[comp.sys.next] help!

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (08/15/89)

I have a fairly sophisticated NIB file that I can't open
any more (system 0.9).

I have been developing a program over quite some time, and
using Interface Builder heavily.  Yesterday I couldn't open
the interface file; in fact, Interface Builder crashes
consistently when trying to open the file.

CLUES:

1.  The last time I saved the file, I was quitting out of IB
and it mentioned that the file had been modified and asked
me if I wanted to save it; I said "yes".  I have never
saved it that way in the past, I don't think.

2.  The interface contained in the file is OK, as I can build
the application with "make" and it runs just fine.

3.  The '~' backup file is identical and also unopenable.

4.  Strangely enough, I can succesfully open the file if I
open another interface file first, THEN try to open it, but
not always or reliably.

5.  I had just finished hand-constructing a bunch of icons
with "Icon" and pasting them onto buttons in the program.

6.  I constructed and deleted a few objects during the last
session with IB, notably some boxes and text objects, while
experimenting with the visual design.

7.  I used "bring to front" and "send to back" for the first
time during that session.

I can't think of anything else.  I don't know how to salvage
this interface and welcome any or all suggestions.

Thanks,
Glenn Reid
{decwrl,sun,next}!adobe!heaven!glenn

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (08/16/89)

I have another bit of mysterious information about Interface Builder
not being able to open my interface file.  I had the bright idea to
run it under "gdb", and although there appears to be no symbol table,
it does give an interesting error message.

Here is the session.  When I "run" the program and open the interface
file, it crashes as follows:

  heaven> gdb /NextApps/InterfaceBuilder
  GDB 9i0.83, Copyright (C) 1988 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for GDB; type "info warranty" for details.
  GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
   under certain conditions; type "info copying" to see the conditions.
  Reading symbol data from /NextApps/InterfaceBuilder...reading Objective-C data...done.
  Type "help" for a list of commands.
  (gdb) run
  Starting program: /NextApps/InterfaceBuilder
  Objective C error occurred in object at 0xe3ba0 of class FREED(id)
  message name sent to freed object=e3ba0
  === stack backtrace (in reverse chronological order) ===
  === [receiver selector args] @sentFrom[ClassName methodName] ===

  Program received signal 6, IOT trap
  0x502ba84 in kill ()

I am stymied by this one.  It looks like some object is being freed
before its time, resulting in the error.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Glenn

David.Hall@f222.n106.z1.fidonet.org (David Hall) (10/14/89)

I AM LOOKING FOR A DISKFORMAT UTILITY PROGRAM FOR AN EAGLE IIE
COMPUTER.IF YOU KNOW OF A SOARCE PLEASE DROP ME A LINE AT
PHOENIX RCPM PH. 713-495-3039.MY NAME IS DAVID HALL.

e343ca@tamuts.tamu.edu (Colin Allen) (08/31/90)

Something I did (I don't know what :-( has me in a real bind.  It's
something to do with fonts in Display Postscript.  Here are the symptoms:

Terminal when launched as a background process from another Terminal
window, starts up OK, except the menu box is blank, apart from the
Header bar.  At the same time an error message is echoed on the parent
window.  The message reads:
  DPS client library error:PostScript program error, DPSContext 1218c
  %%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: --nostringval-- ]%%
These two lines get repeated seven or eight times.

Digital Librarian starts up when launched from the workspace manager,
but there is no text anywhere, except in the header bars of the menu
and the main window.  Text typed into the request window shows up, but
nothing appears below after a search.  The internal icons are present,
but not their labels.

WriteNow briefly opens a window and then dies immediately.

I have not tried other applications, but it seems likely that they to
will have problems.

What did I do, and how do I fix it?

Colin Allen				e343ca@tamuts.tamu.edu
Department of Philosophy
Texas A&M University			(409) 845-3606
College Station, TX 77843-4237

e343ca@tamuts.tamu.edu (Colin Allen) (08/31/90)

Of course, one more thing to follow up my previous posting for help...

I can't rtfm (for the NeXT documentation) 'cuz WriteNow won't work.

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Shipley) (08/31/90)

Colin Allen writes:
>Something I did (I don't know what :-( has me in a real bind.  It's
>something to do with fonts in Display Postscript.  Here are the symptoms:
>
>  DPS client library error:PostScript program error, DPSContext 1218c
>  %%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: --nostringval-- ]%%

I'd do a "dread -l", and look for some global setting of a font that is
invalid.  If you see it, use "dremove" to nuke it.

-wil shipley

adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) (09/04/90)

In article <7845@helios.TAMU.EDU> e343ca@tamuts.tamu.edu (Colin Allen) writes:
>  DPS client library error:PostScript program error, DPSContext 1218c
>  %%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: --nostringval-- ]%%
>These two lines get repeated seven or eight times.
>

>WriteNow briefly opens a window and then dies immediately.

I have experienced the same problems.  My best observation to date
indicates that the problem only occurs when my memory configuration
exceeds 8M.  I have had no problem with either my original NeXT
memory or my new 1M SIMMs as long as I stay at 8M.

I share your interest in any solutions to this problem.

-Doug

neuliep@speedy.cs.uiuc.edu (Mike Neuliep) (10/16/90)

Could anyone tell me where I can buy an optical disk?

Does anyone have an old one they could sell me?

Please respond via e-mail because I dont read this newsgroup often.

Thanx				-Mike Neuliep
				neuliep@speedy.cs.uiuc.edu

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (05/28/91)

My experience with the following files:
  citall.mf cmcbx10.mf cmcbxsl1.mf cmcbxti1.mf cmcitt10.mf cmcsl10.mf
  cmcss10.mf cmcssdc1.mf cmcti10.mf cmcyr10.mf cyrcoding.mf cyrillic.mf
  cyrl.mf cyru.mf cytextit.mf has been very painful.

Metafont immediately gives me error messages about isolated
expressions when I run it on the steering file cyrillic.mf, and TeX
won't let me proceed without ".tfm" files.  TeXView compains about a
"design size mismatch" when it tries to run MakeTeXPK, and I get
miniscule dots for characters.  After eights hours of getting nowhere,
I feel as far from "plug and play" as can be.

If anyone was ever able to use this stuff on a NeXT machine, how did
you do it?  Thanks for any help.

Geoffrey S. Knauth                            E-Mail:    geoff@bos.camex.com
Camex / DuPont Imaging Systems Inc.           VoiceMail: (617) 426-7550 x451
75 Kneeland Street                            Reception: (617) 426-3577
Boston, Massachusetts  02111                  --standard disclaimers--