[net.auto] Unusual car spotted in Texas

fbr@utastro.UUCP (02/05/86)

Some weeks ago, in Austin, TX, some friends of mine saw a car with a
fuselage pod for a body, something like a BD-5 aircraft, and several
other unusual features.  It has tandem seating for a driver and a
passenger, a bubble that flips open for entry, rear wheel driven by
a chain, and two outrigger wheels slightly behind center (side view)
that stabilize it at low speeds (they probably don't do much when it's
underway).

Could someone supply a manufacturer for this?  There have been several
reports by others, also, on the Texas roads.

Please reply by mail.

fbr@utastro.UUCP

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (02/06/86)

>Some weeks ago, in Austin, TX, some friends of mine saw a car with a
>fuselage pod for a body, something like a BD-5 aircraft, and several
>other unusual features.  It has tandem seating for a driver and a
>passenger, a bubble that flips open for entry, rear wheel driven by
>a chain, and two outrigger wheels slightly behind center (side view)
>that stabilize it at low speeds (they probably don't do much when it's
>underway).
>
>Could someone supply a manufacturer for this?  There have been several
>reports by others, also, on the Texas roads.

I'm almost certain that's an experimental bicycle you are talking about,
not a car, try net.bicycle :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

lee@unmvax.UUCP (Lee Ward) (02/07/86)

> I'm almost certain that's an experimental bicycle you are talking about,
> not a car, try net.bicycle :-)
>
> 	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Nope, it is a car. I saw it at our state fair here. Got a real good look.
Uses a Kawasaki 1000 cc motorcycle engine. Pretty nice looking cockpit
too.
--
			--Lee (Ward)
			{ucbvax,convex,gatech,pur-ee}!unmvax!lee

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (02/10/86)

	That was a PROBE, and it comes in Kowasaki and Honda engine
	flavors.  Saw 2 at the DC car show a few weeks ago.  My son
	snarfed some material on it.  Will post when I find it.

	Kurt

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (02/12/86)

In article <248@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:

>	That was a PROBE, and it comes in Kowasaki and Honda engine
>	flavors.  Saw 2 at the DC car show a few weeks ago.  My son
>	snarfed some material on it.  Will post when I find it.
>
>	Kurt

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I was thrown off by the `diamond-wheel'
subject line.  So, I just now re-read the original article.

You said it looks like a BD-5 aircraft?  Well, I'm afraid I don't know what
a BD-5 looks like, but by an incredible coincidence (?) BD manufactured such
a car (basically a seated motorcycle with outriggers) some three or four years
ago.  I know; there were TWO of them pottering around DC for some time.  I
got a close-up look at one of them way back when, as it was parked in front
of the Smithsonian `Castle'.  But you said it has a flip-up cockpit bubble?
Hmmm...the BD ground vehicle's cockpit bubble slid forwards...

Around that time, there was a review of it done in Popular Science...I'll
try to find the issue date.

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"They were the elite, the vanguard of progress.  They would take mankind to
the heights...and perhaps beyond."
			-Arthur C. Clarke, Childhood's End

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (02/14/86)

In article <512@eneevax.UUCP> hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:
>In article <248@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>>
>>	That was a PROBE, and it comes in Kowasaki and Honda engine
>>	flavors.  Saw 2 at the DC car show a few weeks ago.  My son
>>	snarfed some material on it.  Will post when I find it.
>>
>>	Kurt
>
>Sorry for not responding sooner, but I was thrown off by the `diamond-wheel'
>subject line.  So, I just now re-read the original article.
>
>You said it looks like a BD-5 aircraft?  Well, I'm afraid I don't know what
>a BD-5 looks like, but by an incredible coincidence (?) BD manufactured such
>a car (basically a seated motorcycle with outriggers) some three or four years
>ago.  I know; there were TWO of them pottering around DC for some time.  I
>got a close-up look at one of them way back when, as it was parked in front
>of the Smithsonian `Castle'.  But you said it has a flip-up cockpit bubble?
>Hmmm...the BD ground vehicle's cockpit bubble slid forwards...
>
>Around that time, there was a review of it done in Popular Science...I'll
>try to find the issue date.

Well my original response was not that far off.  The following is from the
technical spec sheet on the PULSE (not PROBE), that my son picked up at
the DC Auto Show a few weeks ago. They had 2 of them there.

