[comp.sys.next] startup preferences

rcw@GroupW.cns.vt.edu (Craig Woods) (05/24/91)

I have received two NeXTstations with 400 M drives and 8MB RAM.
One arrived in April, one yestereday.  I'm curious why one machine
has in the Preferences Panel (startup preferences) the options that
allow the computer to be turned on at a specified time.  The machine
that was received in April does not have those options.

---Craig Woods

In article <1770@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> rcw@GroupW.cns.vt.edu (Craig Woods) writes:
>I have received two NeXTstations with 400 M drives and 8MB RAM.
>One arrived in April, one yestereday.  I'm curious why one machine
>has in the Preferences Panel (startup preferences) the options that
>allow the computer to be turned on at a specified time.  The machine
>that was received in April does not have those options.

Simple.  NeXT is continually improving their products.
Unfortunately, there's no retrofit for the older machine, since
the change is to a surface-mount component--you'd need a new
motherboard.  The software detects which hardware is available
and adjusts accordingly.

					-=EPS=-

sdesai@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Sujay) (05/26/91)

In article <1770@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> rcw@GroupW.cns.vt.edu (Craig Woods) writes:
>I have received two NeXTstations with 400 M drives and 8MB RAM.
>One arrived in April, one yestereday.  I'm curious why one machine
>has in the Preferences Panel (startup preferences) the options that
>allow the computer to be turned on at a specified time.  The machine
>that was received in April does not have those options.
>
>---Craig Woods

The machine you received in April came with 2.0. And the machine
you just got recently came with 2.1.

--

-----California Polytechnic State University-----
                                               sdesai@polyslo.calpoly.edu