computer and does not
need a power supply! The hardware is a small dongle-like thing that
connects the digital DSP-output to the phone line. Everything else
done by conventional telecommunications hardware is done in
DSP-software.

We showed mix at the CeBIT in Hannover and expect to start volume
shipments in summer.
The pricing has not yet been determined, expect to see a competitive
price.

You have been added to our mailing list, so that we will be able to
give you more information in the future.

This mail has been sent to you by info@ilink.de

i.link GmbH
Hammerstrasse 45c
1000 Berlin 37
Germany

+49 30 781 70 55 phone
+49 30 781 70 56 mix

P.S.	Please don't use info@ilink.de for the next couple of weeks -
	it won't work yet.
	Use info@ilink.uucp (or unido!ilink!info) instead.
	We hope to have this worked out very soon.

drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Adrian Smith) (05/25/91)

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

> I recall a german company that was going to release
> a digital answering machine/modem/fax (something wonderful
> along those lines) for the NeXT this spring. Anyone
> remember their name or how to get in touch with them?
> Has anyone seen a demo of this?
>

> --
> Barry Merriman
> UCLA Dept. of Math
> UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
> barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

I too am waiting for more info on this package. I believe it was called
MIX, but I lost the ph. # of the company. THey didn't speak english
anyway...

Any info on the package/company would be appreciated...

Adrian Smith              drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982