		1985 Technical Data: PULSE GCRV

Body		Impact resistant fiberglass
Seats		Two passenger (1 adjustable front, 1 rear) with seatbelts
Frame		Steel tubing
Windshield	Saftey Glass with wiper
Canopy		Tinted glass with lock and adjustable positions
Engine		Motorcycle engine
Transmission	Manual, 6 speed [ does that mean reverse? - klr ]
Brakes		Disc, front and rear
Tires		Radial
Instruments	Speedometer, turn signal indicators, high and low beam
		indicator, fuel gauge, volt meter and tachometer.
Also		Built-in rollbar, twin headlights (high and low beam),
		turn signals front ans rear, taillight, brake light,
		illuminated license plate housing [it's under glass - klr],
		horn, and 2 mirrors.
Dimensions	Length 194", Width 76", Height 54", Wheel Base 123"
Fuel Economy	70+ Miles per gallon
Empty Weight	1050 pounds
Options		Deluxe interiors, Super-Soundproofing [sic], AM/FM cassette
		stereo with CB, radar [huh?], clock, heater, defogger, reverse
		gear [as an option?], tow-bar, trailer hitch and
		much more !
Cost		[NOT ON THIS NETWORK! Call the number that follows - klr]

Engines		Yamaha 400cc YICS
		HONDA  500cc V4

		Manufactured by the OMCC
		Owosso Motor Car Company
		301-757-5374 (Richard Kline)

All standard disclaimers apply.  This is not an ad or an endorsement.
This is just a detailed answer to a question. - klr

Oh yes, it looks more like a rocket on wheels than a BD5j

Kurt Reisler

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (02/15/86)

In article <512@eneevax.UUCP> hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:

>You said it looks like a BD-5 aircraft?  Well, I'm afraid I don't know what
>a BD-5 looks like, [...]

If you've seen the first 5 minutes of "Octopussy", you've
seen a BD-5J.  (Or for that matter, the Coors Silver Bullet is
also a BD-5J, the 'J' standing for "jet".)

jeq

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (02/17/86)

In article <262@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>In article <512@eneevax.UUCP> hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:
>>
>>Around that time, there was a review of it done in Popular Science...I'll
>>try to find the issue date.

Well, friends, it was Popular Mechanics, not Pop. Sci., and since I no longer
have the original article, the reference comes from a letter in the March '86
issue.  Original article "the BD-200: It Almost Flies", page 148, Feb. '82.

>		1985 Technical Data: PULSE GCRV
		(unknown plans, BD-200)
>Body		Impact resistant fiberglass
		(same for BD)
>Seats		Two passenger (1 adjustable front, 1 rear) with seatbelts
		(ditto)
>Frame		Steel tubing
		(aluminum in the BD)
>Windshield	Saftey Glass with wiper
>Canopy		Tinted glass with lock and adjustable positions
		(Plexiglas, no wiper)
>Engine		Motorcycle engine
>Transmission	Manual, 6 speed [ does that mean reverse? - klr ]
>Brakes		Disc, front and rear
>Tires		Radial
>Instruments	Speedometer, turn signal indicators, high and low beam
>		indicator, fuel gauge, volt meter and tachometer.
>Also		Built-in rollbar, twin headlights (high and low beam),
>		turn signals front ans rear, taillight, brake light,
>		illuminated license plate housing [it's under glass - klr],
>		horn, and 2 mirrors.
>Dimensions	Length 194", Width 76", Height 54", Wheel Base 123"
>Fuel Economy	70+ Miles per gallon
>Empty Weight	1050 pounds
>Options		Deluxe interiors, Super-Soundproofing [sic], AM/FM cassette
>		stereo with CB, radar [huh?], clock, heater, defogger, reverse
>		gear [as an option?], tow-bar, trailer hitch and
>		much more !
>Cost		[NOT ON THIS NETWORK! Call the number that follows - klr]

		(the pictured BD has no obvious headlights, mirrors, or such.
		Needless to say, the BD is a low-frills design)

>Engines		Yamaha 400cc YICS
>		HONDA  500cc V4
>
>		Manufactured by the OMCC
>		Owosso Motor Car Company
>		301-757-5374 (Richard Kline)
>
>All standard disclaimers apply.  This is not an ad or an endorsement.
>This is just a detailed answer to a question. - klr

The original plans for the BD are available from Jim Bede, Bede Design,
1215 Crawford Rd., Lakewood, OH 44107.  As usual, this isn't an ad or such,
just an informative notice.

And yes, this is the same Jim Bede who designs aircraft.

-dave

--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742
hsu@eneevax.umd.edu  {seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!hsu

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

derrell@lipman.UUCP (derrell) (02/17/86)

After this rehash is a *different* diamond-wheel-layout vehicle description.

> In article <512@eneevax.UUCP> hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:
> >In article <248@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
> >>
> >>	That was a PROBE, and it comes in Kowasaki and Honda engine
> >>	flavors.  Saw 2 at the DC car show a few weeks ago.  My son
> >>	snarfed some material on it.  Will post when I find it.
> >>
> >>	Kurt
> >
> >Sorry for not responding sooner, but I was thrown off by the `diamond-wheel'
> >subject line.  So, I just now re-read the original article.
> >
> >You said it looks like a BD-5 aircraft?  Well, I'm afraid I don't know what
> >a BD-5 looks like, but by an incredible coincidence (?) BD manufactured such
> >a car (basically a seated motorcycle with outriggers) some three or four years
> >ago.  I know; there were TWO of them pottering around DC for some time.  I
> >got a close-up look at one of them way back when, as it was parked in front
> >of the Smithsonian `Castle'.  But you said it has a flip-up cockpit bubble?
> >Hmmm...the BD ground vehicle's cockpit bubble slid forwards...
> >
> >Around that time, there was a review of it done in Popular Science...I'll
> >try to find the issue date.
> >

> Well my original response was not that far off.  The following is from the
> technical spec sheet on the PULSE (not PROBE), that my son picked up at
> the DC Auto Show a few weeks ago. They had 2 of them there.

