[comp.sys.next] Another KErmit problem!!

nates@sporobolus.NREL.ColoState.EDU (Nate Sammons) (05/27/91)

Hey guys,

	Thanks for the help getting Kermit to successfully run,

	but, now, kermit is running, (Alpha 23, I believe.)
But, when I download something, I can sometimes uudecode it,
but not always, and even when I do, it will not uncompress
or untar (tar -xf filename)...

	The error is that the checksums are different,
but isn't kermit supposed to do checksums on each
packet??  Then if it is wrong, won't it resend the packet??

			Puzzled,
					-Nate Sammons

				<nates@Sporobolus.NREL.ColoState.Edu>
				<nsammons@Lobo.RMHS.Colorado.Edu>

jweiss@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jerry Weiss) (05/27/91)

In article <15153@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> nates@sporobolus.UUCP (Nate Sammons) writes:
>	but, now, kermit is running, (Alpha 23, I believe.)
>But, when I download something, I can sometimes uudecode it,
>but not always, and even when I do, it will not uncompress
>or untar (tar -xf filename)...

I have seen this problem as well.  I am downloading files to a machine with
an Internet connection, then kermiting the results to our Next.  I noticed
however than if I uncompress before I kermit, I am more successful.

Im not entire clear as to where the problem is.  The modems in use operate with
MNP-5 and I have never seen a transmission error with them.  Something is
corrupting the data,  but I believe there are many suspects.

Jerry S. Weiss
Northwestern Univ. Medical School

jsr@dexter.mi.org (Jay S. Rouman) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May27.051141.23286@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> jweiss@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jerry Weiss) writes:
>In article <15153@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> nates@sporobolus.UUCP (Nate Sammons) writes:
>>	but, now, kermit is running, (Alpha 23, I believe.)
>>But, when I download something, I can sometimes uudecode it,
>>but not always, and even when I do, it will not uncompress
>>or untar (tar -xf filename)...
>
>I have seen this problem as well.  I am downloading files to a machine with
>an Internet connection, then kermiting the results to our Next.  I noticed
>however than if I uncompress before I kermit, I am more successful.

It sounds like the sending Kermit is not set to binary.  Since the
sending end controls the attribute packets, it's easy to set your
receiving Kermit to binary and assume everything will be ok.  Not so.

Use SET FILE TYPE BINARY on the remote end before invoking a SEND or
SERVER command.  Alternatively, "kermit -i -x" will invoke Kermit as a
binary-sending server.  The default TEXT mode will happily garbage
compressed files.
--
Jay S. Rouman       Voice: 517/773-7887 | Distrust education.  Two of
              E-mail: jsr@dexter.mi.org | the three R's are misspelled.

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.135314.12950@dexter.mi.org>, jsr@dexter.mi.org (Jay S. Rouman) writes:
> In article <1991May27.051141.23286@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> jweiss@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jerry Weiss) writes:
>>In article <15153@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> nates@sporobolus.UUCP (Nate Sammons) writes:
>>>	but, now, kermit is running, (Alpha 23, I believe.)
>>>But, when I download something, I can sometimes uudecode it,
>>>but not always, and even when I do, it will not uncompress
>>>or untar (tar -xf filename)...
>>
>>I have seen this problem as well.  I am downloading files to a machine with
>>an Internet connection, then kermiting the results to our Next.  I noticed
>>however than if I uncompress before I kermit, I am more successful.
>
> It sounds like the sending Kermit is not set to binary.  Since the
> sending end controls the attribute packets, it's easy to set your
> receiving Kermit to binary and assume everything will be ok.  Not so.
>
> Use SET FILE TYPE BINARY on the remote end before invoking a SEND or
> SERVER command.  Alternatively, "kermit -i -x" will invoke Kermit as a
> binary-sending server.  The default TEXT mode will happily garbage
> compressed files.
> --
> Jay S. Rouman       Voice: 517/773-7887 | Distrust education.  Two of
>               E-mail: jsr@dexter.mi.org | the three R's are misspelled.
	This exchange reminds me that I have had frequent problems trying to
	uncompress (8mb slab; OS v2.1) files transferred via kermit but these
	files can, in my experience, be uncompressed and untar'ed piping
	output of zcat into tar.  I have the impression that this is the
	preferred method anyway since I ran across this method in the
	instructions for installing some software that I had obtained as a
	compressed, tar'ed image.

	Instructive comments, anyone?

	BTW, I have found this version of kermit to be great.  I use it with
	an old Hayes V-series 9600 baud modem and, by setting large block
	sizes, attain sustained transmission rates of about 1000CPS.  Modems
	on the other end are the new Hayes modems (Ultima? or something like
	that) and I am usually communicating with a DECstation 3100 at the
	other end through a MICOM port selector.

c.f.waltrip

Internet:	<waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.

jweiss@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jerry Weiss) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.135314.12950@dexter.mi.org> jsr@dexter.mi.org (Jay S. Rouman) writes:

>It sounds like the sending Kermit is not set to binary.  Since the
>sending end controls the attribute packets, it's easy to set your
>receiving Kermit to binary and assume everything will be ok.  Not so.

[misc deleted]

It would be nice if it were that simple, but both sides were set to binary.
The key to the mystery is that while .tar files work after being transfered,
.Z files will not.  I'm not entirely convinced the problem is with kermit.