[net.auto] front wheel drive steering

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (02/19/86)

Ok you net.auto fans, here's one for you.  I have only driven two
front wheel drive cars,but noticed in both of them that they tend to
drift to the right side of the road.  This is especially noticeable
when accelerating.  Is this a phenomenom common to front wheel drive
cars, or did I just get lucky to have two that were out of alignment
in the same way?  Thanks in advance.

					Addison
					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

My brother? I always thought of him as mom and dad's science project.

4373jml@homxb.UUCP (J.LISS) (02/20/86)

You don't mention whether its a transverse mounted or in-line engine.

msm@teddy.UUCP (02/20/86)

> Ok you net.auto fans, here's one for you.  I have only driven two
> front wheel drive cars,but noticed in both of them that they tend to
> drift to the right side of the road.  This is especially noticeable
> when accelerating.  Is this a phenomenom common to front wheel drive
> cars, or did I just get lucky to have two that were out of alignment
> in the same way?  Thanks in advance.
>
> 					Addison
> 					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

Sound's like you are describing 'Torque-Steer' to me. This arises because
one wheel is closer to the engine than the other. The further wheel has a
longer shaft to get it's power from, and therefor develos more torque. This
force imbalance will pull the car to one side when you boot it. The solution
is to put "half-shafts" into the drive train so that there is an equal length
of drive shaft leading to each side. My Dodge Daytona has this and even when
I punch it (~150 hp) there is no pull whatsoever. The early Shelby Chargers,
however, did not have this and were supposed to be real beasts to control.

                                                    MSM

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (02/21/86)

In article <1127@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:
>Ok you net.auto fans, here's one for you.  I have only driven two
>front wheel drive cars,but noticed in both of them that they tend to
>drift to the right side of the road....

My new Toyota Tercel does it, and I just had my Behemoth Electra
aligned, and it does the same. I had always attributed it to the fact
that highways are made to slant slightly away from the middle line
so that water won't collect; thus, if I am driving on the right side,
my car will lean to the right. I tested this theory on a 4-lane by
driving in the left lane and letting go of the steering wheel
(carefully, of course!); sure enough, there is much less tendency to
pull to the right. On the far left, there is actually a tendency to
pull to the left.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!dave)

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (02/22/86)

In article <1127@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:

>Ok you net.auto fans, here's one for you.  I have only driven two
>front wheel drive cars,but noticed in both of them that they tend to
>drift to the right side of the road.  This is especially noticeable
>when accelerating.  Is this a phenomenom common to front wheel drive
>cars, or did I just get lucky to have two that were out of alignment
>in the same way?  Thanks in advance.

(in a later article he mentions that the two cars are Skylark and Skyhawk)

This is a phenomenon known as 'torque steer' and it results from
unequal amounts of torque being transmitted to the two driving front
wheels.  The problem increases with engine horsepower; it's
unnoticeable with 50 hp, but with 200 hp you will have problems
keeping he car on the road under full acceleration.

The issue can be avoided in the design phase by making the driveshafts
equal length (as they are in a RWD car), but with a transverse engine
it is less expensive not to do so, so the problem is often ignored.
Witness the J-car and X-car that you have driven.  Apparently the
problem has been corrected on the Turbo J-cars (necessary!) by making
the shorter driveshaft thicker at the mid-point and thus giving the
two shafts equal angular momentum.

The problem was never as serious with the Rabbit/Jetta/Scirocco, and
the new Golf/Jetta have practically equal-lenght driveshafts.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

junk@ur-tut.UUCP (Jan Vandenbrande) (02/22/86)

In article <2134@teddy.UUCP> msm@teddy.UUCP writes:
>> Ok you net.auto fans, here's one for you.  I have only driven two
>> front wheel drive cars,but noticed in both of them that they tend to
>> drift to the right side of the road.  This is especially noticeable
>> when accelerating.
>
>Sound's like you are describing 'Torque-Steer' to me. This arises because
>one wheel is closer to the engine than the other. The further wheel has a
>longer shaft to get it's power from, and therefor develos more torque. This
>force imbalance will pull the car to one side when you boot it. The solution
>is to put "half-shafts" into the drive train so that there is an equal length
>of drive shaft leading to each side.

I thought that another solution to this problem of torque steer was
to give the two shafts the same (or close) inertial properties.
I believe that VW tries to achieve this by having the shorter shaft
solid, and the longer shaft hollow. I haven't yet experienced the
phenomenon described above with my VW toy.
Jan.