> 		1985 Technical Data: PULSE GCRV
>
> Body		Impact resistant fiberglass
> Seats		Two passenger (1 adjustable front, 1 rear) with seatbelts
> Frame		Steel tubing
> Windshield	Saftey Glass with wiper
> Canopy		Tinted glass with lock and adjustable positions
> Engine		Motorcycle engine
> Transmission	Manual, 6 speed [ does that mean reverse? - klr ]
> Brakes		Disc, front and rear
> Tires		Radial
> Instruments	Speedometer, turn signal indicators, high and low beam
> 		indicator, fuel gauge, volt meter and tachometer.
> Also		Built-in rollbar, twin headlights (high and low beam),
> 		turn signals front ans rear, taillight, brake light,
> 		illuminated license plate housing [it's under glass - klr],
> 		horn, and 2 mirrors.
> Dimensions	Length 194", Width 76", Height 54", Wheel Base 123"
> Fuel Economy	70+ Miles per gallon
> Empty Weight	1050 pounds
> Options		Deluxe interiors, Super-Soundproofing [sic], AM/FM cassette
> 		stereo with CB, radar [huh?], clock, heater, defogger, reverse
> 		gear [as an option?], tow-bar, trailer hitch and
> 		much more !
> Cost		[NOT ON THIS NETWORK! Call the number that follows - klr]
>
> Engines		Yamaha 400cc YICS
> 		HONDA  500cc V4
>
> 		Manufactured by the OMCC
> 		Owosso Motor Car Company
> 		301-757-5374 (Richard Kline)
>
> All standard disclaimers apply.  This is not an ad or an endorsement.
> This is just a detailed answer to a question. - klr
>
> Oh yes, it looks more like a rocket on wheels than a BD5j
>
> Kurt Reisler

At the Los Angeles auto show, I saw another diamond-wheel vehicle.  It
was called LITESTAR and is available now (according to what I was told
at the show, from:

   Earthship Enterprises
   1615 University Ave.
   San Diego, CA 92103
   (916) 260-1999

According to the LITESTAR brochure, "The LITESTAR was designed by the
world renowned aeronautical engineer James R. Bede.  He began his
career as a performance Engineer for North American Aviation, and was
instrumental in the development of the F4J and the A3J jet aircraft.
In 1961, Bede established Bede Aviation and produced the popular BD
series jets.  NASA and the U.S. Air Force use these jets as a
proficency measurement criteria and Albert R. Brocolli chose the BD
jet for use in the recent James Bond film, OCTOPUSSY.  Since 1979
Bede has been involved in high mileage ground vehicles.  This research
has culminated in the LITESTAR, the ultimate commuter vehicle."

The following specifications are given:

Model 700:
  Length -- 194"
  Width --  76"
  Height -- 54"
  Carry Load -- Two passengers and luggage
	    [luggage is stored behind the rear passenger]
  Empty weight -- 820 Lbs.
  Drag Coefficent -- .092
  Engine -- 700cc V twin liquid cooled shaft drive
  Brakes -- Double disc front / drum rear
  Transmission -- 5 speed with overdrive 6th and reverse
  Acceleration 0-55 -- 6.7 seconds
  Maximum speed -- 140+ mph
  Fuel Economy -- 75 mpg (your actual mileage may vary)
  Fuel Capacity -- 5 gallons
  Base Price -- [I guess I'm not supposed to put in the price on this
  		 network, so the above address/phone number may be
		 used to contact these guys]

All standard disclaimers apply.  This is not an ad or an endorsement.
This is just a response to a question.

rgale@man.UUCP (Ryan Gale) (02/21/86)

In article <116@lipman.UUCP>, derrell@lipman.UUCP (derrell) writes:

> At the Los Angeles auto show, I saw another diamond-wheel vehicle.  It
> was called LITESTAR and is available now (according to what I was told
> at the show, from:
>
>    Earthship Enterprises
>    1615 University Ave.
>    San Diego, CA 92103
>    (916) 260-1999
      ^^^
      This should be (619).

Disclaimer:  I know nothing about Earthship Enterprises, but I know what
	     my phone number is.

--

Ryan Gale
{ihnp4, akgua, decvax} !sdcsvax!man!rgale

al@umich.UUCP (Allen Leibowitz) (02/21/86)

> >	That was a PROBE, and it comes in Kowasaki and Honda engine
> >	flavors.  Saw 2 at the DC car show a few weeks ago.  My son
> >	snarfed some material on it.  Will post when I find it.
> >
> >	Kurt

I talked to the designer of a vehicle like this a couple
of years ago when he was showing his car in Ann Arbor.

It was based on 400cc Kawaski bike.  I believe he was from
Ohio.  There are about 5 of these out in the back of Domino's
Pizza's world headquarters.  Three of which have been painted with
the corporate colors.