[comp.sys.next] X windows managers

zazula@neutron.physics.arizona.edu (Ralph E. Zazula) (05/24/91)

Has anyone compiled any other window managers for Mouse-X under 2.0?

I was trying to get Xview2 to compile but wasn't having much luck.
Is it even possible to get Xview2 (or any other "fancy" window
manager) to compile with the Mouse-X distribution, or, am I just
wasting my time?

Thanks,
Ralph

---- haven't moved my signature file to this machine yet...

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May23.230858.699@arizona.edu> zazula@neutron.physics.arizona.edu (Ralph E. Zazula) writes:
>Has anyone compiled any other window managers for Mouse-X under 2.0?
>
>I was trying to get Xview2 to compile but wasn't having much luck.
>Is it even possible to get Xview2 (or any other "fancy" window
>manager) to compile with the Mouse-X distribution, or, am I just
>wasting my time?

I have used just about every window manager there is on my cube...they compile
under X11 R4 on the NeXT as well as they do on any machine.  The only one I
have had problems with was "ugly window manager" (uwm), and that may have just
been the R3 version that gave me trouble.

Currently I use tvtwm, which in some ways is superior even to the NextStep
window manager in the things it can do.  It is available wherever contrib
source code is available for X.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Douglas Scott          Columbia University Computer Music Studio
Internet: <doug@woof.columbia.edu> <das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>
UUCP: ...!columbia!woof!zardoz!doug          Phone: (703)765-4771

jot@ifi.unit.no (Jo Torsmyr) (05/28/91)

Hi!

I compiled olwm (OPEN LOOK Window Manager) yesterday on a NeXTStation
running version 2.1 og Mouse-X. I have so far only built the olwm,
not any of the ol-apps (filemgr, cmdtool ...). I used tape-2 of the
release from MIT (requires imake, maybe...). Compiled the contents of the
/contrib/lib/olgx (libr. for OPEN LOOK) and /contrib/windowmgrs/olwm.
I had to manualle edit /change the makefiles, but that was no big deal.
If you want the makesfiles (and the sources, not many KB), I'' send
it to you. I've considered creating an anonymous ftp at our NeXT
(129.241.18.70 IP address), but haven't got any time yet :-(

Let me here from you! Im interested in public domain software for the
NeXT, we got our NeXTstation recently, so we don't have much software
on it...

yours
Jo Torsmyr
Department of Computer Science